• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

So far what I have heard on the radio makes my stomach churn.  What kind of politicians and bureaucrats do we have running this country?  Sounds like they are sorely lacking in self esteem if their egos are so hurt by the character of General Hillier.  Aren't they elected and appointed to do their best for this country, or are they all just there to line their own pockets and resumes?

Silly questions, I know........but it really makes me sick at the pettiness of our elected officials.

CdnArtyWife said:
Good point IHS,

In fact IRC didn't Hillier actually bump the Navy out of their turn at CDS?? I would think that Robertson is a shoe-in for the next in line. As much as I'd personally like to see Leslie in that position, he will be ready in three to six years when the Army gets their turn again. He wants the time to grow as CLS first. He's humble enough to know when he's not quite ready for a position.
Huh.... Leslie won't vegetate in the CLS spot for another 3 to 6 years.... won't happen.
Leslie was named CLS in June of 2006.  Unless a spot opens up @ a higher level soon, his time will be up in June 2009.

Given that Natynczyk has a similar background as Hillier, Armoured, served as DCO of the US 2nd Corps; you can probably expect him to be the one with the most seamless transition BUT, there are many competent officers waiting for their turn at the brass ring.

I'm sorry but I think we shouldn't roll over for this one, rumors like this in Ottawa are always right . Gen. Hillier is the best thing that has happen to the CF in a long time . I like PM Harper but they want to put in another lap dog as CDS. This is wrong headed because we have the right man here to do the job , things are going to get even dicer in Afghanistan in the next year or so . Gen. Hillier is an absolutely incredibly hard working passionate soldier.  I have seen him head up to Trenton then leave for my Son's school in Perth Ont.. which is just a small rural High school and spend a couple of hours with a class to personally thank them for sending letters and posters to the soldiers in Afghanistan talking to them one on one about the mission , then same day head to the Senators Game for a support the troops rally that night .

I don't know how to start a petition on the net but I wish someone would , believe me they listen to something like this and the timing is right . Here is the P.M. email address in the meantime if you want Gen. Hillier to stay then tell them.  pm@pm.gc.ca

Cheers, Ken

George Wallace said:
So far what I have heard on the radio makes my stomach churn.  What kind of politicians and bureaucrats do we have running this country?  Sounds like they are sorely lacking in self esteem if their egos are so hurt by the character of General Hillier.  Aren't they elected and appointed to do their best for this country, or are they all just there to line their own pockets and resumes?

Silly questions, I know........but it really makes me sick at the pettiness of our elected officials.

Scared ones. They finally ran into a CDS who could out politic, out speak, out perform them, and they got rid of him ASAP.

RHFC_piper said:
since Gen. Hillier has been CDS, we've seen nothing but good in the forces in general.

Well, there's that little matter of the messy new command structure...

I am still wondering "why?" (regarding that command structure), but I remain a Hillier fan nonetheless. I first worked with him when he was OC Recce Squadron and that was a hoot (always enjoyable, but he made it more interesting and fun) and have flown him many times over the years since then.

The only other OC Recce Squadron that I distinctively remember from around then was Mark Davis/Davies - so tall that he had a splice stitched into his crewsuit.

RHFC_piper said:
btw...  what is BOHICA?

Bend Over - Here It Comes Again.

I am still not convinced of the accuracy of the story and its interpretation. It could also be a trial balloon floated to gauge public reaction.

Before calling the fire department, I'd call my neighbour to confirm my house was on fire if I was told there were confirmed reports it was ablaze in the MSM.  Just remember who the source was before you get bent out of shape.

BOHICA
Bend Over, Here It Comes Again

Some of the reactions here are more interesting than the in the MSM.

Gen Hillier has served as CDS over two governments and no matter how good/bad/indifferent he had been, his tenure is drawing to a close. He has done a remarkable job in revitalizing the CF and bringing us back into the public eye, and he certainly had the character and force of will to ensure "his" vision was actually implemented as far as possible. Assessing how that went is a job for future historians who will have time to examine things and also see the downstream effects of the changes he wrought.

All I can say is; "It was a pleasure serving during your tenure, sir, and best of luck in your future endeavours."

This is a non-story.

Gen Hillier will have served a usual three year posting as CDS come next February.  So what?  Of course he'll be replaced.  It's the natural order of things.

What would be REAL news is if he was asked to step down early or extended.

And just because the water isn't muddy enough, I submit this with the usual disclaimer:

MacKay denies report that chief of defence staff to be replaced

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - Defence Minister Peter MacKay says the Conservative government has no plans to replace Gen. Rick Hillier as chief of the defence staff.

MacKay has told reporters in Halifax that Hillier serves at the pleasure of the prime minister and Prime Minister Stephen Harper is pleased with the general's performance.

The minister also says that Hillier has shown tremendous leadership in the continuing war against terrorism.

An earlier report said Hillier would be replaced because he irked the government by outshining his political masters and undermining former defence minister Gordon O'Connor.

When the armed forces held a private farewell ceremony for O'Connor in Ottawa on Tuesday, Hillier showed up late.

The chief of defence staff - the country's top military commander - does not serve a defined term, but the average tenure is between three and five years and Hillier has served since February 2005

'No basis' to talk of replacing Hillier: MacKay
Updated Wed. Oct. 3 2007 10:30 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Any talk of the Conservative government replacing Gen. Rick Hillier as chief of defence staff is just speculation, says Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

"There's no basis to this discussion. We're at war with respect to terrorism. Gen. Hillier has shown great leadership and we have tremendous confidence in his ability," MacKay told reporters in Halifax on Wednesday.

"He serves at the pleasure of the prime minister, and the prime minister is pleased with the work he is doing."

CTV News reported Tuesday night that the Conservative government won't extend the charismatic top general's three-year term when it comes up for renewal in February. Some observers told CTV News they thought he wanted to stay on to oversee Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

However, Hillier may have personally decided not to stay on as the Armed Forces' chief of defence staff when his term expires.

Robert Fife, CTV's Ottawa bureau chief who broke the story, said a source told him late Tuesday that Hillier had decided against an extension to his term.

"We'll see if that in fact is the case. All his office will say is that his reappointment is the prerogative of the prime minister," Fife told Canada AM on Wednesday.
More on link

I would not be one bit surprised to see him retire after his tenure is up in February.

Having said that, the CDS is appointed by politicians, showing up late for a function that you were expected to attend must have really PO'd off a lot of his political masters. 

Gen Rick has been an outstanding CDS, he has, almost single handedly, restored the military to something the average citizen has taken some interest in, big change from the apathy before his tenure began.

I also have questioned some of his plans, the new national command, and his attempt at getting rid of tanks.  If it wasn't for the MND, we would not have tanks, old or new.  That must have caused a lor of arguments between the two of them!

I have had the distinct pleasure of serving with the CDS, and was even a member of his crew when he was a lowly Lt in the 8CH.  I have the greatest admiration and respect for him, and while I may question some of his decisions, I know that he has always tried to do what he thought was best for the military.

As an aside, if he does retire, I would love to see Gen Walt in there!

We've got a little poll going on over at The Torch asking whether Hillier should be replaced or not at the end of the "standard" three year term.

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/10/change-of-command.html

Feel free to weigh in on the question, as I'll be dropping the results into the in-boxes of a few people I know in Ottawa.

Lance... that would require us having two green generals in a row.....

This would be tragic loss in my humble opinion.  He's been the only person demonstrating any ability to communicate to the press and public why we're in Afghanistan, as the PMO, MOD and cabinet have shown absolutely incompetency in this regard.  The greatest mistake the PMO made was once they realized their MOD was incapable of effective communication, was not putting Hillier out front and letting him handle public relations.  If Hillier had handled all the press conferences I contend public opinion would be greatly different at this point in time....

Matthew.  :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
This would be tragic loss in my humble opinion.  He's been the only person demonstrating any ability to communicate to the press and public why we're in Afghanistan, as the PMO, MOD and cabinet have shown absolutely incompetency in this regard.  The greatest mistake the PMO made was once they realized their MOD was incapable of effective communication, was not putting Hillier out front and letting him handle public relations.  If Hillier had handled all the press conferences I contend public opinion would be greatly different at this point in time....

Matthew.  :salute:

I agree a great communicator. But also politically astute enough that  the reasons he has offered for our being in Afghanistan have shifted in emphasis over time. For the PMO it is all politics, not sure they could marshal a reasoned argument for our being there if they had to, and certainly O'Connor was over his head as a communicator.
It would be a real shame to see the energy he has generated toward reequipping and modernizing wither away with a new CDS.

CB...
It is not the MOD but the MND - the minister of national defense.

While the CDS is a good orator, it isn't supposed to be his job to deal with the public & the press.
He is supposed to deal with his political masters.... period.

I love Hillier as a CDS but if it has to happen right now, its the Navy turn and Robertson is no slouch!! (either is Leslie)

Green, Blue & Black... the next CDS will come from one of those colours.
There is no specific order or guarantee that each service will have his "turn" at the CDS' job.

Given taht the CF is involved is a shooting war & that it's mainly conducted by the army, then there is a concern for green insight BUT, you can't completely overlook the Blue & Black sides of the house... else THOSE arms risk atrophy and neglect..... and everyone will pay for that oversight.

Some thought for the big guys to mull over.

Back