• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yelling at BMQ

ShoddyGunner said:
This is mostly the reason I have a problem with yelling. However, my hope is I'd just buck up and work that much harder.

If you think you have an issue now with getting yelled at due to your past waiting until your on course to figure it out is probably a poor choice.

Jarnhamar said:
If you think you have an issue now with getting yelled at due to your past waiting until your on course to figure it out is probably a poor choice.

Oh, I've sorted my past out and it's behind me. I didn't mean that that way, I just wanted to give context that that's where it was coming from and that it wasn't just some abstract worry. Not a "I'm going to have a break down" kind of way.

Okay but you didn't use past tenths.

"the reason I have a problem with yelling".

Reading that I would say the issue isn't behind you at all but it's not me going though course so I guess time will tell.

There is yelling at BMQ. You will get yelled at by your platoon mates, by your instructors, by PSP staff and by instructors/staff at CFLRS from different platoons. However, how much of it actually takes place from your own staff really depends on the dynamic of the platoon they're running. My first platoon had very little "yelling." 'Raised voices here and there and jacking-up that was more humorous than anything else. There was yelling during drill, there was yelling at different times during various activities, but it wasn't anxiety-inducing or anything.

On my second platoon? Very different story. There was lots of yelling. Often. But here's the thing. Yelling/speaking very loudly naturally raises one's stress level. At BMQ you will often be stressed out. But it's how you handle it, and you're supposed to be stressed out. Tired. Under slept and underfed. At the same time, though, there were instances where the staff 'fell out of character', so to speak, and were fun. They cracked jokes, they told stories....it was just fun.

So have fun. Don't take the yelling personally. Don't take the jacking up personally. Do what you're told, even if it's stupid. (Most) of it will make sense later.

Jarnhamar said:
Okay but you didn't use past tenths.

"the reason I have a problem with yelling".

Reading that I would say the issue isn't behind you at all but it's not me going though course so I guess time will tell.

Fair point. Though I admitted from the beginning I "have" a problem with getting yelled at (thus wanted clarification so I'd know whether it's to an extent/in a way I can handle, which it sounds like it definitely is).

BeyondTheNow said:
There is yelling at BMQ. You will get yelled at by your platoon mates, by your instructors, by PSP staff and by instructors/staff at CFLRS from different platoons. However, how much of it actually takes place from your own staff really depends on the dynamic of the platoon they're running. My first platoon had very little "yelling." 'Raised voices here and there and jacking-up that was more humorous than anything else. There was yelling during drill, there was yelling at different times during various activities, but it wasn't anxiety-inducing or anything.

On my second platoon? Very different story. There was lots of yelling. Often. But here's the thing. Yelling/speaking very loudly naturally raises one's stress level. At BMQ you will often be stressed out. But it's how you handle it, and you're supposed to be stressed out. Tired. Under slept and underfed. At the same time, though, there were instances where the staff 'fell out of character', so to speak, and were fun. They cracked jokes, they told stories....it was just fun.

So have fun. Don't take the yelling personally. Don't take the jacking up personally. Do what you're told, even if it's stupid. (Most) of it will make sense later.

Thanks for the insight!

ShoddyGunner said:
Fair point. Though I admitted from the beginning I "have" a problem with getting yelled at (thus wanted clarification so I'd know whether it's to an extent/in a way I can handle, which it sounds like it definitely is).

They aren't "yelling" at you.  They are adding emphasis to whatever they are saying and or trying to reinforce the point.  It's part of the training and something which you may encounter from time to time.

Last time someone "yelled" at me, was on the parade square and giving a drill command.  A position that you yourself, could very well be in sometime in the future.  And your Training Staff are also held accountable for their actions.  Seen a few "removed" this year for various reasons.  So it's a two way street. 

If you're that concerned about someone raising their voice to you, you're over thinking things.  The people I worry about, are the ones who don't because they are usually the smart ones.    :)

DAA said:
They aren't "yelling" at you.  They are adding emphasis to whatever they are saying and or trying to reinforce the point.  It's part of the training and something which you may encounter from time to time.

Last time someone "yelled" at me, was on the parade square and giving a drill command.  A position that you yourself, could very well be in sometime in the future.  And your Training Staff are also held accountable for their actions.  Seen a few "removed" this year for various reasons.  So it's a two way street. 

If you're that concerned about someone raising their voice to you, you're over thinking things.  The people I worry about, are the ones who don't because they are usually the smart ones.    :)

Perfect! I'm down with drill (love it, won a few comps in cadets) and all that is what the military is about. It was more the powertrippers I was worried about.

Can't say I've ever yelled drill commands on a parade square...commands are projected, a much different thing actually (among other things, it helps save your voice).  However, I have yelled at people on a parade square when they looked/acted like Mr/Ms Bags O'Shyte.

MM

My instructors didn't really yell all that much. The PT instructor however who was not even in the Military but a civi working with DND(I assume) was the hardest on all of us. He would single us out individually and just yell to the point where we all got use to it and was just thinking "what the f*ck is he yelling for now".

medicineman said:
Can't say I've ever yelled drill commands on a parade square...commands are projected, a much different thing actually (among other things, it helps save your voice).  However, I have yelled at people on a parade square when they looked/acted like Mr/Ms Bags O'Shyte.

MM

Diaphragms are great pieces of evolution :D

ShoddyGunner said:
This is mostly the reason I have a problem with yelling. However, my hope is I'd just buck up and work that much harder.

It's not yelling just for the sake of yelling.

- in combat, you will get yelled at over the sound of rounds going off, engines, grenades, all that stuff.
- if driving, the crew commander may yell "STOP!!!!!" before the vehicle drives into a ditch/trench/whatever.
- flying, if you are in a emergency and can only pass info via a runner, the runner and others will likely be yelling.

If you can't deal with yelling in a benign environment such as BMQ, you might need to grow some thick skin for the situations that may happen above.

:2c:

I wouldn't not do the course just because you feel you may have an issue with yelling. Most people seem to adjust quickly. I don't know the details of your past, but perhaps you will be able to look at military yelling not as a reminder of something hurtful but as a positive thing - a mechanism that's been made part of the job to keep you safe, to increase efficiency, etc. - in other words, to benefit you. Also, I found that other stresses at BMQ overshadow the stress of being yelled at. Your greater stresses will be meeting the assigned timings, performing weapon drills directly in front of your instructors, pushing yourself through the ruck marches, generally not f*cking up various instructions, etc. Also, as was mentioned, eventually some time into the course the instructors mellow out and crack a few jokes (when they're teaching a lecture, for example, not all the time), which changes your perception of them and can make the occasional yelling easier to take after you've seen that side of them. I say just try not worrying about all these things ahead of time. Go in with an open mind and sense of humour, and adjust to whatever happens along the way.

Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker down here, who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh?! The fairy fucking godmother said it! Out-fucking-standing! I will P.T. you all until you fucking die! I'll P.T. you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk.

But like EITS said it serves a purpose to a certain degree.....

Eye In The Sky said:
It's not yelling just for the sake of yelling.

- in combat, you will get yelled at over the sound of rounds going off, engines, grenades, all that stuff.
- if driving, the crew commander may yell "STOP!!!!!" before the vehicle drives into a ditch/trench/whatever.
- flying, if you are in a emergency and can only pass info via a runner, the runner and others will likely be yelling.

If you can't deal with yelling in a benign environment such as BMQ, you might need to grow some thick skin for the situations that may happen above.

:2c:

I went through basic training just before there was a Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Yelling, shouting, huffing and puffing until the MCPL's 'stache nearly exploded were the least of our problems.  Of course, back then, nobody really had any expectation to be treated gently, but we also felt pretty damned sure that our platoon NCO's were doing nothing but making strong, obedient soldiers out of us, and nothing more than that. We knew where we stood in the beginning, and we were encouraged to stand proud at the end (if you made it.) It seems things are more complicated these days.     

In any course, trying to keep your act together and helping others is what gets noticed and in a good way.

Nothing is worse than the crybabies who can't make it through a morning without the waterworks.

Back