• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why don't we point?

Snipers shoot 'pointers':

During the stalking phase of his attack a sniper will, if time allows, try to identify high-value targets such as senior officers or senior NCOs. He will do this by closely observing the behavior of the people in front of him. His intention is to identify who is in charge and then prepare to fire at them. It naturally follows that leaders should attempt to blend into the background by avoiding anything that distinguishes them from the most junior soldiers and attracts the interest of a sniper. In order to reduce a sniper's ability to damage the chain of command, doctrine and equipment need to prevent any observable "leadership" behaviors and signs. Insignia, e.g. rank insignia, should be subdued (dark/black as opposed to bright colors), camouflage colors on camouflage, battle-dress identical for all ranks, military servants and rank-based luxuries (like saluting) avoided in forward areas, and commands and instruction should be given discreetly.

Additionally, other acts such as looking at maps, using a radio, pointing authoritatively, abstaining from menial tasks and other forms of body language can betray an officer's rank. However, it is important to emphasize that if a sniper cannot identify an officer or NCO, he may then select any person that he has a good chance of hitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-sniper_tactics

Swingline1984 said:
"My point" (no, not the one on top of my head) was simply that some may have started teaching the full hand indication vice finger point as it was taught for the last 10 years on pre-deployment training.
Ah, gotcha. 

If you're at CFLRS just point your iPhone at the thud, that should be fine now.

recceguy said:
At least until she starts the conveyor it it starts going away. ;)

Atta girl.  ;D

So, in order to keep from bein a sniper target, you're supposed to point UNauthoritatively?

Prob easier for them to simply take out the guys that are obivously making an effort to NOT point with a finger.  ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the weirdo 5 finger point.  I think it looks ridiculous and since there isn't an official reason to do it, I won't.

recceguy said:
My wife does some cashier work. Her right hand is on the cash register. She scans the products with her left. There are some customers that absolutely lose their minds when she hands them their change with her left hand. They will drop the change and refuse to pick it up.

At least until she starts the conveyor and it starts going away. ;)

edit - grammar

That's hilarious. I would love to see that happen, a customer drop the change then see it roll away.

recceguy said:
.....There are some customers that absolutely lose their minds when she hands them their change with her left hand.....

I'd just wink and say, "don't worry, I wipe my ass with my right hand, too".
>:D

Robert0288 said:
I know in as a hockey ref we're told the same thing.  I checked the standards guide and the answer isn't a very good one.  Its along the lines of; 'When calling a penalty, the referee should use an open hand to indicate the player, not a single finger'.  Amongst the justifications I've heard is that it appears 'too aggressive' and may antangonize the player.  Although that player usually just finished smacking somone upside the head with a stick, so I would say he's pretty antagonized prior to being kicked out.

In regard to sports, the use of the whole hand by a hockey ref is the same as for soccer refs and other sports (i.e. volleyball, tennis, football, etc) - the reason being that it is much easier for spectators and others persons at a distance to see a full open hand than to see a single pointed finger...

recceguy said:
My wife does some cashier work. Her right hand is on the cash register. She scans the products with her left. There are some customers that absolutely lose their minds when she hands them their change with her left hand. They will drop the change and refuse to pick it up.
At least until she starts the conveyor and it starts going away. ;)

On foreign deployments, pointing is a no-no due to potential cultural faux pas, as some have already pointed out.

But back in Canada, I was given to understand that the current emphasis on use of the whole hand rather than a pointed finger is due to a sexcual harassment case in... I think the early 90's?  A senior NCO pointed with a single forefinger at a female soldier's chest area, refering to an improperly buttoned tunic, which the female soldier interpretted as pointing at her breasts, hence the harassment charge. 

Been a while so cant recall exactly when but wasnt this also part of the 'I'm going to touch you now' training for NCO's for use in correcting the behaviour, action or dress of soldiers?

Back