• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whole Iltis Purchase

RJK said:
:cdn:
I'm going to have a look at an Iltis tomorow. I've done my research and here in Manitoba I'll be able to register it as a motor vehicle without any problems. It will run me about $700 per year for insurance and licence.

My question is does anyone know where I'll be able to get a rear antenna mount for the Iltis? I want to rig it up for mud RECCE and am going to need some bits and pieces.

RJK :tank:

Uhh... so you want a military antenna mount so your vehicle looks like it did while in service?  Antenna whip & cam nets & that sort of thing?

:cdn:

Thats the idea, I'm getting involved with the Ghost Squadron (which is affiliated with The Fort Garry Horse), they have mostly WWII vintage mil vehicles and I thought the Iltis would be a nice addition to the group. A buddy of mine was the B Sqn SM so I'll have lots of help there.

I'm just trying to get some ideas as to where to find stuff for the Iltis. I am well aware of the listings on ebay.

cheers

RJK :cdn:

The actual antenna mount was probably left there - if the vehicle was FFR - but the radio trays and the connecting bits - goose necks etc are all prolly long gone.

You might find this website useful:

http://ca.geocities.com/iltisvw@rogers.com/Iltistrickspage.html

I couldn't resist and purchased one. I have about $3500.00 tied up in it but that included mechanical and body repairs as well as insurance and registration. Insurance ranges from $440-$1500 for liability only, you just need to shop around. Parts are much easier to come by then most people realize and unless you want all parts to be NOS, you can purchase many through auto parts suppliers. Its a novely item for sure, lots of fun to run around in.

Does anyone know an insurance company that would insure this? Becasue I tried a couple and so far i'm having no luck!

I'm in Ontario so I KNOW it's been done. But how went right over my head.  ::)

Thanks.

-Tony

I'm not sure about Ont but here in MB, MPIC has a monopoly on auto insurance. but my unit ran me just over $500 for pleasure insurance. I have it registered as a Bombardire Iltis, truck.

Hope this helps

Rod

So far no luck. But if i move to Manitoba. Maybe if I go see a broker and have them look for me.

There should be absolutely no reason they won't insure an Iltis. It's just a VW with a different body. All that should matter is engine size and 4X4. They are perfectly road legal with an inspection.

Maybe they have no idea what it is? The lack of a VIN number throwing them off?

Wook

Could be. I called Bel-Air Direct. They said too old. I called the Personal (The CANEX Insurance) They said they couldn't help me. Didn't give a reason. I'm waiting on State Farm, And the guy that i'm buying it off of. I'll post once I find my awnser so other people won't have to jump through as many hoops.

Yup there's more then a few floating around. I know my Pl WO just bought one for herself :D she loves it. So do I! But I just can't justify shelling out that much money for a beater  :-\

I'm only shelling out a grand =D. The market is flooded down here near cornwall.

really?! OH BOOO! People are asking for $3900 out here  :'( that just sucks... why can't we be flooded with those things too? Come on share the wealth?!

I also wondered why we can't purchase from our individual units? There's a nice Iltis Amb that I've set my eye on... I call her Betty  ;D

Alot of them came from Pet. Alot of them got trucked up from gagetown. He had between 75-100 now he's down to about 25 left I think. Maybe we should start running them out west. Then you'd be happy eh?

I would be VERY happy. I'd offer him $700 for one of his Iltis, and a promise of a good night out in town :D Vancouver nights are GREAT  ;)

i'm getting a discount ;) . to get it out to VANCAN. lol $2000 probly. aha if it makes it =P.

see that's the worry by all parties involved :D will it make it out here?!  ;D

youravatar said:
Does anyone know an insurance company that would insure this? Becasue I tried a couple and so far i'm having no luck!

I'm in Ontario so I KNOW it's been done. But how went right over my head.  ::)

Thanks.

-Tony
Try North City
1888-892-7176
416-225-6000
www.northcity.ca

They give discounts to Paramedics, why not to someone with Military Driver Training Courses!

Cheers,
Ben

MedTech said:
I would be VERY happy. I'd offer him $700 for one of his Iltis, and a promise of a good night out in town :D Vancouver nights are GREAT  ;)

Buysell.com has two in Vancouver for 4990.00 each. Or try Defence Medal Canada at www.defencemedals.ca. You can buy one piece by piece. Me I just picked up a 1985 full sized Bronco.

hay all: :salute:
        I would like to know if any one has a copy of  the operators manual, for the canadian forces iltis,               
      if any one has a copy of this manual could you please email it to me it would be really appreciate it.             
      If you could please email me at Lagrois1@hotmail.com 
                                                                                  thankx pte.Lagrois  :salute:  :cdn:

Back