• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Mike (Hammy) Hamilton

Parachute rigger WO Hammy Hamilton remembered

09-0207_m.jpg

WO Michael (Hammy) Hamilton passed away on February 22 following a car accident in Cold Lake, Alberta. Hammy was known for his athleticism, good humour and community involvement.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Trenton, Ontario – In 1985, when Warrant Officer Michael (Hammy) Hamilton joined the parachute rigger family, the world of CF parachute rigging changed. It changed again when he passed away at the age of 46 following a car accident in Cold Lake, Alberta on February 22.

At the time of his death, WO Hamilton worked in Trenton as a member of the Canadian Forces Land Advance Warfare Centre. He had been visiting Alberta for training at the time of the accident. 

09-0207_1.jpg

WO Michael Hammy Hamilton

“It took Hammy about 20 seconds to go from being the new guy in the unit to the old vet, taking the young guys under his wing. He just had that way about him that naturally made you like him,” said Chief Warrant Officer A.G. McGee, who first met WO Hamilton at the Canadian Forces Parachute Maintenance Depot in Edmonton over 20 years ago.

Joined the CF in 1981
WO Hamilton joined the Canadian Forces in 1981. From the beginning, he was the ultimate athlete. He was always involved in unit sports as well as base teams. If he wasn’t at work, he was at the nearest sports venue. Mike always encouraged his peers to participate no matter what their skill level; however he always wanted to come out on top.

09-0207_2.jpg

WO Hamilton was the ultimate athlete.

One of WO Hamilton’s true passions was the Montreal Canadiens. He would do anything to watch a game, no matter where he was or what he was doing. He once attended a unit function that took place at the same time that his beloved team played Calgary in the finals. He managed to bring in a four-inch TV to watch his team play. Before the event was over, the whole unit was in another room watching the game with Hammy. 

Never at a loss for words
WO Hamilton was always the one to get a party started. He loved to find the closest microphone available and appoint himself as the night’s MC. A man who was never at a loss for words, he always managed to get things rolling so that all had a good time.

If there was a camera, WO Hamilton was either in front of it hamming it up, or he was behind it, acting as the director and the producer. That he never won an Oscar still remains a mystery to his rigger family.

09-0207_3.jpg

WO Hamilton wears a cone head hat at a mess dinner.

His sense of humour kept his unit's morale high. He also used his abilities with cameras and videos to produce many presentations for retirements, postings and other events for personnel within the unit, always leaving them something to remember him by.

WO Hamilton’s sense of humour kept his unit’s morale high, and he could be counted on to bring you out of the dumps when you were feeling down. He was always telling jokes or pulling pranks: sending love letters to your boss using your email that you left open, or arranging for 3 a.m. wake-up calls at your hotel while you were travelling.

Touched many lives
On the serious side, WO Hamilton was actively involved in the community and the lives of all those he knew. He participated in many charity events, such as the Special Olympics and the Labatt 24-Hour Relay. WO Hamilton always provided many ideas for children’s Christmas parties and even dressed as Elmo on one occasion. He never forgot a birthday, anniversary, or any other special moment in the lives of those that he touched.

“I can honestly say, after having spent 35 years in the military, that I have never met a more likeable or personable soldier, and it has been a distinct privilege to have been able to call him friend,” said CWO McGee.

“Hammy's passing has dealt the Canadian Forces and in particular the Parachute Rigger Fraternity an immense blow. His jump boots will never be filled!”

For all those who knew Hammy across Canada, the US and around the world, to quote CWO McGee, “he will be gone but not forgotten.”

He leaves behind his wife, Shelley, his four children, Alicia, Cole, Rodney and Leon, and many, many friends.

Article by WO John Renaud and Bill Pentney 

Photos by Canadian Forces Land Advance Warfare Centre Images Section

Project Number:09-0207

Oh man what a shock, truly one heck of a great guy

The best memory I have of "Hammy" was after a Xmas party at supply (his wife worked with us), there was not enough seats in the drunk van.  He jumped in the cargo area and threw a blanket over him self and said "shh, don't tell no one I am back here"

You will be missed and my heart goes out to Shelley and the kids

Today Nov 11th I thought about Mike and just like to say a prayer for him.God love you Hammy I will never forget you,a great person and soldier.  With love to Mike and his family-John McManus. :remembrance:

Back