• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Cadets are offensive?

• Thread starter Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good attitude mate!

There is more to Cadets than ‘survival and camping‘. Its about character building, confidence building, respect, disicpline, national pride, and leadership training.

It gives underprivillaged kids a chance to participate in a range of activities, and steers them from hopefully the wrong crowd.

I am sure the RCACC has saved many kids from turning bad. Its kept them in school, and given them great oppertunites overall.

However, life is what you make it too. Cadets only get what their Cadre staff and CIL have to offer.

Its an avenue for more potential recruits into the CF system.

This is coming from a person who never was in the cadets at all, but did a 1 yr ‘tour‘ in the Boy Scouts (1970). I did not learn much there. One 2 day summer camp, thats about it.

Cheers,

Wes

Okay.. why don‘t i like cadets?

Well firstly, i have to say that it‘s not that i hate all of them, i just dislike the image that they portray..

secondly, my experience with cadets in Garrison is that they think that the rank that they get holds fast... I‘ve had cadet sgts tell me what to do, holler at me when i kindly reminded them that they were only Cadets, try to make me do push ups when i laughed at his machoism, and then try to report me... that‘s the one reason that i don‘t really get along with cadets.

thirldy, some of the ex-cadets that were on my BMQ had the "I‘m better then you" air around them. they felt that they didn‘t need to do any of this because they already knew it all..

Come on Gryph, thats a pi_$$ weak attitude, and judging by your post, it tells me you have little tolorance, and not much time in. Let your maturity work for you, not against.

How would you deal on a tour somewhere? Think about what you have said!

There will always be ill feelings between cadet and army (its competiton in a sense. Call it esprit du corps if you wish), as there is here even between corps, etc. Reg/ Res too. I have met soldiers from both, who are good and bad. Its everywhere in every job

So you think Cdn youth wearing Cadet uniforms selling poppies for 11 Nov is a bad image?

Where are you coming from?

Crikey, they are just kids. Feeling their independance for the first time for many. Bad should mean in need of a hair cut or an iron. However if properly looked after by proper leadership, this would not be a problem.

As for cadets who move on to the Army, sure some might have a attitude, but many keep their mouths shut, and use their expereince as a useful tool for themselves, and others. It called maturity, and discipline.

I think you see a small minority, who unfortunatly are seen and observed by their attitudes, and arogant ways.

Cheers,

Wes

Sounds to me like some people are losing perspective here. They are kids, didn‘t swear an oath like we all did to defend Canada. They are emulating what they want to be...

Immatation is the finest form of flattery ;)

Regards

Just out of curiosity, how different is the drill in the reserves and the reg‘s?

I do agree it keeps them off the street, But at work, most of them bring the street to cadets. Even In ther Parade unifourm, they still wear sneakers, hats, doraggs. Not fully turned out.

Most got the im better then you, or the powertrip. I sit in my mess, THAT I pay to use, in my civis waiting for the substores to open, and 1/2 the time some Cadet CSM starts yelling at me to get out.

I nevered had or seen that problem when i was in.

Originally posted by sgt_mandal:
[qb] Just out of curiosity, how different is the drill in the reserves and the reg‘s? [/qb]
Cadets are more likely to engage in monkey drill, but when they go by the book (which is most of the time), it‘s the same book. That‘s not an expression- they use the exact same drill manual as reg and reserve forces. I was on a cadet drill team that made up some pretty interesting movements though...

The difference in drill, I would imagine that regs tend to have the best as they have more time on their hands. It varies in the reserves from unit to unit, and wether or not there is parade or something comeing up. Cadets? Most of the cadets I have seen have piss poor drill, but that is more the result of having people teach them drill, who never learned how to do it right in the first place, and it is just a loop. But to be fair I have seen some Reservists who bear march like champs.

P.S. It is a pet peeve of mine but "Boy" Scouts has not existed for quite some time. The official name has been just Scouts since about 92, when they started going Co-ed.

I never let a cadet on our Drill Deck if they were wearing an improper uniform..."I forgot my boots" isn‘t a good excuse, at least not as far as I‘m concerned. They can parade when they look like a cadet.

I had an interesting time last night...I was teaching rifle drill to some cadets, and some guy was like, "No, at the final movement, the left hand should just be flat against the rifle, along with the forearm.....that‘s the way we‘ve always done it"....safe to say, that is now past tense :)

CH

I don‘t know, I think Cadet‘s is good for younger kids but bad for some. I think once they start getting stripes on their arm their head swells and they become so in love with themselves. It should build confidence and give interest in the forces I agree, but I have met a cadet that came up to me because he had sgt stripes on and demanded I call him sgt. I‘m in the reserves by the way going reg force in May. I laughed at him, he ran to tell an officer...who was a cadet, and I had to stand at attention while being reemed at by a cadet officer..Apparently I have to salute and respect cadets.

That‘ kind of thing isn‘t called for in my eyes. I know reserves don‘t do much compared to regs, but compared to cadets?> I don‘t feel as though the cadets have done anything at all by comparison. It should just be like a little club with friends and stay at that, teach discipline etc. I also find no use in it because well that‘s all they do. They play soldier and that‘s it. That‘s why I‘m going reg. Nothing wrong with reserves but cadets in my oppinion is bs. Waste of space. I really wish we were allowed to punch some of them in the face actually, half of them deserve it.

This one guy that was in my bmq with me was a WO in his cadet thing, also in the reserves. He was 18. I seen him with his cadets the one day, and he was yellin and screaming at them like we had done to us, nonsense. Complete nonsense.

Throw a buncha cadets in the field for a few days in the rain, with an 80lb ruck on their back eating nothing but IMP‘s....ha! Til they do just that, I‘ll never respect them. Again, waste of space. In my oppinion of course...

Well there‘s a big difference that will allways stay there. When you join the Cadets, it‘s to have fun and learn cool stuff, that‘s what all teens like. It‘s pretty much to have fun so things are a little less serious. When you join the reserves, it‘s serious. You go there because you want to. Not to have fun. Some teens are serious and that‘s the kind we need. But have all mature teens is pretty much impossible.

But there are bad sides and good sides about Cadets. The one I really like is that it gives them something to do and keeps them off the streets.

When you are in the reserves, it serious, you don‘t have a choice. But Cadets is pretty much babysitting but I don‘t think it‘s a bad thing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Should you call a C/Sgt a Sgt? Yes. In their organization, that‘s what they are. I haven‘t been referred to by just my last name for a long time, and I seldom answer officers who just call me by my last name.

However, I suppose you are correct. You are under no obligation to call them a Sgt...but they are under no obligation to call you anything either. Mutual respect there.

Funny thing about Cadet Officers....they actually ARE part of the Canadian Forces, and hold a REAL commission....ergo, yes, you DO have to salute them. They are a sub unit of the Reserves. Funny thing ain‘t it.

Some cadets go out into the field for a few days, rain or shine, and eat IMP‘s. Even on weekends when we are actually in some barracks, we usually eat IMP‘s to save costs.

You‘re comparring apples to oranges with the Reserves to Cadets thing....Reserves are part of the CF. Cadets isn‘t an actual branch (even though our officers are). It is a youth organization...it‘s not supposed to be anything more.

I‘m not even sure about that WO comment....OK, so a C/WO was on your BMQ...and you saw him treating his cadets like you were being treated by your Reg/Reserve WO?.....and your point is? They do mirror the forces structure, ergo, the responsability that a Reg/Reserves WO has, the C/WO has a lower scale, but as a whole holds the same ‘position‘ and commands the same respect from his ‘troops‘ in his unit. It doesn‘t transfer over to the Reg Force/Reserves.

So no, he didn‘t tell his officer who was a cadet, he told his officer who was, well, an officer.

I know some Reg/Reserve people out here refused to salute CIC Officers...they ended up infront of the Base Chief or the Admiral for doing so.

CH

A CIC Officer should know enough to tell that cadet he doesn‘t have rank on anyone but cadets.

I was in Air Cadets so I can‘t say much for the Army side but I found it to be very practical. I think there is less of the wannabes as Air Cadets doesn‘t have much of the military side outside of range, drill, and the structure. It‘s a great program for developing youth and leadership. For a youth program it really is second to none.

Originally posted by 3005_MWO:
[qb]

Funny thing about Cadet Officers....they actually ARE part of the Canadian Forces, and hold a REAL commission....ergo, yes, you DO have to salute them. They are a sub unit of the Reserves. Funny thing ain‘t it. [/qb]
From what I‘ve been told, Reservist an Reg Force dont have to salute CICS, except if they hold the rank or Major or LCol?

An yes, technically CICs are a subunit in the reserve, but they dont have any of the same standards or training.

In general i have Great respect For the Qualities Cadets Instills In The Youth of Today its Better they Go and Do Something then Steal Rape And Pillage

My only Distain Comes From a MWO Cadet Who Happened To Attend Our Change of Command Parade.. Apparently Our Marching wasnt As Good as It should Have Been and He Made a Rather Nice Comment About it

A Fellow Sapper Set him right

The Cadet program is an investment in the future of our country. I was in for 7 years and can easily say that the cadet program made me a much better person then I would have been and there are thousands of others that would say the same.

Cadets use the same drill manual as regs and from my experiences, my aircadet squadrons drill is 10 times better then the reserve unit that I am in right now.

Bottom line is the cadet program is worth the money and anyone who says otherwise either was never a cadet ( in which case they have no idea what it is like to be in the program ) or they had bad leadership in their units.

lol...ergo...ergo...ergo. That‘s all I gotta say. Oh ya, and comparing apples to oranges? Or cadets to soldiers? I think that‘s what I was doing there actually. The only thing good about cadets, is it keeps kids busy off the streets, out of drugs...no wait a second, I ran into a few kids smoking a joint who were wearing cadet uniforms! So ‘ergo‘ cadets are still, useless. Like I said all powerful super cadet man, spend your time with a 80lb ruck on, hikin with that for 18 hours, then tell me what the difference between cadets and reserves is...and really, how useless the organization is. Sorry..I just really can‘t like the cadets. No offence to the good ones who don‘t power trip. :dontpanic:

I‘m negative on the cadet movement because of all the things I‘ve seen over the past 27 years.

At times it seemed to me that all they learned was how to swear and smoke.

Most CIL officers I met were losers - living their second childhood vicariously through their cadets (that is, when they weren‘t sexually molesting them ...)

Prior to 1981 the CIL offrs weren‘t part of the PRes - however, that came to a screeching halt due to an incident to which I was an eye witness: One day, I was going back to quarters in order to go for my lunchtime run when I noticed my friend‘s Porsche with a broken window. Sitting in the driver‘s seat was ... a CIL officer, babbling something about the moon ... (?) Anyway, it turned out CIL offrs fell between the cracks when it came to QR&O‘s (!) So, they became part of the Reserve mainly so they could face charges (and, as it turns out, quite a few of them face charges for sexual assault and other not so nice things ...).

Then there was the CIL officer who mentioned to me one day that he wasn‘t sure about something ... it turned out he was contemplating deflowering a young female air cadet who thought he was ‘big man on campus‘ because he flew the glider tug in Borden ... (sheeyah - what wonderful ‘leadership‘ he was exhibiting ...)

Perhaps cadets was a better organisation at some point in the past, and perhaps there are good cadet corps out there - unfortunately, I haven‘t seen enough of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back