• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yelling at BMQ

new recruit

Inactive
Reaction score
I fly out to St.Jean in twelve days to start BMQ. I have a quick question: if I'm getting yelled at for not doing something properly, or for some other reason, am I better off trying to explain myself or should I keep my mouth shut and just do it better?

Cheer up troop! Your instructors aren't going to yell at you for no reason. We yell when we see something wrong, dangerous or something that goes against what we taught you. There may be swearing and a loud voice, but listen carefully and you'll hear the fault (what was wrong) and the correction (how to fix it).  Every instructor has his/her own leadership style so there may not always be yelling.  Just do your job, listen to your instructor and you'll have a good course!

And yes, keep your mouth shut.

Westie MCpl's advice was spot on, IMHO. Don't overthink it, just do what your told as quickly as you can, with as little discussion as you can. Be the grey man. At the end of the course, you want your instructors to say, "Pte. Bloggins....who's that?"

Oh yeah, and don't shoot for top candidate. Most of those that do, in my experience, end up worrying about that too much and c0ck it up. A troop shooting for top candidate is easliy recognized by the brown stuff on the end of his nose.

By all means, try to clarify to your instructors why you are doing things the way you are! We like nothing better than having someone with your wealth of experience correcting us!

Obviously a little tongue-in-cheek, a good adage is "Keep your mouth shut and your ears open!" As you progress you will figure out which approach works with which instructor. Unlike Caesar says DO try your best but don't kiss ass, most instructors will have more respect for a candidate who gives his/her all and tries to help out their buddies.

Have a good one!

2 Cdo said:
Unlike Caesar says DO try your best but don't kiss ***, most instructors will have more respect for a candidate who gives his/her all and tries to help out their buddies.

Opps, sorry. When I said: "Don't overthink it, just do what your told as quickly as you can, with as little discussion as you can." I should have added 'as well as you can'.

thanks for pointing that out 2cdo

I have an issue with the whole:"Be a grey man" thing.

There is nothing wrong with giving it your all. Just understand where your energy is better spent. Brown nosing is definatly a no-no.

Be helpfull, not overbearing. A smile in a shitty situation might make a big difference. Just take it when you make a mistake and bounce right back up. Its all about attitude and the lack of a bad one. Don't look up for approval from the staff, but try and make everyone look good.

Your a team. You all make it or you don't.

This is why you were issued 2 ears, 2 eyes, and only 1 mouth, so you can watch and listen twice as much as you talk.  A lesson I learned a little later than some, and I paid for it in full.  For what it's worth...

CHIMO,  Kat

new recruit said:
I fly out to St.Jean in twelve days to start BMQ. I have a quick question: if I'm getting yelled at for not doing something properly, or for some other reason, am I better off trying to explain myself or should I keep my mouth shut and just do it better?
depends on what's being yelled, doesn't it? If he's yelling "Why were you doing that?" You'd be best served by answering the question, don't you think? It probably wouldn't do to simply ignore the large angry man.
However, if he's yelling "Don't do that, do it this way!" You'd probably be better off to respond with a prompt and hearty "Yes, MCpl!" And do exactly as he tells you.

Common sense should prevail. Just try to learn, fit in, and do your personal best. Always speak the truth and be part of the team. Everything else will unfold as it's supposed to.

My advice...your goal should be to do EVERYTHING you are told...if you are corrected then accept it with a "Yes MCpl" and if you are in bigger sh*t then "No excuse MCpl". DON'T dare talking back. If you complete BMQ with the instructors ever knowing your name, then you have succeeded. And no! You will not get ribbons for being potty trained and or making your bed right so just do as you are told when you are told to do it and before you know it it will all be over and you will move forward with your MOC training. Cheers and Good Luck! :cdn:

Honesty to admit the mistake and carry on....shows more guts and makes a good impression on your NCO's and your peers.

Lying will not.

Ran a search for this but didn't really see anything come up.

I'm a pretty decent guy who's obviously more than willing to give my 110% and help others do the same, and I understand that part of BMQ is removing a certain amount of recruits' identities in order to make them identify collectively as a unit.

However, I'm just wondering how much yelling instructors do - is it as much as in the movies (which are basically all American military, etc)?

Either way, do folks have any suggestions on how to deal with getting yelled at? I'm a pretty soft-spoken guy (with a big drill voice though) and don't want to be the Bloggins instructors talk about for years to come...

Don't worry, no one will yell at you. They are a very calm lot, decent chaps with highly evolved sensitivities.

NOT.
Just be prepared for the worst, expect a little emotional stress, take it like the adult that you are, and move on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Not as much yelling as you see Marine drill instructors do on YouTube. But there's yelling. Definitely. Can be stressful at first, becomes easier with each day, until it's part of the routine. Stay calm and listen to what is being said/yelled, and just follow the instructors. Speak loudly and clearly. Honestly, don't worry about it, it all becomes second nature.

The sooner you figure out the "game" the better off you'll be. Some figure it out in the first few weeks, some never do. Those that don't have a hard time.

It's been a while, but I don't recall any of of my instructors yelling at us for anything other than a good reason. A good reason, however, could be having to tell you twice how to do something. They never yelled at us jsut for the sake of yelling. Ultimately, they're there to teach you, not to enjoy a power trip, but they have only so much time and a lot of knoweldge to pass on. The faster you learn, and the faster you get your shit together, the faster they'll stop yelling. BMQ is a long 3 months (actually, I have no idea how long it is any more...), and after a while, even instructors get tired of yelling.

One of the courses I taught on had a candidate that, when asked if he had any concerns during the initial interview, mentioned he didn't like the yelling.  Apparently there were some issues in his past upbringing.  Just told him that yes, there would be yelling, lots of it, and not to take anything personally.

He ended up being selected for Top Candidate.

There will be yelling. Probably lots of it. Some will be directed collectively, some will be aimed specifically at you. It is for a reason; you need to be able to function despite noise, stress, and pressure. Nobody *likes* being yelled at. All are expected to function through it.

My advice is to suck it up and deal with it. If you cannot do that, it probably isn't the job for you.

RDJP said:
One of the courses I taught on had a candidate that, when asked if he had any concerns during the initial interview, mentioned he didn't like the yelling.  Apparently there were some issues in his past upbringing.  Just told him that yes, there would be yelling, lots of it, and not to take anything personally.

He ended up being selected for Top Candidate.

This is mostly the reason I have a problem with yelling. However, my hope is I'd just buck up and work that much harder.

Lumber said:
It's been a while, but I don't recall any of of my instructors yelling at us for anything other than a good reason. A good reason, however, could be having to tell you twice how to do something. They never yelled at us jsut for the sake of yelling. Ultimately, they're there to teach you, not to enjoy a power trip, but they have only so much time and a lot of knoweldge to pass on. The faster you learn, and the faster you get your crap together, the faster they'll stop yelling. BMQ is a long 3 months (actually, I have no idea how long it is any more...), and after a while, even instructors get tired of yelling.

Super helpful, thank you! (Also, 10 weeks now I believe.)

Back