• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why does Haig get the shaft?

Hi Dan, it has been while.  Good to hear from you again.

Only the first time you disagree with me?  I'm obviously not trying hard enough.

I agree entirely with your comments about the PBI and requiring a reasonable expectation of survival and/or a worthwhile sacrifice.  One of the big questions though for us in the 21st century is the difficulty of being able to parse 19th century sensibilities.  One of the things that is hard to come to terms with is the fact that even after 4 years of disorganization and slaughter the British soldier of that day managed to hang together as an army.  And while they may not have been thrilled at their lot they managed to continue as if it were another day in the coalmines.

And that brings me to the other side of the coin - for many of the soldiers their life as labourers in the civilian world was only marginally less dangerous, the food was better and you got a warm set of clothes.

All that said - you are right about the nature of the fight.

And you are also right that the French and the Brits might have been able to refuse battle for another year - but that would just have let the Germans stabilize the East that much sooner.

As well the French were psychologically motivated to drive out the Germans as soon as possible and that sucked them into the Verdun trap.  Once they were in the Brits couldn't hang back and still remain an ally.  The French wouldn't have permitted it or understood it.

Especially, I believe, in light of their own choice of tactics.  I don't think it required much training to take the bayonet to the enemy in a dead run while wearing scarlet pants and a white hat.  They wouldn't have expected that it would train British soldiers to a comparable level. 

It took much longer to bring soldiers up to the pre-war level of competence in fire and movement described in British Army manuals of the era.

That time was not allowed to Haig by the Alliance.

EXSPY,maybe they could have waited until the A-bomb had been
developed,sorry, just being facetious,but waiting for a better time,
situation,would have been a political decision and as we are discusing
Haig`s responsibilities is irrelevant.Further it was not Haig´s war of attrition
but a war of attrition dictated by circumstances beyond his control.
                                            Regards

exspy said:
No soldier will willingly fight if he knows that the only way to victory is to agree to sacrifice himself in order to wear down an enemy who, at the end of the day, simply cannot endure the casualties that his army can.  A victory that may be years away and will see the sacrifice of thousands of his friends and neighbours as well.  Soldiers do not volunteer to die, but they will volunteer to risk.
I disagree.  Just look at the Kamikaze in WW2, the "Banzai" attacks, Russian Human wave attacks, U Boot crews, suicide bombers in Afghanistan...the list, sadly, goes on...

KH (good to speak with you too),

Yes it is hard to parse 19th century sensibilities viewing them from today, but that is why I said I think Haig did the best he could.  He was a man of his century and may have already been, by 1914, yesterday's man.  Unfortunately no, I cannot think of any other General at the beginning of the war who, when the tempo of the war was being set, would have chosen to conduct it differently.

You are also right about the nature of the British soldier, who lasted in the fight well after his French and Russian counterparts lost heart.  Maybe British soldiers had the optimism to always believe that the next slaughter would be the one that would end the war in an allied victory.  I also agree that it takes longer to train a soldier in fire and movement than it does to train him in going forward blindly towards the mouth of the guns, but I don't recall hearing much about British fire and movement at the Somme.

Finally I also think Haig was lucky to have had the German Army undertake the 1918 Spring Offensive.  Without it there would have been no Hundred Days which resulted in an early end to the war.  Before the German attack allied strategists were predicting a war that would extend until 1919 or 1920 before the Americans were ready to undertake their own offensive.  How would Haig have fared after 1918 if he had not helped produce an allied victory that year?  Three and half years of attrition with nothing to show but a stalemate.

Sorry Kirkhill, but I can't resolve myself to not thinking of those PBI losing their lives due to a lack of innovative strategic thinking.

TE,

Two things.  First, at the level of Haig's command all decisions are inherently political as well as military.  I also disagree that a war of attrition was dictated to Haig.  Yes he was presented this option, but I believe that he chose to meet its challenge rather overcome it.

Second, I tried to think of a successful situation where a strategic decision was made to hold back combat until the tactical circumstances were propitious.  On a small scale I thought of El Alamein, where Montgomery refused to attack until he had an overwhelming superiority in men and materiel.  On a larger scale was the opening of the second front by the allies in the Second World War.  The Russians were clamouring for a second front in 1942 and 1943, but the western allies refused to rush into it and waited until they were ready in 1944.  Yes, it meant that Western Europe was to remain under German occupation and Russia was to fight alone longer than they would have liked, but it made an allied victory that much more certain when active operations actually began.  I think the same would have applied to the Western Front in 1916 or 1917 if the allies had tried it or, more precisely, if the French would have allowed the British to wait a year.

While all of this speculation is a great exercise in historical thinking, in my opinion I believe that Haig, while doing the best he could, got the reputation he earned from the war.

Thanks gentlemen,
Dan.

EXSPY,your are still talking about a decision that was not made by Haig,the
Somme battle was fought on ground that was not chosen by him at a time
also not his choice, he was merely following orders given to him through
his chain of command in an effort to relieve pressure on the French at Verdun.
I am still waiting to hear from anyone an alternative to the frontal attack and
attrition strategy that Hag was forced to persue given the situation that he
faced.Waiting out the Germans was politically not an option that was open to him.
                                        Regards

How timely that I should come across this debate while I am in the middle of writting an article pertaining to this topic (hopefully published sometime next year).

I think its fair to say that in many respects Haig has been judged unfairly, not because those judgements happen to be incorrect mind you, but rather because those judgements stem from chronic ignorance of the facts, and the all important context of the time.

With that said, my own argument is that Haig was indeed incompetent.  One may argue that the Somme had to be fought, however the question arises, did the Somme have to be fought the way it was fought?  The tactic of sending in wave after wave of soldiers dressed off evenly with each other was surely a recipe for disaster when faced with an enemy bearing machine guns, an elastic defence in depth and interlocking fire, not to mention artillery.  Simply put, Haig was out of touch.

I used General Sir Julian Byng as an example of my argument.  General Byng as many of you may know was the commander of the Canadian Corps during the assault on Vimy Ridge.  Vimy Ridge represented the first allied decisive victory.  Though Vimy cannot be seen as a war winning battle when looked at in isolation, when viewed within the greater context Vimy Ridge is a recipe for victory in the Great War.

So the next question.  How did the Canadian Corps manage such a decisive victory over the most heavily fortified area of the entire German front when both the British and the French had both failed at taking the ridge previously and at great cost I might add?

The answer to this question is what my article is about,  without copy pasting it into this post or re writting the entire thing I will try to be brief on a few points.

Leadership:  

Upon learning that the Canadian Corps would be tasked with taking Vimy Ridge, Julian Byng was determined not to allow the slaughterfest of the Somme be repeated.  Byng ordered a systematic analysis of all tactics and doctrine used by the Canadians and British at the time.  He tasked Arthur Currie and Andrew McNaughton with visiting the French to learn from their experiences at Verdun.  Currie and McNaughton did just that.  From the French experience Currie surmised that formations needed to be reorganized, meaning that instead of having a Battalion centric battle, this war now had to become a platoon commanders war.  Up until that point, machine guns, grenades and rifle grenades were controlled at higher levels which proved inefficient given the lack of communications technology.  Currie argued that by attaching machine guns, grenades and rifle grenades to the platoons, the platoon commander could make decisions in the heat of battle and address situations as they arised.  Currie also stressed the need for decentralized command and control, thus giving platoon commanders the freedom and latitude to act as the situation deemed necessary.

What this meant was that no longer would the Canadian Corps advance in waves of troops dressed off as if though on parade.  The assault on Vimy Ridge marked one of the first good examples of the platoon and section in battle using terrain to its advantage.  If the platoon next to you got held up you could keep on going, or flank attack the obstacle in the way of the held up platoon, a tactic not previously used before Vimy Ridge.  

General Byng had the good sence to accept Curries recomendations.

Byng reorganized the Canadian Corps based on this concept and retrained the entire Corps to fight this way.  Part of Haig's justification to use mass waves of troops in the attack was that British and Commonwealth soldiers were poorly trained and were not capable of implementing more complext strategies.  While this was true, Byng took the time to retrain his troops in the months prior to Vimy Ridge, Haig did not.

During their new training while not on duty in the front trenches Canadian soldiers were taught how to lead and think for themselves regardless of rank.  Detailed rehearsals of the pending attack on Vimy Ridge took place daily and each soldier was responsible for learning the plan, the commanders intent, and what his superiors job was so that he could take his place in the event of casualties.  Over 40,000 maps were handed out to NCOs and NCMs (extremely unprecedented) at the time.

Meanwhile Andrew McNaughton revolutionized the way artillery was to be used.  The concept of conter battery fire was invented and adopted, and later perfected by McNaughton.  This counter battery silenced german guns that were trying to decimate Canadians while on the advance in no mans land.  It worked extremely well.  This was in addition to the creeping barrage.

The creeping barrage in itself was a revolutionary method of employing artillery and infantry.  Prior to this, the popular thought process was that artillery conquered and infantry occupied.  Meaning that you would barrage the enemy into submission and the infantry would simply walk in and mop up.  Things obviously did not work this way.

The creeping barrage represented the earliest form of combined arms offesnive operations.  The artillery and infantry had to work together creating fire and movement at the operational level.  Meaning the infantry advanced while the artillery fired, this was NEVER done prior to Vimy.  The artillery fired, THEN the infantry advanced.  The Canadians at Vimy used both simultaneously.  At the tactical level, the platoons as mentioned above were able to create fire and movement at the local level by using machine guns to cover advancing troops (the details can go on and on from there).

The assault on Vimy Ridge was the first ever combined arms operation.  The results speak for themselves.  Incidentally the Germans used those very same tactics in their spring offensive against the British and pushed them back 140 KM (I think its 140, im not so certain but I do know it was quite far).

The Canadians used combined arms at Passchendaele which is what brought that battle to a close.  They also used combined arms during the 100 days offensive which brought the war to an end and gave us the reputation as Shock Troops or Storm Troopers.

The reason I bring this up is to contrast the inovation mandated by Byng and later Currie, with the complete lackthereof from other generals like Haig.  By the time Passchendaele happened, the new tactics developed by the Canadians were well known and yet they were not used at Passchendaele until the the Canadians were brought in.

Why?

Some argued that Haig has not choice but to conduct full frontal assaults because there was no flank.  While this is true, there is more then one way to conduct a frontal assault.  Moreover Haig and his French counterparts were determined to acheive a brilliant breakthrough to try and end the war early.  The context of the Great War simply did not allow for this.  The Canadian Corps by contrast perfected limited aims objectives.  Though still costly in lives compared to a successful breakthrough, proved to be much more successful then what Haig had attempted too many times.

The purpose of my post was to demonstrate that there was indeed Generals serving in the Great War that could innovate and the results speak for themselves.  Haig unfortunately was not one of them.  While I would not go so far as to label him a butcher, such a connotation infers an intentional act.  He certainly was incompetant and not up for the job he was given.

time expired said:
EXSPY,your are still talking about a decision that was not made by Haig,the
Somme battle was fought on ground that was not chosen by him at a time
also not his choice, he was merely following orders given to him through
his chain of command in an effort to relieve pressure on the French at Verdun.
I am still waiting to hear from anyone an alternative to the frontal attack and
attrition strategy that Hag was forced to persue given the situation that he
faced.Waiting out the Germans was politically not an option that was open to him.
                                        Regards

Read my long winded post, that should answer your challenge as to what alternatives Haig had to a frontal.  Its not about wheather or not he should have used a frontal or could have used something different, rather, how should that frontal be conducted.

Supression fire, the use of terrain, combined arms ect... all allow you to conduct a frontal without suffering the same level of horrendus casualties.  Casualties for sure, just not to the same degree.

ltmaverick25 said:
Supression fire, the use of terrain, combined arms ect... all allow you to conduct a frontal without suffering the same level of horrendus casualties.  Casualties for sure, just not to the same degree.

Extensive suppressive fire was found to destroy the terrain and limit advances, especially by restricting the advances of heavy artillery needed to support further movement.

Use of terrain is a relative term in the face of continuous linear defences.

Combined arms?  Employment of cavalry was limited because of points 1 & 2, and tanks did not exist in sufficient strength to have more than a localized tactical effect until late in the war.

Perhaps you could provide more detail for your "big hand-small map" estimate with respect to the actual conditions on the front in 1916.

Michael O`Leary said:
Extensive suppressive fire was found to destroy the terrain and limit advances, especially by restricting the advances of heavy artillery needed to support further movement.

Use of terrain is a relative term in the face of continuous linear defences.

Combined arms?  Employment of cavalry was limited because of points 1 & 2, and tanks did not exist in sufficient strength to have more than a localized tactical effect until late in the war.

Perhaps you could provide more detail for your "big hand-small map" estimate with respect to the actual conditions on the front in 1916.

I did not make any reference to cavalry or tanks in my combined arms annotations precicely because they did not play any fundamental role in the Great War.

When talking about combined arms within the context of the Great War we are talking exclusively about the cooperation between artillery and infantry when examining the operational level.  We view artillery and infantry coordination as a given today, but it was not the case at the onset of the war.  From 1914 to late 1916 as I mentioned previously, the artillery would pound away, and then the infantry would advance.

The creeping barrage changed all of this and is the first true example of combined arms at the operational level.  Though not without its drawbacks and weaknesses, certainly much better then what was being employed prior to that.

At the tactical level, combined arms within this context means the attaching of lewis machine guns, grenades and rifle grenades down to the platoon.  Again today we take that as a given, but such was not the case prior to late 1916.  These assets were controlled by higher formations which proved to be just as innefective as it would today.

Insofar as your comments about artillery ruining the landscape by creating craters, upending earth, causing mud due to rainy European weather, granted, living in a busted up, even water, rat invested mud pit and traversing across it was no vacation for the soldiers, but imagine the alternative.

With no craters in no mans land, there would be little means of gaining all to important cover from machine gun fire while flanking sub units dealt with the pillbox.  Having plains full of even grass makes for better living conditions but terrible for advancing troops as it becomes very difficult to use terrain for cover.

Certainly that type of landscape proved to be extremely problematic for the transport of artillery, shells and other equipment required for consolidation to the newly captured ground.  However, that is where the employment of the combat engineers came into play.  Underground tunnels were dug beforehand to allow troops to advance under cover, it also allowed speedy movement of suplies forward and safe evacuation of wounded (once they got back to the tunnels anyway).  Moreover the engineers inovated as well, they became more efficient at building planked roads traversing the mud to bring those supplies forward.  Was it perfect?  Nope, but it got the job done.

Having the engineers integrated into the combat plan in the era of Vimy Ridge was unprecedented.  Again today we would never dream of leaving home without them as the saying goes, but such was not the case back then.  Fusing the engineers into batallions is yet another example of combined arms in its infancy.

It is also important to note that the Germans by early 1916 were no longer employing a continuous linear defence.  In fact the withdrawel to the Hindenburg line brought the entire German defences on the western front into a defence in depth with interlocking fire and all the same goodies we train to and use today.  A proper defence in depth made a breakthrough almost impossible given the fact that tanks and AFVs did not come to fruition until the Second World War.  It also meant that suppression fire, combined arms, and the ability to consolidate gains became paramount to success.  None of this could occur without effective use of terrain at the local level.

While you are limiting your context of "combined arms" to infantry and artillery, you have again omitted explaining how you would have successfully moved the artillery forward to keep up with the infantry advance for some theoretically better form of assault than army level frontals (assuming unit level infantry tactics being employed to the best advantage within the scope of published doctrine at the time).  Difficulties of advancing medium and heavy artillery over barrage damaged terrain was one of the principal limiting factors on selection of achievable objectives for assault.

Michael O`Leary said:
While you are limiting your context of "combined arms" to infantry and artillery, you have again omitted explaining how you would have successfully moved the artillery forward to keep up with the infantry advance for some theoretically better form of assault than army level frontals (assuming unit level infantry tactics being employed to the best advantage within the scope of published doctrine at the time).  Difficulties of advancing medium and heavy artillery over barrage damaged terrain was one of the principal limiting factors on selection of achievable objectives for assault.

I do not disagree with the fact that broken up terrain as a result of artillery fire made moving the guns forward problematic.  What I am trying to say is that rather then pursuing a breakthrough which REQUIRES the artillery to be brought forward quickly and over great distances, the Canadian Corps adopted a doctrine of limited aims objectives.  Vimy Ridge being a perfect case study.  What that means is that there was no attempt at a breakthrough.  They were "set-piece" battles.  Take and hold terrain, simple.  That was the best one could hope for due to a number of factors.  The moving forward of heavy guns long distances quickly as you so ably put is but one factor limiting breakthroughs.  Cavalry being useless on the western front was another factor.  There was no way to exploit a breakthrough.  Cavalry got bogged down or mowed down and tanks couldnt do it yet.  Also, I am not suggesting that frontals were the wrong choice.  They were indeed the only choice.  What I am suggesting is that there was better ways to do it then the Haig doctrine.

Ultimately heavy guns did not have to be moved forward by great distances because the objective was to take and hold ground, not punch through.  Its also important to understand that in many cases on the western front the opposing trench lines were no more then 50 yards apart.  In the case of Vimy Ridge were looking at a total advance of 4000 yards on average.  Trying to have your infantry advance too far would have been playing into the Germans hands.  The German doctrine allowed for the giving of ground which is consistant with a defence in depth.  Your forces conduct delay actions and pull back to the next line, and so on until you have advanced outside the supporting range of your own artillery.  In which case the Germans would counter attack on terrain the very extremely familiar with, under cover of their own artillery fire and logistical support against a battered oponent strugging to consolidate.  Thats precicely why the frontal strategy of limited aims objectives proved vastly superior to breakthrough attempts.  Again, limited aims objectives could not have succeeded without combined arms operations at the operational and tactical level.

My criticism of Haig is twofold.

a) he pursued the mythical breakthrough in a context that did not allow for one
b) he also pushed for a policy of attrition.  Nobody needs me to explain why that was a terrible idea.

Something else I want to mention.  The notion of conveniently excluding cavalry and tanks from combined arms operations in this context is not my personal invention.  Strategists like Steven Biddle, author of Military Power are proponents of this.  If you have not read this book I strongly recommend it for several reasons.

Likewise Canadian historians like Tim Cook are also phrazing the effective cooperation of artillery and infantry to be combined arms in its infancy, an argument that I happen to support.  Obviously today, when we talk about combined arms were talking about infantry, artillery, armored, engineers, and air power all working in concert together.  But what must be understood is that in the Great War, combined arms was limited to infantry/artillery and engineers cooperation and that combined arms was a bran new inovation, so much so that the term did not even begin to be applied to what they were doing until much later.

Shock Troops by Tim Cook and Vimy Ridge: A Canadian Reassessment are excellent points of reference for this within a Canadian Corps context.

ltmaverick25 said:
The creeping barrage in itself was a revolutionary method of employing artillery and infantry.  Prior to this, the popular thought process was that artillery conquered and infantry occupied.  Meaning that you would barrage the enemy into submission and the infantry would simply walk in and mop up.  Things obviously did not work this way.

The creeping barrage represented the earliest form of combined arms offesnive operations.  The artillery and infantry had to work together creating fire and movement at the operational level.  Meaning the infantry advanced while the artillery fired, this was NEVER done prior to Vimy.  The artillery fired, THEN the infantry advanced.  The Canadians at Vimy used both simultaneously.  At the tactical level, the platoons as mentioned above were able to create fire and movement at the local level by using machine guns to cover advancing troops (the details can go on and on from there).

The assault on Vimy Ridge was the first ever combined arms operation.  The results speak for themselves.  Incidentally the Germans used those very same tactics in their spring offensive against the British and pushed them back 140 KM (I think its 140, im not so certain but I do know it was quite far).

I would be careful about saying that infantry had never advanced while the artillery was firing before Vimy. The Japanese had done that in 1904/05, and I have read about the French using a rolling barrage during Verdun counter-attacks. German "Storm Troop" tactics evolved over time and had been doing so before Vimy. The Germans are reported to have used rolling barrages and "combined arms" tactics in 1915. The German general Bruchmuller employed rolling barrages in 1916 in the east and had worked very hard to ensure the cooperation of the artillery and the infantry. Lupfer's Dynamics of Doctrine is a good little read that gives an overview of doctrinal development during WW1. There is a link in this thread that I tried to get going last year. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/70754.0.html

Tango2Bravo said:
I would be careful about saying that infantry had never advanced while the artillery was firing before Vimy. The Japanese had done that in 1904/05, and I have read about the French using a rolling barrage during Verdun counter-attacks. German "Storm Troop" tactics evolved over time and had been doing so before Vimy. The Germans are reported to have used rolling barrages and "combined arms" tactics in 1915. The German general Bruchmuller employed rolling barrages in 1916 in the east and had worked very hard to ensure the cooperation of the artillery and the infantry. Lupfer's Dynamics of Doctrine is a good little read that gives an overview of doctrinal development during WW1. There is a link in this thread that I tried to get going last year. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/70754.0.html

I actually have no background with the Japanese in that era, well in any era come to think of it so I will have to take your word for it.

With regards to the Great War, there is no question that alot of the ideas that got implemented at Vimy Ridge were learned from the French experience at Verdun.  I think I mentioned that in a previous post (its getting late and too much typing for me tonight!).  Currie and McNaughton were sent to learn from French experiences at Verdun.  The French were toying around with different tactics, but did not fully develop them, and certainly not on the offensive, unless we include counter attack as offensive, I would characterize that as a component of the defensive though.  The Canadian Corps was the first to fully develop and implement those tactics into a training program, and I think the resuls for Vimy speak for themselves in that respect.  Other armies were dabbling with it, but until Vimy nobody had truly made it work. 

As far as the Germans go, they also stole many ideas from the French when they captured French officers in early 1915.  Some siezed documents and interogations yielded alot of the same information to the Germans and they too were working on these tactics.  Though the Germans would not fully bring to bear any of this on the offensive until the spring offensive, at least not on the western front, they were dabblers prior to that.  I honestly have no background on anything eastern front related so I couldnt comment on that.  As an aside interestingly enough, the defence in depth was also an idea the Germans stole from the French.  What never ceases to amaze me is that alot of these innovations did indeed start with the French Army, but they were never really able to fully develop and implement them to any degree of success.  They do deserve credit for coming up with alot of the concepts though.

Regardless though, my point is that, be it Canadian or French invented, or even German invented, these tactics were around and well known prior to Passhendaele, and yet even despite this Haig continued to pursue an attrition campaign.  Why? 

I can't recall the source for this but I remember quoting Haig in an essay once, saying "the machine gun has no stopping power against the horse" so it was obviously made before these battles where charges weren't part of anyone's tactics anymore. It might have been Paul Fussell, the Great War and Modern Memory, but I'm not sure.

I just found a US cavalry tactics manual from 1907 (https://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/lectures/weapons2.pdf) that talks in detail about techniques and weapons as if the use of cavalry was still current practice, so the suggestion that they learned anything from the Boer war, I think, is mistaken. I recall that this quote is also sometimes used to contrast Haig's ideas with the innovation of the Canadian commanders at Vimy.

dfuller52 said:
I can't recall the source for this but I remember quoting Haig in an essay once, saying "the machine gun has no stopping power against the horse" so it was obviously made before these battles where charges weren't part of anyone's tactics anymore. It might have been Paul Fussell, the Great War and Modern Memory, but I'm not sure.

I think many people also forget about the evolution of machine gun tactics and establishments during the war.  The battlefield density of machine guns and the effectiveness of machine gun employment changed dramatically during the first years of the Great war.

I also agree that it takes longer to train a soldier in fire and movement than it does to train him in going forward blindly towards the mouth of the guns, but I don't recall hearing much about British fire and movement at the Somme.

Pre-war infantry training manuals described how a company attacking would be divided into a firing-line and supports.  The firing-line, reinforced from the supports as the occasion demanded, was to establish fire superiority over the enemy, in a process that generations of British soldiers have come to know as 'winning the firefight'.  Artillery would make its contribution, the object being 'to demoralize the defenders and reduce their volume of fire'.  However, the firefight was a means and not an end, for:

"The object of fire in the attack, whether of artillery, machine guns, or infantry is to bring such a superiority of fire to bear on the enemy as to make the advance to close quarters possible .......as the enemy's fire is gradually subdued, further progress will be made by bounds from place to place, the movement gathering renewed force at each pause until the enemy can be assaulted with the bayonet."
Richard Holmes: Tommy quoting from Infantry Training 1914 with the emphasis in the original training manual.

This was the way the Brits expected to fight in 1914, and did fight in the early going.    Keep in mind that that was intended to be used by troops that could generate 1500 rounds down range per minute from half a company (equivalent to something like 10 C6s firing at 150 RPM) accompanied by 2 to 6 18 pounders firing over open sights against an enemy operating in open country in dispersed packets.

What was supposed to happen if the enemy's fire WAS NOT gradually subdued because he was fighting from a linear defence, with mutual support, lots of ammunition on hand and ready reinforcements available to take up the place of the dead, the dying and the demoralized?

Between August 1914 and June 1916 the BEF had expanded from four infantry divisions to fifty-eight, to say nothing of all those units and formations that did not exist in 1914
 Corrigan: Mud, Blood and Poppycock. p.257
Those "units and formations" included Corps, Armies and "Army Group" as well as all the support units as well as specialists like miners, aerial recce, heavy machine gun brigades....... And the 58 number doesn't include garrison forces in Britain and Overseas, nor does it include divisions diverted to other fronts like Gallipoli, Mesopotamia, Italy, .......

The staff had not expanded commensurately.  In 1914 there were twenty-two general staff officers at GHQ of the BEF (4 Divisions).  Now there were thirty (58 Divisions).  The Engineer-in-Chief's staff at GHQ had admittedly increased ninefold, but as there was only one staff officer in 1914, nine in 1916 was hardly excessive. In 1914 the headquarters of the various administrative services had forty-five staff officers, whereas now they had 129; and a corps headquarters had grown from nineteen staff officers to twenty-four.  Staff officers at division and brigade headquarters had not increased at all
 Corrigan; p. 257

Of the eleven British divisions of ..... Rawlinson's Fourth Army......three..... were composed of regular battalions, five.......were New Army formations and three....were a mix of regular, Territorial Force and New Army battalions.  The Territorial Force battalions had little experience, the New Army ones virtually none and even the regulars had been brought up to strength by recruits recently out of training, and with officers and NCOs two or three ranks higher than they had been in 1914.  It was a very inexperienced and undertrained army
 Corrigan:p. 259

If all the peripherals are cut out, it was and is possible to train a man to a standard where he can take his place in a rifle section in a few weeks.  In the Great War he needed to be able to march, to shoot and to perform tactical manoeuvres directed by his officers and NCOs.  To produce those officers and NCOs takes far longer.  They cannot be made;  they must be grown, and growing takes time.  With only two or three officers and perhaps half a dozen NCOs with any experience in a battalion of 1,000 men, only the simplest of tactics could be employed - the battalions were just too inexperienced for anything more complex.
Corrigan: p.259.

Machine Guns:

The example of the Welsh Guards shows how the Lewis gun spread throughout the infantry.  The battalion received a single gun in November 1915, another in December, six more in March 1916, another eight that August, eight more in January 1918 and a further eight in April.
Holmes:p.393

So on the opening day of the Somme one of the premier battalions in the British Army had a total of 8 light machine guns which had been introduced 6 months previously but only supplied in sufficient numbers for tactical training 2-3 months prior to jump-off.  Not a lot of time to develop innovative tactics.  During the battle (August 1916) the complement was doubled to 16 and tactics were adjusted accordingly.  It is notable that, IMHO, the LMG is the key to the modern section/platoon.  This element which drove modern platoon tactics was only being introduced at the time of the Somme.

Artillery:

.... In addition to their field artillery, XX Corps would have thirty-two batteries of heavy artillery, I Colonial Corp sixty-five heavy batteries and, and XXXV Corps thirty-two (all French formations).  In contrast the British XIII Corps had eighteen batteries.
Corrigan: p.259

The Brits, with their small army, did not have the same need for artillery that the French and the Germans did.  It took them a long time to tool up to be able to make the necessary guns and shells.

The battle should not have been fought.  

Why was it fought?

Dated 16 June 1916 (Haig's order to Commander Fourth Army), it laid down the aim of the offensive: "Third and Fourth Armies will undertake offensive operations on the front Maricourt to Gommecourt in conjunction with the French Sixth Army astride the Somme, with the object of relieving the pressure on the French at Verdun and inflicting losses on the enemy..."
Corrigan: p.257, italics Corrigan's.

In 1916 the French fed 77 Divisions through Verdun.  Thirty Eight of them were then sent to fight on the Somme.  In total the French supplied 44 Divisions on the Somme to the Brits 53.

The Somme lasted from 1 July to 18 November: a total of 20 weeks.  The Brits committed 53 divisions and lost a total of 95,000 dead.  A loss rate for Haig of 89 per division per week.
Normandy lasted from 6 June to 25 August: a total of 11 weeks.  The Brits committed 19 divisions and lost a total of 22,000 dead.  A loss rate for Monty of 100 per division per week - and that with all the benefits of "modern" combined arms doctrine in a much more fluid environment.

In the year that the Brits lost 109,000 dead, the French lost 270,000 dead: 160,000 at Verdun.

Data from Corrigan: pp.298-300

Before the end of the year (Ludendorff) and Hindenburg would be demanding the use of child labour in Germany to release men for the front
Corrigan p.300

And then, after fighting through the objective comes re-org. Corrigan again.

The British learned much from the Somme, and this was reflected in new methods and structures implemented during the winter.  The infantry platoon - the basic building block of that arm of the service on which the bulk of the fighting fell - underwent a radical change.  Instead of a headquarters and four sections, each section with the same weapons mix and with the same tasks, the platoon was now reorganised on a functional basis.  The new infantry platoon still had a headquarters consisting of a subaltern officer, a sergeant and two private soldiers, and each section had an NCO commander and a minimum of eight men, but each section would now have its own specific role: bombers, Lewis gun, riflemen and rifle bombers.
 Corrigan: pp.300-301

To take nothing away from the accomplishment of the Canadian Corps at Vimy, under the command of Lord Byng, the change in tactics that permitted the success there had its origin in the BATTLES (plural) of the Somme and the growth and evolution of the capabilities of BEF generally.  The tactics in which Currie trained his division at Vimy were tactics that were being promulgated throughout the BEF between Nov 1916 and Apr 1917.

Tactics had evolved. New kit had appeared to support those tactics. More kit generally was available.  And, most importantly, a cadre of officers and NCOS had grown to their trade in a bloody environment and were better prepared for their next battles.

The miracles of the BEF (and the Canadian Corps) were manifold.  Raising the numbers and equipping them in 18 months.  Having them hang together while they learned their trade on the job one summer (Edit: a summer which 74% of frontline BEF troops survived "without a scratch" Corrigan p.299).  Completely reorganizing their TTPs to incorporate new kit over 6 months of winter.  Effectively applying the reorg as a winning force in 1917 (The hundred days of 1918 may be more spectacular but it should be remembered that throughout 1917 the German's lost ground, as well as men, on the Western Front from April to November - conveniently bookended by the Canadians: Vimy and  Passchendaele).  That forced the Germans into their peace with the Russians enabling to release enough forces for one last throw of the dice in the west in 1918.  

It should also be remembered that 1917 was also the year of Cambrai - the Combined Arms tank/infantry/artillery/air assault that successfully breached the line but failed in large part because - the guns could not be brought over the broken ground fast enough to support the advance - and - because communications were not sufficientlyl well developed to allow for the guns to be accurately spotted in support or for cavalry units to be directed to exploitable breaches in a timely manner.

Butcher Haig did as well as any man (or woman) could have done with the tools he had available.

Postscript - again from Corrigan

Prior to 1914 the largest number of troops that the Brits had sent overseas was 450,000 to tackle the Boers.  22,000 died - 2/3s from disease.
21,000 died during the Crimean escapade
60,000 died over the 23 years of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars period (2-3,000 fatalities per year).

By contrast, between 1793 and 1815 continental armies lost over 3 Million dead:
Austerlitz 4000 French/7,000 Russian
Wagram 8300 French/6000 Austrian
Borodino 7000 French/10,000 Russian.
All one day battles.

In the Crimea the combined Russian/French/Turkish death toll was 765,000 (against the 21,000 Brits).

Up until WW1 we Brits had waged war on the cheap.  Money from the trade supported by the navy financed other peoples' armies who fought in support of our interests.

In WW1, we ended up paying our full share of the Butcher's Bill.  

And that was a shock to the psyche.

But the shock to our psyche was still not as great as it was to the French and the Germans who, according to Corrigan's thesis, should have been inured to the losses by long familiarity.

-Message Ends- :)

I feel that each side should have come to terms in 1916. Once maneuver warfare was abandoned for attrition warfare given the technological advances the advantage had moved to the defender.

tomahawk6 said:
I feel that each side should have come to terms in 1916. Once maneuver warfare was abandoned for attrition warfare given the technological advances the advantage had moved to the defender.

But surely that would just have perpetuated the state of grievance and belligerence (extant since 843 AD  at least) and delayed another confrontation between two refreshed belligerents - as happened in 1939?

Kirkhill said:
But surely that would just have perpetuated the state of grievance and belligerence (extant since 843 AD  at least) and delayed another confrontation between two refreshed belligerents - as happened in 1939?

Its entirely possible that the terms for a cessation of hostilities would have been alot more agreeable to the German public than what happened in 1918. Hundreds of thousands of lives would have been saved. Perhaps Hitler would never have come to power. Alot of what if's. The only thing certain to me is that had the allies and axis powers come to terms in 1916 it would have saved lives and money.

KIRKHILL,we have read the same books and reached the same conclusions
but we are arguing against generations of "popular history"that has portrayed
Field Marshall Haig as an unfeeling butcher who sacrificed thousand's of allied
soldiers without any sign of remorse or pity.Haig was an inarticulate man with
very little charisma who seemed unable or unwilling to explain himself to others
he was also a minor aristocrat this alone was enough to condemn him to the
vast majority of the British public,to DAFTANDBARMY the fact that he preferred
wellbred horses is enough to proclaim him guilty as charged.No mere facts are
going to change these perceptions but that should not deter us in our" begging
to differ".
The "rolling barrage"was used on the Somme but because the previous wire
cutting barrage had so cut up the ground the troops could not keep up and
it became a foot race between the Germans coming forward from their reserve
positions and Tommy crossing no-mans land,the Germans in most cases won.
It has been commented upon in this thread before but the fact remains that the
British army had expanded from 5 div. to over 50 in the space of 18 months
this led to inexperience troops led by equally inexperienced officers and more
importantly,IMHO, NCOs,the arty had also to go through this rapid expansion.
To commit this army to a major offence against a well dug in experienced army
must have been a daunting prospect to any General and Haigs answer seemed
to be KISS(keep it simple stupid) apart from telling Lloyd George and the French
to f§&ck off I do not see any options open to Haig.
Vimy Ridge seems to me to be an anachronism in WW1 battles,firstly if one has
seen the ground,there seems to be very little room on the ridge for the defence
in depth that the Germans seemed to favour, as the back side of the ridge is
almost vertical bringing up reserves would have been very difficult and the
lack of observation for the German arty down on the plain would have made it
very difficult to bring effective fire on an attacking enemy.Please do not think
that I am in anyway trying to diminish the splendid effort of Gen.Bing or the
Canadian Corps,just that because of the terrain it seems somewhat different
to other battles on the Western Front.
                                           Regards

Back