• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

why I HATE future shop!!!!!!

I've had similiar problems with people from Staples, I've also had friends who have bought big ticket items from them (ie: computers) and have had nothing but problems with their level of support. 
I use staples only for pens and paper.  Well thats not true, I use a place called Brants for stuff like that as the closest Staples is about 45 minute walk from my apartment in Peterborough. 

I wish I had a plasma tv lol

what kind of audio connection are you using from satalite/DVD to TV?  RCA?  Optical?  Coax?

Also, have you tried going into the TV menu settings?  Also, recheck your connections on the rear of the TV.

You may have put the audio cable in the wrong location....so, for example, your SAT runs off of COMPONENT1, you may have accidently hooked sound up to COMPONENT2.

The TV RF (Coax) gives both Video and Audio....but is very poorest of the Video choices.  RCA cables from both outputs on the Sat work to the Home Theatre/DVD but neither of the inputs on the TV work.

I understand your point about the RF, but my question to you is when you ARENT using the RF, you're using an RCA cable from Sat to TV  for audio?

As I said, the Audio 1 and 2 Inputs on the TV do not work.

I've tried every combination I can think of.  No luck.  Went to Options on both the TV and Sat Receiver and still a "No Go".

Will have to go to their 1-800 number and get a Tech to drop in and check the TV connections and programing.

Future Shop, Best Buy, The Source are all a rip when it comes to computer parts. I went there wanting to buy a new hard drive, and they were charging 150-200$ for the type I needed. I went over to one of those factory direct places and got a 160 gig brand new hard drive for less then 70$.

I don't think I'd shop there for any consumer electronics or appliances either, there are just way better deals out at smaller stores, I find.

Personally, im more of a sucker for http://www.2001audiovideo.com/

(they tend to suck more money out of me than FutureShop and Best Buy combined)

Funny Future Shop story....

There I was, last week, on the 24th of course, doing my Xmas shopping. I was looking for a portable DVD player.

Along comes a salesman....wish I had a camera...5'10", 250lbs, black eye, shirt partially untucked showing off belly button....spoke with the diction of someone who just didn't quite finish grade 10, and with the mannerisms of a used car salesman.

Salesman asked if he could help...I told him that I had decided on one particular DVD player. He then asks if he can ring up the sale. I agreed. He then asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I declined.

The salesman then motioned me over to the side, looked around, lowered his voice, and stated (I'm paraphrasing, but it's pretty close):

"We're not 'sposed to tell customers this, but I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Ya see, these warranties that the manufacturers give, ya see, if it's only for one year, well like, they design them to break at one year and one day. Uh huh, they do it on purpose. Ya see, that way, they get more people to buy their stuff."

"Now I could get in trouble for this, but, ya see, we lose money on our warranties, cause the stuff almost always breaks the day after the warranty is over. But, ya know, I always feel bad when people lose their money an' stuff, so I try an get 'em to buy the warranty, so the Future Shop will give them a free one. I know the Future Shop loses money, but this way I can sleep at night........So, dya want me to add the extra warranty?"

I didn't know whether to laugh or get angry, so I just said "No thanks", and bought the player anyway.

True Story.

Moral of the story - All you need for a job in Calgary these days is to have a pulse....

kcdist said:
"We're not 'sposed to tell customers this, but I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Ya see, these warranties that the manufacturers give, ya see, if it's only for one year, well like, they design them to break at one year and one day. Uh huh, they do it on purpose. Ya see, that way, they get more people to buy their stuff."

"Now I could get in trouble for this, but, ya see, we lose money on our warranties, cause the stuff almost always breaks the day after the warranty is over. But, ya know, I always feel bad when people lose their money an' stuff, so I try an get 'em to buy the warranty, so the Future Shop will give them a free one. I know the Future Shop loses money, but this way I can sleep at night........So, dya want me to add the extra warranty?"

I didn't know whether to laugh or get angry, so I just said "No thanks", and bought the player anyway.

True Story.

Moral of the story - All you need for a job in Calgary these days is to have a pulse....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFL!! I wonder if that guy actually believes that Future shop et al. actually lose money on extended warranties.  Numerous consumer reports bits during news reports over the holidays pointed out that those warranties are basically money grabs, and they make a ton of cash off them because guilable consumer will get them on items that actually last a fairly long time and never use the waranties once.  One news outlet put out (Toronto Sun I think, but I sure you can find the info in Consumer Reports and on the net) a list of common household and electronics goods, and the average lifespan of said goods compared to warranties.  Most of the items would last long past the extended warranties, of course individual use varies. 

I try and avoid Future Shop and Best Buy, as no matter how unfriendly I act towards them, they always come up and pester me.  And the majority of the time I find they really don't know much about the products they are selling, and give me a blank stare when I start asking real techinical questions.

short final said:
Future Shop isn't commissioned either, at least, that's what the guy who sold me this system said....

Permanent employees of Future Shop work on commission, but seasonal help are just paid a hourly rate.

Squawk 7500.

Sorry to Hijack... but cannot find a Trans Flash Card at any of the "fine" establishments mentioned in this thread. Does anyone have a any suggestions where I can pick one up. Prefer a walk-in place.

Thanks

s_1111953033_sandisk-tf-128.jpg

Try Compusmart, they may not have it on display, but they could probably order it for you.

Try the "fine establishments'" websites - they have alot more on there than on display at their stores.  You can also check local in store stock for easy pickups.

Buddy did try to sell me on the 5 yr bla bla bla plan - I just said "It was a good sales pitch, but I'm not interested".......

Found Trans Flash. Pacific Mall. I figured someone there should have it.
I got it at canadacomputers.com store at the mall. 256Mb @ $39.99 with SD adaptor. They didn't try to sell me PSP.  ;D

I am ashamed to say I've bought a replacement/warranty/product protection plan on one item.

I bought a Playstation Portable in October (best techie thing I've bought all year I should add) and I payed an extra 30 for a two year product replacement plan.
Basically it covers all the defects etc. that a normal warranty covers beyond the manufacturers warranty PLUS if they upgrade the Playstation Portable (like they did the original playstation and ps2) to a better design they will give me the new design for free.
I'd also heard a number of things about pixels on the PSP screen dying out and of course it's small and electronic so I figured it might go wonky.

My problem with the product protection plans is this. I'm buying a new piece of merchandise, if it breaks because of manufacturer's defect, it should be fixed or replaced free. Why should I have to purchase insurance? To date, not one of these store "Associates" has been able to answer the question. I've also had opportunity to take back a TV and a CD burner. They've tried the scam about no insurance and I had the Manager paged to the Complaint/ Returns counter where, in front of a long line of customers, got him to acquiesce and exchange my products. Even got an upgrade on the burner. They don't like to be put on the spot in front of customers and they don't like the line being held up and increased. Play to those to facts and you'll usually win. Just keep cool, don't threaten and have your game plan before you go in, and don't take No for an answer.

It's also worth looking at your credit cards for extra protection - my Mastercard offers an extra year of protection when I use it to make purchases.  So if I get extra protection for free, why bother shelling out extra money?

I need to bring this thread back to life for a bit.

I purchased a laptop from Best Buy on the weekend. I had read in this thread about how people shouldn't purchase the store purchase protection plans. The salesman said that he doesn't recommend it for all, but he does for laptops. I wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out the extra $299-350 for the plan, so I said no at the time. You have 30 days from purchase of the product, to purchase these protection plans.

I am curious if any of you had bought them, or just have some input on these plans. You would think that after spending $1500 on a laptop, that they would provide service / guarantee it's quality, without me having to purchase the extra coverage plan.

Any input would be great..

Card_11 said:
I purchased a laptop from Best Buy on the weekend. I had read in this thread about how people shouldn't purchase the store purchase protection plans. The salesman said that he doesn't recommend it for all, but he does for laptops.

I wonder if he would have said the same thing if buying a tv, or entertainment system.  "I don't recommend the extra protection for anything except the TV your going to buy."  ;D

Just wondering.....

Back