• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wireless Internet

21trucker

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows of the policy WRT wireless internet  in DND establishments, and where i may find a copy. Have tried the CF Security Orders with no luck. I would think it would not be allowed due to the possible security breaches (someone sitting outside the building).

Any help is appreciated.

:cdn:

21Trucker check out this link:

http://www.cse.dnd.ca/en/documents/publications/gov_pubs/itsb/itsb02.pdf

DND will not entertain any form or wireless internet service WRT DWAN / DIN (our internal networks).  Thats all hard wired to controlled hubs & servers.

Some bases may accomodate / condone wireless service to regular consumer internet  (i.e Shaw, Telus, whatever) in areas such as Jr. Ranks messes, Canex's, Single and transient quarters.

We can have wireless nets in the quarters here in Winnipeg.....thats what i am using right now !

There will, however, be restrictions on using wireless services of any type within a specified distance of certain secure facilities, because of the effects of TEMPEST radiation, along with possible interference.  So don't expect to be able to connect to the net everywhere on a base.

If you check the CFNOC InTRAnet site out, you will be able to find the references you are looking for. Obviously you will not be able to get to that page from the WWW.

I can tell you that during my last posting in an IT position, no wireless connections could be used for any type of network on the base.

Obviously if you live in shacks, then you can use wireless within your room, unless it infringes upon the DND networks. In other words, if your wireless connection is within a certain distance of a DND connection, they may restrict you from using that device.

Back