• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will I have to jump?

ArmouredAnger

Inactive
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I haven't seen this question on here. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Is it mandatory to jump out of planes as an infantry soldier?

I've never liked heights and I've always gotten a little vertigo from being really high up. I don't go on roller coasters ever, and avoid any jobs that require you to be up high - like industrial window cleaning or roofing. There is a lot about my life that Im in the midst of changing to become a stronger person. Is my fear of jumping going to have to be one of them?

I'd like to be qualified in Armoured Soldier and also Infantry someday.

This is not a suitable question to ask a Recruiter, so I've moved it.

I am also confused. You have a picture of a tank for an avatar, plus "Armoured" in your user name, and the Artillery motto, but you are asking about Infantry.

In any case, you'd most likely have to compete for a para course, and it's extremely unlikely that any time, effort, or money would be spent/wasted on somebody not so motivated.

Plan on getting some Helicopter rides, though, with the doors pinned back in the summer (pick the transmission seats for the absolutely most bestest view), at various altitudes from fifteen feet to a couple of thousand feet, and some rappelling (from a tower first, and maybe a few cliffs if you're lucky, before doing it from a Helicopter), and helicasting (jumping into water).

Thanks for the reply.

To add more to the confusion, I also have the Royal Canadian Dragoons motto as my signature.

I have the artillery motto in my profile because I am applying for a reserve artillery unit and I'd
like to represent them. I have "Armour" in my name, and that juicy leopard tank there because
I would some day like to have qualifications as an Armoured soldier as well as infantry/artillery.
I also plan on transferring from the reserve force to the regular force as quickly as possible.
I joined the reserves because I live in a small town and I assume that if I applied there, I would have
less competition than if I applied for the regular force. Maybe that was stupid? I guess I'll find out.

I probably sound like I don't know what I'm talking about at all, and my ignorance to this whole process
may even be insulting to some.. I hope not, but if so I don't take that personally. With all due respect to everyone
on these forums - I have read some really dumb questions, and if I were to put myself in the shoes of a vet or
someone who has trained a very long time I would be insulted too. I have looked through these forums a little, and through Forces.ca
a little bit more, but I'm a people person and I'd like to hear it from people who have been through the experience.
It's one thing for me to read something and try to perceive it, when I have never even done it, but it's another thing to hear it from you guys
who most of which have actually done it.

Hopefully that's all valid, but if not, go ahead and fire away. That's why I'm here - to learn.  :)

ArmouredAnger said:
I have the artillery motto in my profile because I am applying for a reserve artillery unit and I'd
like to represent them. I have "Armour" in my name, and that juicy leopard tank there because
I would some day like to have qualifications as an Armoured soldier as well as infantry/artillery.
I also plan on transferring from the reserve force to the regular force as quickly as possible.

short and sweet brother....if you join the infantry, you would work along side tanks and the armoured guys, but you wont be trained IN operating Leopards or anything related to the armoured MOC.  Same goes for Artillery.  You pick one, and you train as that MOC.  Artillery fires the guns, armoured drives the tanks and Coyotes, and infantry drives the black cadillacs, Lav's and digs holes, amongst other things, but you wont be cross trained to do any other combat arms MOC

ArmouredAnger said:
I joined the reserves because I live in a small town and I assume that if I applied there, I would have
less competition than if I applied for the regular force. Maybe that was stupid? I guess I'll find out.

If you plan on "quickly" transferring from the reserve force to the reg-f DO NOT apply to the reserves. Read this thread, "Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A" http://army.ca/forums/threads/12797.0.html . Once you are in the reserves it is a pain to transfer to the reg-f especially if you try to do an occupational transfer at the same time. I urge you immediately to change your application to the reg-f. You won't get qualified until likely next summer and even then you are going to get inconsistent work (some weekends) and random days, but until you get qualified (ideally cpl) with your 404's (driver's license) your options for additional employment within the reserves is limited. I'm not trying to come off as some one bitter, because I have loved my time in the reserves and it is quite frankly the best job I have ever had. I've shot machine guns, thrown grenades, flown in a twin otter, shot a howitzer and the list goes on and on. The reserves also gave me some needed discipline, rebuilt my self confidence, time management, leadership skills, money for school and it honestly mixes up the daily grind. With that being said, do not apply to the reserves if you are trying to get into the reg-f real quick. The reserves is great for students, seasonal workers and people with full time jobs (assuming they can get the time off).

ArmouredAnger said:
To add more to the confusion, I also have the Royal Canadian Dragoons motto as my signature.

Just an FYI.......the RCD motto is Audax et Celer (Bold and Swift)

I have never heard your signature before.

ExRCDcpl said:
I have never heard your signature before.

I've see it here,
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,3.0.html

ArmouredAnger said:

To add to the advice from runormal, you may wish to read this, ( in case you have not already ),

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12797.0
44 pages.

ArmouredAnger said:
I've never liked heights and I've always gotten a little vertigo from being really high up.

Advice regarding Fear of Heights, and overcoming it,

Fear of Heights 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/98564.0

Heights in Basic traning (Fear of Heights)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/39560.0
2 pages.

Do not , I repeat , DO NOT apply for Reserve if you are already planning on transferring to Reg forces .....

Been there , done that , I had to release in order to transfer if I wanted a timeline that was interesting ( I also DO NOT recommend you to release in order to join back , this is a gamble that might work 10% of the time , luckily I was in that 10% )

If you want to go reg forces , drop the reserve , apply for Reg forces , simple as that ...

And take the time to read , watch the videos on different trades .... Armoured do armoured stuff , Artillery do gun stuff and Infantry do infantry stuff .... make sure you understand that you need to select something that you might do for the next 15-20-25 years....

Back