• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Wilson, Cpl. McLaren, Pte. Diplaros - 1 RCR - 05 Dec. 2008

Troops honour three soldiers killed in Afghanistan
Updated Sat. Dec. 6 2008 9:20 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The remains of the three Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan are headed home after an emotional farewell at the Kandahar Airfield on Saturday.

The bodies of Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren, Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson and Pte. Demetrios Diplaros were put on a military plane for the flight back to Canada during a ramp ceremony attended by more than 2,000 Canadian, U.S., Dutch and British soldiers.

The three soldiers were killed around 9 a.m. local time Friday after the armoured vehicle they were travelling in was struck by an improvised explosive device (IED).

The soldiers, who were from the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based out of Petawawa, Ont., were members of the Task Force Kandahar Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

The deaths bring Canada's troop death toll in Afghanistan to 100.

Brig.-Gen Denis Thompson said it is the work of each soldier, rather than the number of dead, that he hopes Canadians will focus on.

"I'm hoping that people focus on the individuals and not the numbers," Thompson told reporters Saturday. "Because at the end of the day, each of these men had family, had friends, they certainly had a lot of comrades over here."

Wilson, who was on his second tour in Afghanistan, was serving alongside his wife, a fellow soldier. She will return home with her husband's remains.

"He was a highly dedicated, professional and charismatic leader who excelled at all he did," Thompson said Friday. "He loved his work, and dearly loved his wife and children."

McLaren was wounded during a previous deployment to Afghanistan in 2006, but had been anxious to return, according to Thompson.

"A few weeks ago Mark (McLaren) risked his life crawling towards an Afghan soldier who had been shot in order to provide him first aid under fire," Thompson said.

McLaren's father, Alan McLaren, said his son was engaged, and was a man who died believing strongly in what he was doing.

"Here's my son doing exactly what he wants. He knows why he's doing it. He feels he's making a difference in this world. And that's what he went and did," McLaren told Peterborough, Ont. radio station CKRU on Friday.

"Boy, are we ever proud of him."

Diplaros, described by Thompson as "an exceptional driver and gunner," was on his first tour in Afghanistan.

His father, Jerry Diplaros, also served in the army and was proud that his son followed in his footsteps.

"He saw pictures of me when I was in the army, and he was looking forward to being like his dad," he told CTV Toronto on Friday.

Diplaros said that even though he knew the risks of being a soldier, it didn't make the news any easier.

"It was very hard for me even though I was prepared because I served in the army and I know what the army's all about," he said.

The three soldiers' deaths came about one hour after two Canadian soldiers were injured after an IED exploded near their foot patrol in the volatile Zhari district.

450_ramp_2_081206.jpg

Soldiers stand at attention as the remains as one of the latest three Canadian soldiers to be killed in Afghanistan passes during a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2008.

450_ramp_3_081206.jpg

The remains of one the latest three Canadian soldiers to be killed in Afghanistan is carried across the tarmac during a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2008.

please understand that my piece with all the ones, is an immediate response to this terrible loss and that there will be a more thoughtful response later.

I guess what I am trying to do with all those neatly printed ones, is simply express the enormity of each and every loss as well as the enormity of the collective loss.

also, I recognize, as in today's posting. on Grief, the huge tsunamis, rogue waves and ripples of these deaths on all whose lives the fallen have touched.

thanks as always for taking an interest in what I do... as I've said many times, I'm sure some will hate my stuff, some will love my stuff, some will be indifferent... but what is important to me above all, as an artist, is that I get it right.

sms said:
please understand that my piece with all the ones, is an immediate response to this terrible loss and that there will be a more thoughtful response later.

I guess what I am trying to do with all those neatly printed ones, is simply express the enormity of each and every loss as well as the enormity of the collective loss.

also, I recognize, as in today's posting. on Grief, the huge tsunamis, rogue waves and ripples of these deaths on all whose lives the fallen have touched.

thanks as always for taking an interest in what I do... as I've said many times, I'm sure some will hate my stuff, some will love my stuff, some will be indifferent... but what is important to me above all, as an artist, is that I get it right.

Thanks for coming out. And, actually - if it had to be done - I for one think your "columns of ones" does it in a respectful manner. Each "one" of them the same and uniform, each "one" an individual but yet still an entity, their loss being no greater nor less than any of their fellow fallen soldiers. Every "one" of them a volunteer who served this country well, giving up their lives so that others may live free. All of them the same, from the first "one" to the most recent "one" - other numbers just not mattering - all that matters is the "one". As it should be. And, I will remember every "one" of them ...

May they all Rest in Peace.

My condolences to the loved ones, families friends of the fallen and to their Regimental Family.  RIP brave souls.

:cdn:  :salute:

RIP soldiers.  Thoughts and prayers to family, friends and fellow soldiers of the fallen.

Brihard said:
To hear of more losses is always a blow. Losing someone you know is a shock.

McLaren,take care buddy. You'll be missed.

Not to try to take away from the other losses... It's just the first time it's been someone I know. Absolutely awesome guy.

Shitty day. Rest in peace brothers.

I've buried a few friends as well, Brihard.  First, second, third... it doesn't get any easier.  They're all shitty days.

For those who've seen the documentary, Mark Mclaren was a Crazy 8 for Medusa in '06.  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/59273.0.html

At the end of TF 3-06 he went back to his res unit,  CTed to the RCR, then deployed again for the next available tour.  He was a soldier to the bone and now he's kicking back in Valhalla, waiting for the rest of us.

R.J. Wilson was my section commander in Kabul and I consider him to be the most influential NCO of my first few years as an RCR.  Soft spoken and thoughtfull, he proved that when you treat your men like men they'll perform when you need them to.

RIP

Tentative repatriation 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 8, for three soldiers
Posted By Mandy Martin - Department of National Defense
Updated 9 hours ago

Three Canadian soldiers were killed as a result of an improvised explosive device attack on their armoured vehicle during a joint patrol with Afghan National Army soldiers in the Arghandab District. The incident occurred approximately 15 kilometers west of Kandahar City at about 9 a.m. Kandahar time Dec. 5.

The Canadian soldiers were participating in a vehicle patrol with their Afghan colleagues when their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device. The three soldiers were killed instantly by the explosion.

Killed in action were Corporal Mark Robert McLaren of Peterborough, Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson and Private Demetrios Diplaros, both of Toronto.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1332614

The tentative time of repatriation at CFB Trenton is 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 8.

In an unrelated incident, earlier on Dec. 5, two Canadian soldiers were seriously injured when an improvised explosive device detonated in the vicinity of a joint Canadian - Afghan foot patrol in Zharey District. The incident occurred at approximately 8 a.m., Kandahar time, approximately 30 kilometers west of Kandahar City.

A cordon was quickly established and the soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to the Multi-national Medical Facility at Kandahar Airfield where one soldier is reported to be in serious condition and the other is reported to be in fair condition. The names of the injured soldiers will not be released.

I created a Facebook group to help co-ordinate as many people as possible to come out over the Highway of Heroes during the repatriation. I think we will have a large amount of Durham medics out again this time.

"durham region tribute to Canada's 3 latest fallen soldiers. Monday"

Media Advisory
Our Fallen Soldiers Return Home

LFCA MA 08-015 - December 7, 2008

OTTAWA – Our fallen soldiers, Private Demetrios Diplaros, 25, Corporal Mark Robert McLaren, 23, and Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, 27, all infantrymen with the First Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment based in Petawawa, Ontario, will return home to Canada on Monday, December 8, 2008.

Where:  8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When:  Monday, December 8, 2008 at 2:00 p.m.
What:    At the wishes of the families, media will be permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be Her Excellency The Governor General of Canada, The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Chief of Defence Staff, General W.J. Natynczyk and other dignitaries.

The three soldiers were killed as a result of an improvised explosive device attack on their armoured vehicle during a joint patrol with Afghan National Army soldiers in the Arghandab District. The incident occurred approximately 15 kilometres west of Kandahar City at about 9:00 a.m. Kandahar time on December 5, 2008.

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:
Interested media may contact Lieutenant Annie Morin, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, who can be reached at (613) 392-2811, ext. 4565, (613) 243-7330 (mobile), or at: morin.mva@forces.gc.ca

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at (866) 377-0811, or on weekends 613-792-2973. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

Media Advisory
CORRECTION Our Fallen Soldiers Return Home
LFCA MA 08-015 - December 7, 2008

OTTAWA – Our fallen soldiers, Private Demetrios Diplaros, 25, Corporal Mark Robert McLaren, 23, and Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, 27, all infantrymen with the First Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment based in Petawawa, Ontario, will return home to Canada on Monday, December 8, 2008.

Where:  8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When:  Monday, December 8, 2008 at 2:00 p.m.
What:    At the wishes of the families, media will be NOT BE permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be Her Excellency The Governor General of Canada, The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Chief of Defence Staff, General W.J. Natynczyk and other dignitaries.

The three soldiers were killed as a result of an improvised explosive device attack on their armoured vehicle during a joint patrol with Afghan National Army soldiers in the Arghandab District. The incident occurred approximately 15 kilometres west of Kandahar City at about 9:00 a.m. Kandahar time on December 5, 2008.

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:
Interested media may contact Lieutenant Annie Morin, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, who can be reached at (613) 392-2811, ext. 4565, (613) 243-7330 (mobile), or at: morin.mva@forces.gc.ca

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at (866) 377-0811, or on weekends 613-792-2973. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

First time I think I have seen DND release this sort of pic to the media.

Bodies of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan return home
Last Updated: Monday, December 8, 2008 | 2:17 PM ET CBC News

repat-soldiersar2008-jo12-0.jpg

The bodies of Cpl. Mark McLaren, Pte. Demetrios Diplaros and Warrant Officer Robert Wilson will return to Canada on Monday. (DND)

Political dignitaries joined friends and family of three Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan as their bodies arrived in Canada on Monday.

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean, Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Walter Natynczyk were at CFB Trenton as the plane carrying the bodies of Cpl. Mark McLaren, Pte. Demetrios Diplaros and Warrant Officer Robert Wilson touched down.

The remains were then to be driven west along a stretch of Ontario's Highway 401 known as the "Highway of Heroes" to Toronto. Hundreds of people were expected to gather to watch the motorcade pass between 3 and 5 p.m. ET.

More than 2,000 Canadian, U.S., Dutch and British soldiers turned out for a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield on Saturday to pay tribute to their three comrades who were killed west of the city of Kandahar on Friday.

They died when their armoured vehicle struck a roadside bomb — pushing the number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan to 100 since the mission began in earnest in 2002.

They were all members of the First Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment based in Petawawa, Ont.

Wilson, 38, of Keswick, Ont., was on his second tour in Afghanistan. He leaves behind a wife and two small children.

McLaren, 23, of Peterborough, Ont., was also on his second tour in Afghanistan and was engaged to be married.

Diplaros, 24, of Toronto, on his first tour, joined the Canadian Forces three years ago, following in the footsteps of his father, who served in the Greek military.

Canada has about 2,500 soldiers in the province of Kandahar, the former Taliban stronghold.

That is a very powerful picture.  It took my breath away when I first saw it.
RIP.  Your journey is almost done.  Thank you.
Robin
SOT

NFLD Sapper said:
More than 2,000 Canadian, U.S., Dutch and British soldiers turned out for a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield on Saturday to pay tribute to their three comrades who were killed west of the city of Kandahar on Friday.

There were representatives from all contingents here, not just "U.S., Dutch and British", jut to set the record straight.

Loachman said:
There were representatives from all contingents here, not just "U.S., Dutch and British", jut to set the record straight.

Like how the MSM misrepresents that. Thanks for the correction.

Honoured in Ontario's Legislature on 8 Dec 08
DEMETRIOS DIPLAROS

Mr. Bas Balkissoon: I rise today to join with all members of this House and all Ontarians in expressing my deep condolences to the Diplaros family. Private Demetrios Diplaros, a proud Canadian soldier serving with the first battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, lost his life this past Friday in Afghanistan. He was only 24 years old and was serving our country as part of the Operational Mentor and Liaison Team embedded within the Afghan National Army.

I am told that Private Diplaros wanted to become a soldier from a very young age to be just like his father. He lived his dream and became that soldier. He was known for his smile. I hope his family-his father, Anargyros, his mother, Martha, and his brothers Nick and Peter-will remember that smile, and it will help them through their grief.

Today, Demetrios is coming home. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people will line the Highway of Heroes to pay their respect to Demetrios and his fellow officers, tragically killed. I know that bridge in Scarborough will be lined with Scarborough residents mourning the loss of a Canadian son, the son of one of our families. I want the Diplaros family to know that we will never forget their son's sacrifice and the sacrifice of his colleagues.

CANADIAN FORCES

Mr. Jeff Leal: Today, Peterborough's Corporal Mark McLaren, aged 23, Toronto's Private Demetrios Diplaros, aged 25, and Keswick's Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, aged 27, will return home, but it won't be for Christmas to visit their families and friends as they planned.

These three young soldiers' bodies will be driven along the Highway of Heroes today, after losing their lives in a roadside bombing attack in Afghanistan late last week. Representatives from my community will be making the trip down to the Highway of Heroes to join with thousands of mourners who will stand on the overpasses to pay their respects to these young soldiers, their families and their friends.

Corporal Mark McLaren was raised in the Peterborough area, and his family lives in Peterborough today. He was on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan, returning to active duty after being injured during the first tour. These three young men became the 98th, 99th and 100th Canadians to have made the supreme sacrifice while stationed in Afghanistan.

I'm always impressed by the commitment of these young men and women. They volunteer to serve as soldiers of the Canadian Forces knowing full well the dangers they will face, yet they take the roles without hesitation or personal regard. With so much attention being given to the current economic and political state of affairs, the death of these three young men is a sobering reminder of the challenges our soldiers face every day. Everyone needs to take some time to remember the members of our Canadian Armed Forces, their families and friends, and to say thank you.

Mr. Speaker, I would ask for unanimous consent so we could rise for a moment of silence for these three young soldiers who were killed last week.

The Speaker (Hon. Steve Peters): Agreed? Agreed.

I ask all members and our guests to please rise as we observe a moment of silence for the three individuals who were killed in Afghanistan.

The House observed a moment's silence.

Back