• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Women in U.S. infantry (USMC, Rangers, etc. - merged)

RoyalDrew said:
Journeyman is on target guys.  We had a similar situation when I did my Phase 3.  We had one female on the course who failed after week 3 due to lack of fitness.  She then proceeded to blame everything and everyone for her failure, rather then accepting the fact that she maybe needed to do a little bit more workup training beforehand.

That's great, and also irrelevant. That specific female went through the same training as the rest of you. She was brought through the same system, doing the same tasks, the same everything. She was no more or less prepared by the machine than you were.

In the case of the USMC, females are given less to work with before going on IOC by the machine, not due to their own negligence. It's that simple.

RoyalDrew said:
I like the USMC approach and think that they are going about integration of females into the combat arms the right way.  Lets face it, in the infantry, reputation is everything and if we start lowering requirements to make the pointy end gender neutral then we are already setting those females that do pass, up for failure as they will be discredited when they arrive at their units.

Did you even read the article? If you did, you would realize how irrelevant your point is since the author is advocating that women be held to the same standard as the men instead of a lower standard.

ballz said:
That's great, and also irrelevant. That specific female went through the same training as the rest of you. She was brought through the same system, doing the same tasks, the same everything. She was no more or less prepared by the machine than you were.

In the case of the USMC, females are given less to work with before going on IOC by the machine, not due to their own negligence. It's that simple.

Did you even read the article? If you did, you would realize how irrelevant your point is since the author is advocating that women be held to the same standard as the men instead of a lower standard.

USMC facilities do not provide roads to run on, bars to do pull ups on, and various sundry heavy thing to pick up and put down repetitively?  That doesn't sound right to me.

ballz said:

Well actually she was a reservist, so she didn't go through the same training as I did, but I digress.

I read the article and I think it's flawed... I knew our version of IOC was a hard course and I knew I had to train for it, hence why I am agreeing with Journeyman.  Standards are readily available to anyone going on any course, whether you want to prepare yourself to meet them is up to you. 

Example: Sending Canadians down to Ranger School for instance, last few fellows that have gone down to Ranger School from the 2CMBG have tanked the course, due IMO to a lack of preparation.  The only thing they had to work with was being told months in advance they were going on the course.  It was there responsibility to prepare for it and they didn't so they failed.  I don't see this case as being any different.

This lady knew she was going on the course and she knew it was hard, whether or not she did the same courses as the boys before she went on this course is completely irrelevant in my mind.   

Ever done a course with a foreign army Ballz?  You have no idea what to expect and you show up and give it your best shot, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to tell me I need to be fit when I attend a course, this to me sounds like the same thing.  You sound like one of those guys that thinks everything should be spoon fed to them, I guess I expected a little better.

RoyalDrew said:
Well actually she was a reservist, so she didn't go through the same training as I did, but I digress.

No? She didn't do BMOQ and CAP before doing Ph 3? That's shocking. She didn't do the BFT in the same amount of time as everybody else?

RoyalDrew said:
You sound like one of those guys that thinks everything should be spoon fed to them, I guess I expected a little better.

::) Please, I went through the same training system as you, give it a rest. The males are getting a gender-based advantage, this is an equality debate not a welfare debate.

So you wouldn't be bitching and moaning if they had a 6-week "pre-IOC" course for females only to help them physically prepare would you? You would think it's completely fair that the females got better preparation for the Infantry Officer Course courtesy of the machine, because it's up to the individual to show up prepared anyway, right? Yup, I can hear it now... "special treatment" and all that jazz...

ballz said:
No? She didn't do BMOQ and CAP before doing Ph 3? That's shocking. She didn't do the BFT in the same amount of time as everybody else?

You act as if BMOQ prepares you for Phase 3, that is laughable in itself.  She talks a lot about mental resilience in the article, you want mental resilience go join a rugby team or get in a fist fight downtown.  I never got any mental resilience from the army, that much is certain. 

::) Please, I went through the same training system as you, give it a rest. The males are getting a gender-based advantage, this is an equality debate not a welfare debate.

So you wouldn't be bitching and moaning if they had a 6-week "pre-IOC" course for females only to help them physically prepare would you? You would think it's completely fair that the females got better preparation for the IOC course courtesy of the machine, because it's up to the individual to show up prepared, right? Yup, I can hear it now... "special treatment" and all that jazz...

I actually don't give a shit what they do as long as the physical requirements are not lowered for the course.  Again, fitness and toughness is not something that a course is going to magically solve.  Not everything can be solved with "yet another course".... sounds to me like your well prepared for the CF bureaucracy though.  Maybe we can submit your name in to go work at CMP so you can read grievances all day  :)

RoyalDrew said:
You act as if BMOQ prepares you for Phase 3, that is laughable in itself.  She talks a lot about mental resilience in the article, you want mental resilience go join a rugby team or get in a fist fight downtown.  I never got any mental resilience from the army, that much is certain.

Do you have the attention span of a bullet in the head? Can you not keep track of your own argument? You just claimed that the female in your anecdote did not have the same training as you. You are wrong, get over it, stop taking this down a completely different path.

RoyalDrew said:
I actually don't give a crap what they do as long as the physical requirements are not lowered for the course.

Then why the fuck are you arguing when none of this has anything to do with lowering the physical requirements for the course? :facepalm:

dapaterson said:
The Army in the early 90s had the "Warrior badge" a similar thing that was widely mocked.

There are lots of ways to do such things - do you recognize this year's performance, or do you recognize the cumulative performance over say the last 5 years?  Do you recognize individuals, or do you come up with a scoring to recognize units & foster competition that way?  Do you give uniform bling, water bottles/gym bags, leave or something else?

There are many things that are possible; all it takes is some imagination.

I agree (was being a little tongue-in-cheek earlier). Providing incentive, as with anything in life, is never a bad thing, especially if it's meaningful. If you could find a way to financially incentivize it (which you probably can't), that would motivate some. Others, I'm sure, would prefer the recognition displayed on their uniform. A couple of extra days of annual or short leave sounds good to me. As you say, there are many ways to add a little more of a challenge to it than exists now. If only imagination was a principle of war  :)

So, what if the example were to be explained this way.

Imagine someone who, because they had no choice, was home schooled their whole life.  They learned everything through DL and it was either self-paced or taught by mom or dad.  They learned that, as long as the work was done, the time of day that the work was done or classes happened was really irrelevant.  So it wasn't unheard of to have a class at 2 in the afternoon one day and then have several days in between and then the next learning session was at 7 at night.  Things were done when they were done and there was no schedule.  Holidays happened on a whim because both mom and dad are self-employed and work from home.

Now, this student finished their high school equivalency and gets accepted to a large university (let's say for Engineering), where it's not unheard of to have several hundred students in a class and schedules are strict.  The day starts at 9 a.m. and sometimes doesn't end until 8 at night.

How do you think that student is going to fare?  They've been 'trained' to study and learn a certain way and met, in fact exceeded, the high school standard.  They knew things would be different, and expected it to be tough, but how does one prepare for such a change when they weren't given the tools to do so up to that point?

Now, replace home schooling with segregated basic training.

I took BCT in the early 70's and it was all male.I went on to Advanced Infantry Training at Ft Polk,once again it was all male.If it was up to me there wouldnt be females in the combat arms.But thats just me.Females in Air Defense Artillery and Field Artillery has been somewhat successful.In the US the argument is that non-combat arms women do not have the same avenue to promotion that men do.Its a red herring.We have had female generals for quite some time.So there is a path for success.

I'm going to go and take the unpopular perspective on this topic, although I suspect it may not be quite as unpopular as this thread suggests.

RoyalDrew said:
Do I believe women should be allowed to serve in the combat arms?  Yes I do believe so but only if they can first meet the standard and secondly they can absorb into the culture.  From my experience I have only known a few women to serve in the combat arms, more specifically the infantry, some belonged and some did not belong the problem being that because their are so few women their problems are magnified. 

From my personal experience as well, women have a far easier time succeeding as an officer in the combat arms then they do as an NCM.  This is no fault of their own it is just as a soldier it is difficult for a woman to jive with the platoon dynamic.  Lets not beat around the bush, what is often on soldiers minds and more specifically infantry soldiers (they are a special breed)?  Booze and Women!  So you throw a woman into the mix and it can become somewhat of a volatile situation.  This can be treated with discipline; however, I believe it takes a special woman to operate in that sort of environment.  A female officer on the other hand has an easier time of it because she can isolate herself more easily from the nonsense and she will be able to get more support from her peers.

The other big problem I have seen is fraternization, this goes both ways; however, it is a fairly slippery slope and it is pretty easy for a woman to lose all credibility in a male-dominated organization if she sleeps around with some of the soldiers or her co-workers.  Lets be realistic guys, we have all heard it, "this woman is a ****" etc...

Women should be allowed to serve but you need proper regulations and policy in place before this is allowed to happen and I think the Marines are going about this the right way trying to determine what those are.  Sometimes I don't think we are very mature or professional in the way we handle women in the combat arms either and this has nothing to do with the physical aspects of the job, rather it has everything to do with the social aspects.  I could get into some things I have seen but I am not going to do that on a public forum.

My  :2c:

Finally, a post that acknowledges there is more to this than just the standards and equal opportunity.

I personally believe we have a discipline problem with fraternization in the Canadian Army.  I know of a number of people, non-commissioned and officers who have engaged in behavior that would meet the criteria of fraternization.  Including officer-NCM relationships.  In no cases have I seen the CoC pursue charges.  Now we can say that this is a leadership issue but it is also a direct result of women being integrated, or of women being integrated without the proper culture being put in place. The question is, is it possible to attain the culture, and what harm does fraternization have on our units? 

ArmyVern said:
tomahawk6 said:
Women cannot handle the rigors of combat faced by the infantry.They do just fine in most other fields.There I said it Vern.I preferred military grounds/standards ect.
Some already have.  ::)

I think we need to be very careful about this.  We've been patting ourselves on the back for the past several years about our combat experience in Afghanistan, however, what we really did was execute low intensity conflict against a foe that had little ability to coordinate combined arms or employ truly rugged terrain against us. These ops employed a great deal of motorized/mechanized assets based out of sprawling FOB's/COP's that required a few hours of patrolling then a return to these bases that featured many amenities and force protection. How often did we stay out weeks at a time conducting continuous operations? Rarely did we close with and destroy the enemy.  Let's not think that Afghanistan was WW 1 or WW 2, or Korea, or Vietnam.  How does a unit with women integrated perform in that environment?  Our current system has not be tested by a major adversary.

cupper said:
Having read the article previously, there are a lot of points she raised about her own experience that she attempts to extend out to all females, without really giving any evidence that the problems were specific to females. In particular, the lower back issues could very well have occurred in a male of the same stature, let alone anyone who underwent the same hardships she describes.

Essentially she's taken 1 data point and drawn a conclusion that may not stand up to more testing.

But I really have to question whether or not she had an underlying undiagnosed condition that caused  many of the issues she described. Her point about being diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) raises a flag for me. From personal experience with my wife having been diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago, much of what she described could well be the result of another undiagnosed condition which also resulted in the development of PCOS.

All she is really saying is that her body was abused due to constant work under heavy loads, stress and lack of sleep. But she got through it. If you went through a comprehensive survey of physical conditions of infantry troops that underwent similar deployment history, I suspect you'd find many of the same ailments and complaints.

The first time I read it, I wrote it off as more or less someone whining about having a bad outcome from an experience that many others underwent as well. And haveing read it again, my opinion still has not changed.

As I said previously, If the female candidate is able to pass the all of the requirements for selection into the infantry trade, passes the courses and other training, and is fully capable of preforming the necessary tasks of the trade there is not other reason to exclude that person from the infantry.

Capt Petronio points out some very real and important differences with men and women, however.  It's not just about women not being as strong or fast.  They also have lower bone density and connective tissues which no amount of training will change.  Many of the women who are failing the Marines IOC (Infantry Officer Course) and at SOI (School of Infantry for the enlisted) are suffering fractured pelvis' and other severe bone injuries that will likely result in extensive medical bills and then either remuster or release.  If they release then the military loses all the time and money put into that recruit.  The institution owes it to the country and its people to look at long term effects and find out if women in the infantry is sustainable over the long term for the members but also for the institution who spends national resources to train them and is entrusted with safeguarding the security and interests of the nation.  You'll all be interested to know that the next phase of experimentation is to stand up at Battalion Landing Team with 30% females that will go through a high readiness training cycle to include a trip to Bridgeport, the mountain warfare training center.  Hopefully they have the pleasure of hiking Lost Cannon Peak.  >:D

On this point, we don't integrate professional sports.  Does anyone think that it would be appropriate for women to be in the NFL?  How about in boxing or MMA where they are divided by weight class?  Despite the comparable size the man will likely be an unfair match up for the woman.  If a unit is a collection of the capabilities and the competencies of the individuals who make it up is it good for that unit to have a group who is physically incapable of performing as well as the others?

Standards have come up a lot in this conversation.  Just what is the Canadian Infantry standard?  I'd love to hear it because 8 years in and I don't know.  We have an army standard of the BFT (that still stands right?) and we've got our new FORCE test.  Does anyone really think these standards are sufficient?  Do they really represent what we should be able to do, or convey that we are a professional force?  I've yet to do the FORCE test as I'm in the US but I've been told that no one fails that thing and how many people fail the BFT for that matter?  This means that our standards aren't really a great starting point for this discussion. 

As for the Marines their standards aren't technically that much higher, except for two very important exceptions.  Their Physical Fitness Test is scored on a scale of 0-300.  To attain a 300 you have to do 100 crunches, 20 dead hang pull ups/chin ups and a 3 mile run in 18:00.  The pass is 3 chinups, 50 crunches, and the 3 mile in 28:00 for a 17-26 year old male.  Due to this scoring system there is a competitive edge to the PFT, getting the minimum is frowned upon.  Our system is pass or fail and encourages people to achieve the minimum vice trying to achieve their best.  So, this also has imbued the Marines with a real PT culture.  They are always training.  What this means is that attaining the "standard" (the minimum score) is not going to hack it in the Marines and people arriving at IOC scoring below a 275 are probably going to have a pretty hard time.  SOI is a little easier and has had a number of women be successful already.

What should be our standard?  How does it compare to our allies?  Would we hold ourselves accountable to it?  Army fitness manual tells us what we should be able to do army wide (level 3) but I don't think you'd find too many units who could attain those scores at an acceptable level.

A small point to be aware of in the American context.  The Marines turn over 75% of their personnel every 4 years.  That's right 75%.  I'm not sure about the Army but I would imagine it is lower but not by much.  This means that they are very sensitive to readiness, deployment cycles, and not getting their money's worth out of their Marines.  They want to get at least two tours out of those first term enlistees.  So people getting injured in training or becoming pregnant are major issues for them, whereas we have a longer term view as our retention is higher generally.

I'm currently posted to Quantico VA for Expeditionary Warfare School (for another 2 weeks) and this is a huge issue here.  If any of you have specific questions I could always try to track down some answers.

My (fairly limited) experience with females who work closely with infantry units on operations has proven to me that if we include females in combat arms units we need to face up to the following facts:

a) they can do the job, and

b) most are shagging, as well as fighting, for their country pretty much throughout the tour and everyone knows it, and it creates petty jealousies and other high school-like dramas that causes the kind of 'friction' that von Clausewitz never dreamed of, and

c) that the reputation they earn for a) is, sadly and inevitably, diminished unalterably by b), which is unfair, and

d) there are numerous negative 'knock on' (pun intended) effects that spill over to the home front as the rumours/ photos/ panties/ babies return with the battalion.

And no, I never indulged - myself - as it's hard enough to maintain the 'Warrior Poet-Monk' brand these days without adding the extra drama. ;D

As luck would have it Capt Petronio graduated from the distance version of EWS yesterday along with myself and the other resident graduates.  I had the luck to speak with her and confirm that she still felt the same way.  She told me that she has spoken to a few of our senior female officers and that the differences in opinion seem to lay in the differences between service with the Canadian army and the US Marines (greater mechanization, and a significantly greater dwell to deploy ratio).

Haligonian said:
A small point to be aware of in the American context.  The Marines turn over 75% of their personnel every 4 years.  That's right 75%.  I'm not sure about the Army but I would imagine it is lower but not by much.  This means that they are very sensitive to readiness, deployment cycles, and not getting their money's worth out of their Marines.  They want to get at least two tours out of those first term enlistees.  So people getting injured in training or becoming pregnant are major issues for them, whereas we have a longer term view as our retention is higher generally.

I'm currently posted to Quantico VA for Expeditionary Warfare School (for another 2 weeks) and this is a huge issue here.  If any of you have specific questions I could always try to track down some answers.

An amusing anecdote related to this 'always training' scenario for the USMC....

In 45 Cdo RM we had a very keen young USMC 1st Lt attached to us for one of our upcoming Norway tours. We were engaged in the usual round of pre-deployment training including PT, which was designed to get us fit for skiing across mountain ranges at 30 below with a house on our backs e.g., lots of tabbing with weight, running and gym time.

I'm the Coy 2IC so said 1st Lt reports to me to get the word on the training plan. He says 'I understand we've got a run this morning, what's the plan?'. I respond 'The usual 10 mile cross country run. Don't worry though, we're only wearing running shoes today'.

Of course he just about falls down when he hears this. I ask him what's the problem and he replies automatically - as if quoting from a manual  - 'In the USMC we are only allowed to run 3 miles. The first mile at X pace (sorry, can't remember the specific time he mentioned), the second mile at Y pace and the third mile at the pace of the slowest man'.

I made some bright remark like 'I hope the enemy obliges you' or something like that. To give him his due he attempted the run, but fell out about three times and was loaded on the meat wagon. He didn't do too well in Norway either, unfortunately.

On talking to him about it afterwards it was clear that the USMC recruits never really finished training, and that following their boot camp (13 weeks I think?)  the new marines had to follow and ongoing training cycle with various mandatory PO checks being managed by the battalions over the next year or so. By comparison, our Marines did a 30 week 'basic' course and were pretty much ready for promotion to section 2IC after a year in the Commando.

Could women do it? I'm sure that the USMC model would be better suited, in general, as they seemed to be well endowed with various kinds of internal combustion driven labour saving machinery. Which I guess is what being a 'real' military is all about. Unfortunately, other countries (like Canada and the UK) do not have as much of these devices so the LPC (leather personnel carrier) is more important, and as a result most women may not fare as well.

daftandbarmy said:
An amusing anecdote related to this 'always training' scenario for the USMC....

In 45 Cdo RM we had a very keen young USMC 1st Lt attached to us for one of our upcoming Norway tours. We were engaged in the usual round of pre-deployment training including PT, which was designed to get us fit for skiing across mountain ranges at 30 below with a house on our backs e.g., lots of tabbing with weight, running and gym time.

I'm the Coy 2IC so said 1st Lt reports to me to get the word on the training plan. He says 'I understand we've got a run this morning, what's the plan?'. I respond 'The usual 10 mile cross country run. Don't worry though, we're only wearing running shoes today'.

Of course he just about falls down when he hears this. I ask him what's the problem and he replies automatically - as if quoting from a manual  - 'In the USMC we are only allowed to run 3 miles. The first mile at X pace (sorry, can't remember the specific time he mentioned), the second mile at Y pace and the third mile at the pace of the slowest man'.

I made some bright remark like 'I hope the enemy obliges you' or something like that. To give him his due he attempted the run, but fell out about three times and was loaded on the meat wagon. He didn't do too well in Norway either, unfortunately.

On talking to him about it afterwards it was clear that the USMC recruits never really finished training, and that following their boot camp (13 weeks I think?)  the new marines had to follow and ongoing training cycle with various mandatory PO checks being managed by the battalions over the next year or so. By comparison, our Marines did a 30 week 'basic' course and were pretty much ready for promotion to section 2IC after a year in the Commando.

Could women do it? I'm sure that the USMC model would be better suited, in general, as they seemed to be well endowed with various kinds of internal combustion driven labour saving machinery. Which I guess is what being a 'real' military is all about. Unfortunately, other countries (like Canada and the UK) do not have as much of these devices so the LPC (leather personnel carrier) is more important, and as a result most women may not fare as well.

Daft,

It's quite interesting because our experiences are quite different. 

In speaking with instructors from SOI (School of Infantry) all Marines are reporting to their Bn's fully MOS qualified.  There is no PO checks to be completed at their new units.  There is of course plenty of continuation training going on. One of the big differences is that there is no formal course required to take on later leadership positions for enlisted Marines until much later (Pl 2IC I believe).  So their equivalent PLQ is not required.  This is something they are trying to make happen but their operational tempo is so fast that it is extremely difficult to get leadership buy in to send NCOs away for weeks to be trained on how to lead a squad.

As I mentioned in my original post, PT is defiantly a strong suit for the Marines now.  Particularly amongst the officers.

As for their vehicle mobility, that is one thing the Marines are short on and I'd say that pound for pound the Canadian Army is significantly more mechanized than the Marines.  All Marine Bn's are light, they don't even have 7 ton trucks by T/O, and mech assets (Amphib Asslt Vehicles) must be attached.  They've got 2 Bn's of AAVs and 2 Bn's of Tanks and both of these have been hit in the cut backs.

Haligonian said:
Daft,

It's quite interesting because our experiences are quite different. 

In speaking with instructors from SOI (School of Infantry) all Marines are reporting to their Bn's fully MOS qualified.  There is no PO checks to be completed at their new units.  There is of course plenty of continuation training going on. One of the big differences is that there is no formal course required to take on later leadership positions for enlisted Marines until much later (Pl 2IC I believe).  So their equivalent PLQ is not required.  This is something they are trying to make happen but their operational tempo is so fast that it is extremely difficult to get leadership buy in to send NCOs away for weeks to be trained on how to lead a squad.

As I mentioned in my original post, PT is defiantly a strong suit for the Marines now.  Particularly amongst the officers.

As for their vehicle mobility, that is one thing the Marines are short on and I'd say that pound for pound the Canadian Army is significantly more mechanized than the Marines.  All Marine Bn's are light, they don't even have 7 ton trucks by T/O, and mech assets (Amphib Asslt Vehicles) must be attached.  They've got 2 Bn's of AAVs and 2 Bn's of Tanks and both of these have been hit in the cut backs.

Well it looks like things have changed... for the better. I shall therefore wind my giraffe like neck in and STFU!  :D

As combat ban is lifted for women, watch this talk from a female master sergeant

The Pentagon announced earlier this week that it was lifting the ban on women in combat positions in the U.S. military. And today Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and General Martin E. Dempsey shared with The New York Times why they made this historic decision. For both of them, it came down having met and talked to many women capably and bravely performing difficult posts. Said Panetta, “To go out now and to see women performing the roles that they are performing and doing a great job at it, I think it just encouraged me. I think it encouraged all of us that everybody should have a chance to perform at any mission, if they can meet the qualifications.”

These words made me think of this powerful TEDx talk from airwoman Jennifer J. Allara, an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

“Iraq and Afghanistan — if you’ve been there, you have a story,” says Master Sergeant Allara in this talk given at TEDxScottAFB. “Mine starts at zero three thirty. For those of you who don’t know military time, that’s 3:30 am.”

In this talk, Allara tells the story of her final mission in Afghanistan, the comrade who didn’t make it through and how that day has affected her for years to come. She tells this emotional story to stress the importance of soldiers recognizing when they are not okay and need to seek help for the complicated emotions and thoughts that swirl around them. Allara encourages people to simply ask each other: are you okay?

http://blog.ted.com/2013/01/25/as-combat-ban-is-lifted-for-women-watch-this-tedx-talk-from-a-female-master-sergeant/

Back