• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will I keep my rank once I go from PRes to RegF?

Billard

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been a Combat Engineer in the PRes since February 2012 and I have completed BMQ Common and BMQ Land and I am scheduled to do my DP1 (mods 1 - 6) from May until August. Once I complete that I will become a Sapper and get my hook and then come next February 2014 I will have been in for 2 years and qualify for promotion to Corporal.

My question is; when I get promoted to Corporal in the PRes and decide to request a transfer to the Regular Force, will I keep the rank of Corporal or will I get demoted to Private. I remember having a lecture on this during Basic about not being able to lose pay but I forget the details on if keeping the same trade has any effect or not.

Thank you!

I am not a clerk, however I have made the transfer from reserve to regular and many of my friends have done the same.

From what I can remember them telling me, they will calculate the number of days you have spent with your unit (something like each parade night counts as 1/4 reg force day and each full day on class A is half a reg for day and any full day on class B or C is a full reg force day). Then based off of the result they will decide what rank to keep or get demoted too.

I am only a little unsure because I have been in for over 6 years and when I did my transfer I was a corporal with alot of class C time so I was well within the margin of keeping my rank and pay and there wasn't much question about it.

Each situation is different.  Your CT offer will stipulate the rank they are offering you based on the calculations Stretch notes above.

I wouldnt push too hard to keep it. Think of showing up after having done two years in the reserves and being a Cpl ahead of those in the regs who have been in for three years and are still Ptes. When I went from Res to Reg I did my QL3 again ( 10 weeks 1st time, 16 weeks the 2nd) and didnt complain one bit. Entering as a quick pick is best done as low under the radar as possible, or you may find yourself unpopular.

It's a case-by-case scenario. I've asked that question with respect to ACISS trade. They told me that depending on demand they will either keep or drop your rank, but your pay stays with the rank your currently in until such time as your new trade surpasses the old pay.

When I transferred from the PRes to the RegF they busted me down from a MCpl to and OS. For pay they did have a calculation they use.

Let's say you joined 01 Jan 1980 and transferred 01 Jan 1990 = 3652 days (couple of leap years in there). You had 520 days of Class be service. They take the total number of days and subtract the full time service, then divide that by 4 and then add the full time day back on.

3652-520=3132

3132/4=783

783+520=1303

1303/365= 3 years 210 days

You may also see things like Previous Full Time Paid Service (PFTS) and time credit towards promotion.

MuttR said:
When I transferred from the PRes to the RegF they busted me down from a MCpl to and OS. For pay they did have a calculation they use.

Let's say you joined 01 Jan 1980 and transferred 01 Jan 1990 = 3652 days (couple of leap years in there). You had 520 days of Class be service. They take the total number of days and subtract the full time service, then divide that by 4 and then add the full time day back on.

3652-520=3132

3132/4=783

783+520=1303

1303/365= 3 years 210 days
so that's 10 years service in the PRes will get you 3 years 210 days service in the RF

Ya well, the other option is you do the full time reserves. In comparison, you get to keep your rank, the pay is different and you pretty much get to choose the operations your on. Being reserves may take a 15% deduction of pay in comparison to RF but you keep your rank and your leadership role!

Back