• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Shoe's make normal gait impossible

adaminc

Inactive
Reaction score
This is a good article on shoe's and how they effect running and walking, very good read.

Here is a suprising piece of the article, its under the Shoe Weight heading.

A lightweight pair of 16-ounce shoes amounts to a cumulative four tons of foot-lift load daily (16 ounces times 6,000 foot-lift steps).

This makes me think about trying out those barefoot shoe's that a few companies sell.

Here is a link to the article
http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfrossi2.htm

I think a more important aspect of the impact of shoes is the affect of wear patterns on gait.  Once a shoe/boot starts to wear, it angles the foot into that pattern, reinforcing the incorrect foot angle.  I recall some senior guys with boots that had a difference of up to half an inch in height between the inside edge and outside edge of their soles, so that they almost walked bow-legged. 

Man youn should have seen the shoes we were issued and forced to wear in the late 1970s. They were called CF "Cripplers" for a reason. Fortunately common sense overroad the requirement for uniformity and we were allowed to wear our own purchased running shoes for PT.

Heh... you must be talking aobut those green runners.
Cheapest shoe you could find on the market was better than the ones the CF provided.

Not sure, don't think they issue anything anymore.  One of the few pieces of kit you,re expected to provide for yourself.

geo said:
Cheapest shoe you could find on the market was better than the ones the CF provided.

Not sure, don't think they issue anything anymore.  One of the few pieces of kit you,re expected to provide for yourself.

Shoes are still in issue at St. Jean.  Heavy, but other than that, nothing particularly wrong.  Troops show up without good footwear wear those on PT.

As this seems to be such a popular topic for some reason, I just had to correct the spelling of "normal"..........there was just something too abnormal about all this to leave it unchanged.

As for shoes.  They have nothing to do with a normal gait, if the person wearing them is 'deformed' and requires orthodics.  It isn't the fault of the shoes.

I've seen the importance of proper shoes mentioned several times in regards to PT, but I've not seen a lot of talk about what shoes people have had good experiences with.  Any recommendations?

Edit:  Of course, after posting this I found a bunch of good information in one of the running threads, so nevermind me.

Different feet require different shoes...

the cf shouldn't even waste time with issuing those "cheapy sneaks".  Maybe just give a credit towards getting a pair that will actually give you a chance of getting your feet through without screwing them up.  If feet are screwed up yes, it's not wearing cheap footwear to blame, but it can be recognized that the importance of footwear and foot health is very important in the line of work some of do on a daily basis.  I would stress the point even further during training periods.

JaguarLeo said:
the cf shouldn't even waste time with issuing those "cheapy sneaks".   Maybe just give a credit towards getting a pair that will actually give you a chance of getting your feet through without screwing them up. 

Troops are given plenty of notice of footwear requirements for basic & still arrive for basic with substandard PT shoes.  The new "cheapy sneaks" are clunky, ugly, and uncomfortable, but are still better shoes than several idiots show up with. 

I have heard many positive comments about Nike Free's although I personally have never tried them.  They are supposed to be comparable to running in barefeet (which means there is an adjustment period when you start wearing them) and beneficial to returning your running back to its natural form.  Has anyone tried them?

Those nike free are supposed to be really good but you have to take your time changing over to them.  Don't go running long distance in them till you work all the kinks out.  The people i know that use them swear by it.  One of my buddies told me it keeps the muscles in your feet strong so you don't compensate by walking different.

I highly support barefoot running (which nike free's are made for). Some of the worlds best long distance runners follow the barefoot school of thought. There is even a tribe somewhere in central america or south america (can't remember which at this moment in time) that only runs barefoot through the mountains and valleys of their homeland, and they can run farther then most marathon runners.

I'm in need of new shoes, but I use orthotics due to leg problems i often get like shin splints..

would "frees" work for me, or doubtful?

geo said:

I think he may have been talking about the white high top PF Flyer knockoff's that were issued before the green monsters.  :-X

Shamrock said:
Troops are given plenty of notice of footwear requirements for basic & still arrive for basic with substandard PT shoes.  The new "cheapy sneaks" are clunky, ugly, and uncomfortable, but are still better shoes than several idiots show up with. 

Well some of us "idoits" show up for basic with substandard foot wear due to not living the best privilaged lifes.Mommy and daddy had to either pay to feed us or buy us fancy foot wear.
I showed up with a pair of 705 walmart specials,at least 2 years old and yellow.They were white.

The shoes that we were issued were grey with two velcro straps.Black soles that were so thin you could feel pebbles when running outside.

Then when we got our first paychecks that was one for the first things we all bought.

Sorry if that sounded rude.It isnt meant to be.Just maybe think about the less than priviged showing up at 18 fresh out of school.

I know own at least 8 pairs of runners. ;D

Having battled foot/leg problems for some time now, and not always succeeding as much as I would want to, I was sucked in by an infomercial for these:

http://www.barefootscience.com/cdn/index.html

I might give them a try, and they basically advertise the same stuff the original article talked about.

Back