• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Oh f*ck, never mind. :rolleyes:

This guideline has been violated several times, but it doesn't seem to matter.

"Personal Attacks
Army.ca has a zero tolerance policy for personal attacks, whether against another Army.ca member or a public figure."

So, I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

The virus has a proper name, SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19. Please use it.
I would totally get behind this, except people went on and talked about

British Variant
Brazilian Variant
South African Variant
And now there is talk of the Indian Variant

The only one people got up in arms about was the Chinese one, which kind of says all I need to know.

Every once in a while, people have to rediscover the idea of "prosecutorial discretion". It can be difficult to follow a policy of applying all of the rules, equally to everyone, all of the time.

British Variant
Brazilian Variant
South African Variant

The only one people got up in arms about was the Chinese one, which kind of says all I need to know.
Except it was called the China Virus, the Kung Flu etc etc. Nobody kicked British 80 year olds in the street or left Brazilian families nasty messages on their lawn, or called the South African variant the Zulu Flu.

If the people on a certain political spectrum had not started with the derogatory childish identity politics they inserted into the pandemic we wouldn’t be at this point and Asians wouldn’t have been targeted the way they were.

Decry political correctness all they want, their side have only themselves to blame if they get called out. Or be a professional, and call it what it is actually named.

Except it was called the China Virus, the Kung Flu etc etc. Nobody kicked British 80 year olds in the street or left Brazilian families nasty messages on their lawn, or called the South African variant the Zulu Flu.

If the people on a certain political spectrum had not started with the derogatory childish identity politics they inserted into the pandemic we wouldn’t be at this point and Asians wouldn’t have been targeted the way they were.

Decry political correctness all they want, their side have only themselves to blame if they get called out. Or be a professional, and call it what it is actually named.
I just want fairness.

It is downright hypocritical of people to casually say UK variant, Brazilian variant or South African variant, Indian variant and not their B1.1.7 or P1, B1.351 or B1.617 but you call covid the China virus and suddenly its racist.

Uk-European/Caucasian
South African- African/Black
Brazilian-Latin American
Indian- Asian

If its racist against one, its racist against all, and if its not racist against one, its not racist against all.

Yeah but..........all of the media have been quite comfortable with describing the variants, except for Wuhan flu. They (the media) have never been described as racist. Your analogy has to be applied both ways, or it is fallacious.

British Variant
Brazilian Variant
South African Variant
For future reference:

B.1.1.7
P.1
B.1.351
B.1.617

And now there is also B.1.427 and B.1.429, first identified in California in Feb 2021.

It has to do with stigma. It’s that simple. The Spanish Flu did not start in Spain and Spain wasn’t hit nearly as badly as others yet the name sticks to this day. AIDS is still associated with gay people and they have stigmatized for it for decades. The naming of the swine flu caused certain economic issues because people started culling pigs.

It’s best to call it what it is. Again, none of those other variants were given cheeky identify politics style names. I think they shouldn’t be using any of those names for those variants anyways.

Whataboutism doesn’t help though to defend your position. Just because they use those names for variants doesn’t make it right or justifies using them ourselves. When I get called a frog I don’t respond with the N word because they are hypocrites. We should be better than that.

For future reference:

B.1.1.7
P.1
B.1.351
B.1.617

And now there is also B.1.427 and B.1.429, first identified in California in Feb 2021.
That's the problem with viruses, there are inevitably variants.

I have four kids under 15. I am terrified that a variant of this current virus, which does not seem to impact kids, will manifest itself and spread through the community.

That's the problem with viruses, there are inevitably variants.

I have four kids under 15. I am terrified that a variant of this current virus, which does not seem to impact kids, will manifest itself and spread through the community.
They just approved Pfizer for 12 and up. So hopefully it will offer a degree of protection. It still I pacts kids if they get it. Just to a lesser degree but no one wants to see any kid be the one to get a bad case of it.

Nobody kicked British 80 year olds in the street or left Brazilian families nasty messages on their lawn, or called the South African variant the Zulu Flu.

Which suggests there are underlying causes, and what the virus is called is not really the problem. Any kind of criticism is conceivably a potential "trigger", in which case there can be no criticism at all.

It has to do with stigma. It’s that simple. The Spanish Flu did not start in Spain and Spain wasn’t hit nearly as badly as others yet the name sticks to this day. AIDS is still associated with gay people and they have stigmatized for it for decades. The naming of the swine flu caused certain economic issues because people started culling pigs.

It’s best to call it what it is. Again, none of those other variants were given cheeky identify politics style names. I think they shouldn’t be using any of those names for those variants anyways.

Whataboutism doesn’t help though to defend your position. Just because they use those names for variants doesn’t make it right or justifies using them ourselves. When I get called a frog I don’t respond with the N word because they are hypocrites. We should be better than that.
Again, its simple.

Just call them

H1N1-18
SARS-CoV-2
B.1.1.7
P.1
B.1.351
B.1.617

I just can't help but roll my eyes when people get all up in arms over naming China and be completely mute about seeing stuff like this.

There are thousands of different variants of Covid circulating across the world.
The UK, South Africa and Brazil strains have all been deemed "variants of concern":
  • The UK or Kent variant (also known as B.1.1.7) is prevalent in Britain, but has spread to more than 50 countries and appears to be mutating again
  • The South Africa variant (B.1.351) has been identified in at least 20 other countries, including the UK
  • The Brazil variant (P.1) has spread to more than 10 other countries, including the UK
In addition, around 200 cases of the India variant (B.1.617) had been confirmed in the UK as of 28 April.

British Variant
Brazilian Variant
South African Variant

There is a difference between referring to where a variant is first observed, and insinuating that a virus was engineered and released (accidentally or deliberately) by a country's government.

My comment was meant for here in these forums where we can actually control what we say, not for what's said in the media.

There is a difference between referring to where a variant is first observed, and insinuating that a virus was engineered and released (accidentally or deliberately) by a country's government.
So Chinese Flu akin to Spanish flu would be acceptable then?

They just approved Pfizer for 12 and up. So hopefully it will offer a degree of protection. It still I pacts kids if they get it. Just to a lesser degree but no one wants to see any kid be the one to get a bad case of it.
Sure, and I have two teenagers, but also a 9 year old and a four year old. I could care less about how variants are ascribed/described and more what next/how, now and that a plan is in place. Adults have been considered/kids not at all.

Back