• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Working out with a new tattoo?

Island Ryhno

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm going to get my first tat done on July 15th. I'm getting it done on my bicep/shoulder, almost like a half sleeve. My question is, did any of guys have any problems doing physical stuff after you had your tattoo done? Could you lift weights do pushups etc. How long did it take for you to be able to get full use back? Thanks guys,

Ryhno

I got mine on my stomach, so I worked out my abs a lot more just to have them formed. Tattoo usually takes around 6 weeks for it to heal, don't scratch it, don't swim, and keep applying the spray/cream they give you. At first when you are working out, it will feel different, but then the tattoo will start to peal, and you will notice nothing

So it's ok for me to work out right away? I'm getting it done on a Friday and would be back in the gym on Monday, is this ok?

I have my whole leg done with hot rod flames and an Austrian eagle on my back and I can tell you when Monday comes around the pain will be gone but it will definitely still be very tight.  It will also be looking at it's grossest at this time. I can't see there being any damage if you work out with it fresh but you will definitely be feeling some discomfort.

I'd give it more time.  Getting sweat in to and open wound (essentially what a tatoo is) would not be good...  When I've had mine done, I usually wait until most of the scab is gone before I hit the gym again..

I had one done on my right shoulder about 6 months ago. I had no problems whatsoever, I kept it bandaged for 4 days and it didn't get in the way once. It wasn't even sore - only when I applied direct pressure to it.

Don't worry about it, keep it clean with tattoo goo and tightly bandaged and it's good to go.

It may be an easy question for others to answer, but ask the tat artist when you go in too.

After I had mine done and went running shortly after, the only problem I had was that the tattoo was throbbing afterwards. Other than a little discomfort, I had no additional pain or difficulties from doing any form of PT.

Steve said:
I had one done on my right shoulder about 6 months ago. I had no problems whatsoever, I kept it bandaged for 4 days and it didn't get in the way once. It wasn't even sore - only when I applied direct pressure to it.

Don't worry about it, keep it clean with tattoo goo and tightly bandaged and it's good to go.

Hm, when I had mine done on my shoulder blade (Tuesday, June 21/05) I was told that after you take the bandage off in 2-4 hours, not to rebandage it, just to keep applying Polysporin or Tattoo Goo.
Whatever your specific Tattoo artist says is probably the best thing to follow. Mine was itchy for a bit, but now it's fully healed, and it hasn't even been a week. It looks great. But I was told to keep putting a thin layer of tattoo goo on it to keepp it vibrant. (It's a Heart with teh canadian flag in it, and then over the top of it says "Non Nobis Sed Patriae" not for ourselves but for our country.)
It felt cool when I got it, not too painful like I thought it was going to be. But now I want more lol  ;D!

Good luck!!

:cdn:

The pain depends on where you get it. My fist tattoo I got on my forarm and didn't hurt very much so I was thinkin people who say they hurt alot are pansies. Then I got one along my spine with a six needle outliner all the way. That hurt. If you put skin lotion on it (your artist will probably tell you about it) just slap a bunch on for like two weeks and you shouldn't have a problem. You shouldn't have it bandaged for more than 48 hours. Any nurse will tell you wounds need air to heal.

All this talk of tattoos makes me wanna get my fourth real soon!!  :D But just not sure of what yet  :-\

The tattoo guy told me to wait a week before working out, just to be sure everything heals proper and so there is no chance of "seepage" or bleeding out of the color. Mine is on my shoulder.

A buddy of mine had a tattoo done and he didn't follow the directions.... It been about a year and the part of the tat is missing!!! Not even scaring, like it didn't even take, or set, or whatever it is that the ink does.

Don't ask me how but he managed to do it. Just follow what the artist has to say, and you should be in the clear.

Joe.

In total I got three tats (chest, upper arm, and back), and my GF hates em  ;D . However, that aside, just keep the cream on them as specified, follow whatever your artist said, and if it was me, I'd be taking it east work-out wise, as I would not want to split anything, and damage the ink, as remember, you just can't wipe these things off, can ya.

Cheers,

Wes

Hey, lots of advice from the crowd, excellent. So I'll ask the artist when I go down what she recommends, then I'll follow it(with my own modifications of course  ;D) Also here is the tat I'm getting done!

Anywhere from $120 - $160, no higher than that is the quote I got. Is that a good price? The artist told me it would take about 2 hours. They are a very reputable business and the head guy is a very respected artist. Check out the website and tell me what you think, www.troubleboundtattoos.com

If you've never gotten a tattoo there before I suggest you ask them to take you through the cleaning procedure. If they don't got an autoclave, leave. From the website provided I'd say that it sounds pretty good.

Seems like a good place.. their tattoo information seems good enough especially with their aftercare tips (seems pretty personalized too which I personally prefer over some sort of business like attitude).

Warlock tattoo in Brandon here is very personalized as well and has a "real" attitude to it and they are very good. I'd say to give it a shot

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Yeah atticus I'm very careful about that stuff, I would never take a risk like that. Thanks for the tips lads,

Ryhno!

Back