• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHY?

ChopperHead

Inactive
Reaction score
Ive been reading a bunch of threads in here and they all say that it takes around 9 months from the time you walk into the recruiting office till your off to basic I was just wondering why it takes so long Because isnt the army currently in a bit of a man power shortage so shouldnt they be just trying fill positions as fast as possible and since they have a shortage then shouldnt there be enough people to get the application through because I wouldnt think they are very back logged or anything?

Kyle.

Hi Kyle,

Use of punctuation is a wonderful thing.  It really helps in getting your message across.

To answer  your questions though, even when there is a recruiting drive on, there is still the recruiting process to get through.  I think most people will agree it is a long one, but sadly, it's the one in place at this time.

You are walking into a recruiting office that doesnt have the authority to hire you. From there, after extensive testing, which all the office can do, your files are sent to Borden to be checked again. Then your files are introduced to your potential supervisor, I believe. Its better this way, theres no stress. The work is done for you.

Let the process run; however long it takes, its a process. ;)

beach_bum said:
Hi Kyle,

Use of punctuation is a wonderful thing.   It really helps in getting your message across.

Use of punctuation is mandatory! No more run-on paragraphs!

Also next time do a search to see if the issue has been previously discussed.

This one has!

Slim
STAFF

Sorry about my bad grammer I'll put periods in next time lol. I check some of the other threads but they don't really answer what I want to know either. I just don't see how they can justify takeing a year to get one person to training like come on there has to be a better way. You get your license in under a month, I know that has nothing to do with this but still they have to go through paper work and set it all up and the ministry of transportation has got to have thousands of applications for license on any given day. Im just saying that It doesnt make sense to take a whole year or more in some cases just to get through paper work.

kyle.

The recruiting process involves the initial contact interview (when you walk into the recruiter's office), the initial screening (to see if you meet the basic eligibility criteria), an explanation of the process, an explanation of the trade choices potentially available to you and then the filling out of the forms.

Once it is determined that you meet the basic application requirements, then you as scheduled for aptitude testing, medical examination and physical fitness testing.  Once this is done, your package is sent to CFRETS at CFB Borden where it is reviewed and further processed.  At this stage, a background security check is conducted and the parts 2 and 3 medicals are completed.  The two latter stages that I mentioned are very lengthy events and most applicant files will sit in waiting from three to 18 months depending on the backlog or any issues that may arise from the information provided.

There is currently a very serious bottle neck at Borden which is slowing down the recruiting process to a snails pace.  Despite the need for live bodies, the CF's recruiting process has not as yet been realigned with the growing need.  As a result, the entire application process has become very painful for those who want to enter the service.

Another issue is the fact the CF does not tie the number of contracts to job performance for recruiters.  So in effect, it doesn't matter how many new applicants get sworn in, the recruiter's career progression will not be affected.  There are no real incentives for recruiters to beat the pavement and find new prospects to enter the forces.

A word of adivce:  once you have been processed and your file is in Borden, check on the status of your application with your recruiter on a regular basis (like weekly or bi-weekly).  Remember that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

PJ D-Dog

thanks PJ thats kinda what I was looking for still thats alota time on paper work I think this process needs some major overhauling if they expect to meet the goals they set to add something like 5000 more troops. Cause that is just not gonna happen the way things are now.

Kyle.

ChopperHead said:
thanks PJ thats kinda what I was looking for still thats alota time on paper work I think this process needs some major overhauling if they expect to meet the goals they set to add something like 5000 more troops. Cause that is just not gonna happen the way things are now.

Kyle.

Personally, it took a full 7 months to get my application done, but that was due to bad medical afetr bad medical and delayed tests and so on and so forth... so no worries... 9 months sounds a little too much for me

-Hugo

Here is a little different angle on this one.....

The CF & Cdn Govt spend a great deal of money on each member. When considering this, take into consideration training cost (not just initial but throughout one's career), medical/dental, pension implications, equipment costs, travel, etc, etc.......oh, I forgot, they pay us as well....

IMHO, due dilligence and care should be part of the enrollment process, and this is reasonable. This will make the system slower, but protecting the Crown's interests require it.

Does this excuse the current delays? No. But remember, this isn't applying for a job at McDonalds........

My 2 cents on this one........

I agree that the Crown does spend a lot of money on each member and that care should be taken in selecting service members.  Having said that, here in the US, a lot more money is spent on training the military and our entitlements are much better than in the CF and for some reason, the entire processing time can take as little as four days.  There needs to be a happy medium and the CF has just not reached it.

The entire attitude of protecting the Crown's investment sickens me.  This is the difference between Canada and the US, where in Canada, everything is geared to protecting the Crown's interest and ruling the subjects who are allowed rights and freedoms.  In the US, our rights are inherent and cannot be suspended or taken away just because the Crown's interests may not be served.  The question is who is serving who's interest?....food for thought.

PJ D-Dog

PJ D-Dog said:
At this stage, a background security check is conducted and the parts 2 and 3 medicals are completed.   The two latter stages that I mentioned are very lengthy events and most applicant files will sit in waiting from three to 18 months depending on the backlog or any issues that may arise from the information provided.

Hasn't this lengthy delay been circumvented by the new medical policy that took effect June 1?

I've also been led to believe that delays are minimal if you have lived in the country for the past 10 consecutive years, and have no immediate family living in certain countries.

So, while the process can be long, it can also be fairly quick. I applied at the end of June and am aiming for an October BMQ.

The entire attitude of protecting the Crown's investment sickens me.  This is the difference between Canada and the US, where in Canada, everything is geared to protecting the Crown's interest and ruling the subjects who are allowed rights and freedoms.  In the US, our rights are inherent and cannot be suspended or taken away just because the Crown's interests may not be served.  The question is who is serving who's interest?....food for thought.

PJ D-DOG, I said protecting the Crown's interests, not investment......there is a difference.

In protecting the Crown's interests, we are not talking about "suspending or taking away" the rights of an individual.
              Doing one does not mean you are doing the other.

"Who is serving who's interest"? I am serving the Crown. Full stop.

As to the differences between Canada and the United States, there are many. If the pragmatic/responsible approach
              of protecting the Crown's interests "sickens" you, sorry. But this illustrates one of those many differences I mentioned.
              We won't get into any of the differences that may bother me.

In my experience, one the ball gets rolling, it doesn't stop....

Okay, it took a while to get any initial contact from my local CFRC, but everything that could be done there happened in a short span of time and could have happened even quicker, should my schedule have allowed it.  There's a lot of paperwork and transit time involved in recruiting.  At least, that's how it appeared to me.

Yes, there are some problems with recruiting.  Yes it can take awhile.  Overall, I had a positive experience and only a few minor quibbles about my CFRC.

But hiring in any organization always has its problems unique to that organization.

Well my process took close to six months. I originally applied to as a Reserve MP, then switched to Reg Force Infantry during the process, and was finally put into Signal Operations due to the new vision requirments. It is a long process, but it's worth it. I have few problems with the CFRC, despite the fact that they took away my job offer for the PPCLI due to a last minute change in vision requirments. I found that they tried to help me out in any way possible, and even after not making the standard for infantry allowed me to pick a different trade so I still had a chance to serve in the Military.

Ya see thats what I mean like what PJ was saying in the US it takes like what a week to get in and they have alot more recruits coming in, And they are investing alot of money as well so It should not take up to a year to simply start training you cannot defend the system it just makes no sense.

Kyle.

If you want to get into the military so bad and so quickly join the US Army.
quit whining and move on or be patient and wait for your turn go join the CF.

The US army is also considering or already has raised the maximum age for recruits because they are facing a shortage.  Although, I think that has more to do with people not wanting to join as opposed to the process taking too long.

It takes so long because most people don't have the patience to wait 9 months to get in. I've done my waiting and I can't wait to go. The months of waiting I have done have solidified my decision to join and I am still as passionate to go as I was the day I walked into the CFRC.

Having patience is true. Myself I've been waiting patiently for almost 1 year now to  have my application sent to the MPAC board to become an MP.  So if everything goes smoothly from here I could start my BMQ in October. I must admit though that the process takes way too long though. But if you really want it, it will be worth all the wait

scottyeH.

Listen man Im not whining about it. Im more then willing to wait the year if I have to hopefully it won't take that long but you never know. All Im trying to do is understand why it takes as long as it does thats all.

Kyle.

Back