• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survey on National Monument to Canada's Mission in Afghanistan

They all fail to connect fully. Although not what first came to mind as a war monument, I find the Daoust to be the least worst...I was embedded with the Afghan government and we had a meeting and parter area in the compound that the Daoust monument reminds me of, as it related to working with Afghans to improve their own country. The other monuments seem to either be some artists completely disconnected impression of what some/most/all of Afghanistan was about, or poorly executed copies/similarities to other previous monuments. Vests on crosses by themselves seems like an ‘almost, but didn’t hit the Mark’ and few have a link either to Canadians at home supporting (perhaps a representation of one of the bridges overhead the Highway of Heroes?) or Afghans trying to make their nation better, but experiencing tragedy along that path...

Loachman’s suggestion to engage with Silvia Picota is a good one...had the honour of hosting her on one of her trips to AFG...she gets it...ask for her help.

overall: disappointing

The Stemson design seems like the best of the worst, or at least the one I hated the least. The rest are meaningless, soulless "modern" art and look more like a city park than a war memorial.

Yeah - I still don't really get what that's about.

Like the Peacekeeping memorial.

Simply ugly. Especially in contrast to the National War Memorial, which is stunningly beautiful.

As I wandered through the (unexpectedly gigantic) PKM it I thought 'WTF is this supposed to be about?'.

It does an amazing disservice to Peacekeeping though, which was likely unintentional but probably the result of a cenotaph designed by committee.

If the survey doesn't identify a clear winner, one in tune with the politically correct notion of contemporary remembrance, the message will be that the Canadian public chose not to commemorate the Afghanistan conflict.

How do I dislike these designs, let me count the ways . . . wait, there's no mechanism at their website to properly do so. At my first attempt to register my displeasure, I clicked forward the pages, couldn't check any of the boxes indicating which design best met their list of criteria (none of them did for me), didn't have three "adjectives" (is crap an adjective?) and when you go past that page, it's submitted. Had to use my tablet to get another kick at the cat (one submission per device). This time my adjectives consisted of "derivative" (PFS Studio), "meaningless" and "crap".

I didn't serve in Afghanistan. I knew a few of those whose names will probably be etched on the memorial - at least one that I could call a friend. I shouldn't get worked up over this, it's likely that one of these five designs will eventually get selected regardless of any comment I (or other members of this forum) provide. Maybe it's for the best that I have no plans to return to Ottawa, so it's likely that I will never have to see what finally get puts in that space and compare what my emotions are with the "design concepts" that these pieces of ________ (fill in your own description) hoped to evoke.

How do I dislike these designs, let me count the ways . . . wait, there's no mechanism at their website to properly do so. At my first attempt to register my displeasure, I clicked forward the pages, couldn't check any of the boxes indicating which design best met their list of criteria (none of them did for me), didn't have three "adjectives" (is crap an adjective?) and when you go past that page, it's submitted. Had to use my tablet to get another kick at the cat (one submission per device). This time my adjectives consisted of "derivative" (PFS Studio), "meaningless" and "crap".

I didn't serve in Afghanistan. I knew a few of those whose names will probably be etched on the memorial - at least one that I could call a friend. I shouldn't get worked up over this, it's likely that one of these five designs will eventually get selected regardless of any comment I (or other members of this forum) provide. Maybe it's for the best that I have no plans to return to Ottawa, so it's likely that I will never have to see what finally get puts in that space and compare what my emotions are with the "design concepts" that these pieces of ________ (fill in your own description) hoped to evoke.

To quote Monty Python: 'We already got one'

The Afghanistan Memorial
Dedicated: 30 September 2017
Interpretive Panels Unveiled: 11 April 2018
by Her Honour, The Honourable Judith Guichon, OBC, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia

Visit the BC Afghanistan Memorial

The BC Afghanistan Memorial is located in Victoria at the corner of Quadra and Courtney Streets, behind the Provincial Courthouse and across from Christ Church Cathedral.

1621787064255.png

There was a pretty extensive consultation process prior to the design competition :

And back then the online consultation was noted on this site.

The latest ...

More info about the proposed memorial here, and you can fill out the online survey here.

I don't know if anyone else took advantage of the opportunity to participate, but back then the input they sought was what the memorial should represent. Now, they are looking for validation about what it should look like. Design doesn't always adequately translate what individuals want to say. I think it may be safe to say that many who have commented here are traditionalists when it comes to memorials.

Did you notice how there was no choice for free-form comments. Just - pick one of these monstrosities so that we can say we consulted the public. I'll be sending an email as well.
It does let you apply three adjectives to each proposal. If you think they are irrelevant, out-of-touch, pretentious, horrid, ostentatious, or "meh" then you can label them as such.

To quote Monty Python: 'We already got one'

The Afghanistan Memorial
Dedicated: 30 September 2017
Interpretive Panels Unveiled: 11 April 2018
by Her Honour, The Honourable Judith Guichon, OBC, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia

Visit the BC Afghanistan Memorial

That looks decent.

Attachments

• Photograph of Afghanistan War Memorial.png
    Photograph of Afghanistan War Memorial.png
    616 KB · Views: 16
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Afghanistan_Memorial_East_View.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Afghanistan_Memorial_East_View.png
    771.1 KB · Views: 15
Personally I'd like to see statues of some of the likenesses of our soldiers who served there. I have a concept in my head fighting to get out.

"Outside The Wire" is the title I'd give it.

Personally I'd like to see statues of some of the likenesses of our soldiers who served there. I have a concept in my head fighting to get out.

"Outside The Wire" is the title I'd give it.
Something like this:

tumblr_n5s6o52gkS1r1zhw1o1_500.jpg

or this:

PC_140917_ig9ex_rci-soldierscdn-afghanistan_sn635.jpg

or a portion of this:

DSCN0813a.jpg

🍻

INFO/INFO (PCH)<pch.info-info.pch@canada.ca>, pch.recherchedopinionpublique-publicopinionresearch.pch@canada.ca

Dear Client Service and Public Support Person

I do not know your name, so cannot thank you as I would prefer, but know that I truly appreciate your response below.

In truth, like most, I have long been cynical about governments so such a rapid response is refreshing.

I shared my concerns with friends and colleagues online, and received much the same comments as my own in reply. Some thought that various designs were less-offensive than others, but nobody seemed to truly like any of them.

One guy posted a photograph of the new Navy Memorial, which also failed, dismally, to inspire or to have any discernible meaning. It is a wall with a golden orb affixed to its top. One comment was that it represents a "dropped ball", ie a failure.

We received tremendous support from the Canadian public during that campaign, which was heartening.

One wonders what that same supportive public would think if they knew how those of us who went feel about these designs.

One also wonders if those responsible for design and selection - here's that cynicism again - really care enough about what we and that supportive public thinks to halt it and start again.

But you, at least, have done your part, and so I thank you again for that.

Loachman

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:32:17 AM EDT, INFO/INFO (PCH) <pch.info-info.pch@canada.ca> wrote:

We received the email below from Loachman regarding the
On-line Questionnaire on Finalists’ Design Proposals for the
National Monument to Canada’s Mission in Afghanistan.

Please respond directly to Loachman at Loachman@something.com

Thank you and have a nice day.

Client Service and Public Support

Department of Canadian Heritage | Government of Canada

I do like how the concept art of the ripoff of the Vietnam memorial shows it full of leaves.

Back