• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Should they go on trips and flout the rules that regular Canadians have to follow? That seems to be the standard for acting like a Government right now.
He’s being quarantined when he gets back. I’m guessing the current list of hotels are unsuitable for a PM to be able to keep doing his job. Honestly this is a waste of time. It’s stupid. He’s the PM. I don’t care if it’s Trudeau or Harper or whoever. The PM is the PM. He’s on official business and I assume he’s required to keep working. He’s got staff and a security detail. Not every hotel can accommodate that. But let’s pass useless motions and cry foul.

Flying on a different plane isn't illegal. It's currently illegal to not quarantine in one of those hotels.
According to the article "he is staying at a specially arranged hotel in Ottawa". Maybe it's been cleared with CBSA already.

This is the kind of crap that will lose the conservatives the next election. How about they actually show everyone how they are a government in waiting instead of this sort of thing.
Since the Liberals enacted the law and if they didn't put a caveat on it for the PM, then they are obligated to follow the law. It might actually drive home that creating poorly/hastily written law has consequences.

Since the Liberals enacted the law and if they didn't put a caveat on it for the PM, then they are obligated to follow the law. It might actually drive home that creating poorly/hastily written law has consequences.
The law allows for exemptions for essential workers. Now if you want to debate whether the leader of a country is considered essential I’ll leave that for another thread. Again. This is dumb. There is plenty to go after the PM on. This however is a waste of time.

Did they enact a law, or did the governor in council proclaim regulations under an existing statute? What do those regulations actually say? Are there conditions on it that exempt certain categories of people? Do government officials on official business fall into one of them?

Remius had it right. This is stupid theatrical bullshit on the part of the opposition. Leave the pathetic histrionics to the Ontario Proud editors. Our government has work to do, regardless of which particular clowns are currently running the circus.

Even if a regulation, the Governor in Council has a duty to do it well, and if by chance they skewer this PM via an OIC, then I hope he gets to feel what it means when a crap piece of Regulation makes your life hell, like he did to about 2.2 million Canadians.

I believe this is the applicable regulation under the Quarantine Act. It's long. For those who are particularly excited about the topic, go nuts.

Orders In Council - Search

He’s being quarantined when he gets back. I’m guessing the current list of hotels are unsuitable for a PM to be able to keep doing his job. Honestly this is a waste of time. It’s stupid. He’s the PM. I don’t care if it’s Trudeau or Harper or whoever. The PM is the PM. He’s on official business and I assume he’s required to keep working. He’s got staff and a security detail. Not every hotel can accommodate that. But let’s pass useless motions and cry foul.
Amen.

Regardless of political party, who the PM is, etc - the government has work to do, and the leader of the country has work to do. Yes, as the PM, the rules DON'T always apply to him when it comes to practical accommodations for the position.

It's like when people say "Well the PM should just fly commercial, look at how expensive the fuel is for his plane!" 😠 No, WestJet doesn't fly direct to 'wherever the PM is needed, when he decides he is needed there' on a commercial basis.

No, the leader of a G7 country doesn't need to go through airport security to have their hand sanitizer confiscated because It's one fluid ounce over the limit, and therefore might be a bomb." 🤦‍♂️

Does the fleet of Challengers get used? Ofcourse. It's a fleet of 4 medium sized business jets with some enhanced communications systems that are to be used as required by the federal government. Half of which are so old, we needed to get special permission just to fly them outside of Canada because some of their systems were outdated.

The leadership of a G7 country isn't expected to travel commercial. And if they did travel commercial, the same people fussing that they should, would be the same people outraged that our leaders aren't representing us well by arriving commercial. If 3rd world dictators can arrive at political summits using non-commercial planes, the PM of Canada surely can.

Will he quarantine? Maybe. Maybe not. Plans are already well in place, and have been for a while now, to keep the PM and his staff as safe as possible from Covid.

The Prime Minister of Canada is representing Canada, a G7 country, at the G7 meeting. Along with the elected leaders of the other G7 countries. It really must be a slow news day...

Soooooo the moral of this story is - don't go exploring bat caves looking for new viruses, grab some bats to take back to the lab, then get bitten by those same bats?

Happy Monday folks!

Back