• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WTB - "Tactical" Shinpads

Snaketnk

Inactive
Reaction score
Wasn't sure wether this belonged more in the B/S/T or the General Equipment forum, so I made a roll of the dice, my apologies if this would be better off elsewhere.

Over the last few months of work-up training, I've put my shins through a lot of abuse, wether it be climbing over/through things or just riding in the back of a LAV. In fact, out of every part of my body that's been abused throughout the training, I definitely have to say my shins got the short-end of the stick. So, after hitting my shins particularly hard off a LAV bench because of a bump, I approached my CoC, asking if they'd approve of me getting non-issued shinpads of some sort, they were all for it (after laughing at me writhing on the ground from smashing my shins)

So I did some research, and found that the only ones I could find were fairly bulky, and only in black (which was my main issue). I'm a big guy, I can take a little bulk, In fact I'd appreciate it, but the fact that they'd be black means I'd have to paint them, which I know ends up lookin' like garbage on anything that isn't a C7 handguard. Just trying to avoid unnecessary attention of the SM type, y'know.

Alternatives that have been mentioned are Soccer shinpads, worn under my kit; reason I don't like this one is because if I ever wanted to remove them or re-adjust them for any reason, I'd have to take off my boots and pants, which isn't exactly expedient. The other alternative mentioned was Mountain Biking shin pads. Not a bad choice, except I could see difficulty making the majority of the available models not look like shiny disco balls (many of them have fancy designs and bright colours)

The two models I've seen that seem to have any merit are:
Hatch Centurion Shin/Leg Guards
and
Damascus Imperial Hard Shell Shin Guards

both were designed for SWAT/ERT type activities, but to me their only problem is the colour. My preference would be the Hatch ones, because I know lots of guys with other Hatch merchandise that swear on their workmanship.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or experience into the matter? I'd love to find something that's functional, but doesn't stick out too much (gold with red flames, hmmm) However, right now, my best bet seems to buy the Hatch shinguards, remove the foot pieces, and paint them with the Tan paint that's being distributed.

Thanks in advance.

I will admit I have never seen anyone wear shinpads. I suspect they may just be as much as a PITA as knee pads. Great idea in garrison, not so great after the 14th hour of climbing in and out of wadis. Also one more thing to lose/have stolen.

You will also look extremely un-warry, dressing up for a soccer game and not a gunfight.

Top tip - using the dull side of your bayonet, scrape downwards along your shins 2-3 times nightly. After a while, a thick layer of calloused skin will develop and offer the same protection as shin pads. With no laughter from your mates (who incidentally will also think you are a total hard man).

Back