• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then why not put such contemporary issues to bed (abortion, climate change, etc.) and get rid of the seagulls around conservatives’ neck during the election? 🤷🏻‍♂️
BECAUSE THE 3RD ESTATE WON'T LET IT. And you can be sure that someone somewhere will ask a candidate his personal views on those issues. Shortly thereafter those personal views will be expressed as "a conservative spokesperson said..." and voila, you have another secret agenda. And you can be sure that the libs have an entire library of quotes from a few years back to ensure that those issues remain front and centre.

BECAUSE THE 3RD ESTATE WON'T LET IT. And you can be sure that someone somewhere will ask a candidate his personal views on those issues. Shortly thereafter those personal views will be expressed as "a conservative spokesperson said..." and voila, you have another secret agenda. And you can be sure that the libs have an entire library of quotes from a few years back to ensure that those issues remain front and centre.
You seem to be forgetting the part where cpc mps keep putting forward private members bills and voting for more restrictions on abortion, making it rather easy for the 3rd estate to make the claim that the CPC is the party of anti abortion.

The CPC could just do what the LPC did and kick the anti abortion members out of the party.

No idea to be honest.

But this is the Liberal minority government 2019-???? thread and this is a provincial liberal matter, so wrong place no?

Certainly an embarrassing story, I'd try to deflect it too.

No idea to be honest.

But this is the Liberal minority government 2019-???? thread and this is a provincial liberal matter, so wrong place no?
The average voter will not distinguish between the two so a provincial matter will bleed over into a federal matter and vice versa.

No idea to be honest.

Maybe the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree? People have no problem linking the actions of provincial conservative parties with the federal one. Why should the Liberals get different treatment?

The Liberal party in BC is an example of one not closely affiliated with the federal party. Although the NDP provincial and federal parties used to be strongly connected, there's been some recent divergence and open talk of putting more distance between federal and provincial wings. Any conclusion about NS Liberals would have to draw on the simple fact of how connected that provincial wing is to the federal party, if at all.

You seem to be forgetting the part where cpc mps keep putting forward private members bills and voting for more restrictions on abortion, making it rather easy for the 3rd estate to make the claim that the CPC is the party of anti abortion.

The CPC could just do what the LPC did and kick the anti abortion members out of the party.
True they could but then where is the freedom of speech that we brag about so much in that action. Plus, if the voters in the individual's home riding oppose his actions, they have the ability to turf him in the next election. Its called democracy and it may be messy, ungainly, and full of decisions that go against the feelings and convictions of many but it is 200% better than the alternatives. We brag about our freedoms vis-a-vis China or Cuba for example but if I write a note to the editor stating my feelings re: abortion or the schools thing, or whatever, I will be condemned, branded a homophobe, labelled sexist and quite possibly lose my job; if I still had one. Trudeau basically said anyone who doesn't totally agree with him is not welcome in the liberal party which makes him nothing more than a Fidel Castro wanna-be and the liberal party a flock of sheep.

True they could but then where is the freedom of speech that we brag about so much in that action.
Freedom of speech is lovely.

What people do with it is not always lovely.

The CPC has the issue where their freedom of speech is costing them.

They have the choice, they can be right in their eyes, or they can win. They are choosing to be righteous and right in their adherence to free speech.
Plus, if the voters in the individual's home riding oppose his actions, they have the ability to turf him in the next election. Its called democracy and it may be messy, ungainly, and full of decisions that go against the feelings and convictions of many but it is 200% better than the alternatives.
If the party come out and says that it will not run any anti abortion candidates those voters will go elsewhere. The voters in those ridings may go somewhere else, they may not,but the CPC could no longer be accused of being the party of anti abortion, could they?
We brag about our freedoms vis-a-vis China or Cuba for example but if I write a note to the editor stating my feelings re: abortion or the schools thing, or whatever, I will be condemned, branded a homophobe, labelled sexist and quite possibly lose my job; if I still had one.
Yes. Because some views are no longer viewed as widely acceptable in society. Freedom of speech doesn't mean Freedom from consequences. If I ran around saying gay marriage was immoral and all those sinners would burn in hell, my freedom of speech allows for that, but damn right i would face consequences for it.
Trudeau basically said anyone who doesn't totally agree with him is not welcome in the liberal party which makes him nothing more than a Fidel Castro wanna-be and the liberal party a flock of sheep.
The Greens ,Bloc and NDP do similar. I suppose they are Fidel Castro wanna be as well.

There is one major party that allows for this, the CPC. They are the outliers here, not the other way around.

And again, the CPC can do what it wants to do, but they can be punished at the polls accordingly.

The Liberal party in BC is an example of one not closely affiliated with the federal party. Although the NDP provincial and federal parties used to be strongly connected, there's been some recent divergence and open talk of putting more distance between federal and provincial wings. Any conclusion about NS Liberals would have to draw on the simple fact of how connected that provincial wing is to the federal party, if at all.
But liberals are all the same, no? :unsure:

No idea to be honest.

So, I just heard an attack ad on the radio, against Erin O’Toole, paid for by the “Coalition for something or other” (Pretty clearly a Liberal Party Affiliate- the NDP and Greens are not after CPC voters).

It was pretty over the top (along the same lines as “Troops. In the Streets. Etc”). The basic jist was that Erin O’Toole is Jason Kenney!!!

So if the Federal Liberals are linking the CPC to the Provincial Parties, turnabout is fair play, no?

Good post. BC Liberals are in fact totally unaffiliated with the federal party.

NB, NS, PEI, and NL Liberals are all officially affiliated with the federal party (i.e. the President of the NSLP is also the Provincial Board Director of the LPC, according to the NSLP constitution).

So, I just heard an attack ad on the radio, against Erin O’Toole, paid for by the “Coalition for something or other” (Pretty clearly a Liberal Party Affiliate- the NDP and Greens are not after CPC voters).

It was pretty over the top (along the same lines as “Troops. In the Streets. Etc”). The basic jist was that Erin O’Toole is Jason Kenney!!!

So if the Federal Liberals are linking the CPC to the Provincial Parties, turnabout is fair play, no?
That's funny.

I wasn't aware that we posters here were affiliates of federal parties and as such, had to engage in turnabout.

I was more under the impression that we were simply talking federal politics here, not provincial.

I suppose I'll begin talking about provincial parties in this thread as well. I just wanted to know what the expectations are here.

Many thanks.

I suppose I'll begin talking about provincial parties in this thread as well. I just wanted to know what the expectations are here.

Many thanks.

Sweet. You can start with the provincial liberal party forcing a female, successful business owning if I'm not mistaken, candidate to quit because of some pictures she took and then tell her to lie about it and blame mental health.

Sweet. You can start with the provincial liberal party forcing a female, successful business owning if I'm not mistaken, candidate to quit because of some pictures she took and then tell her to lie about it and blame mental health.
Darn those provincial NS Liberals!

And, by extension, Justin Trudeau.

Just using LPC rules…
Yes, darn Justin Trudeau for getting personally involved in the nomination affairs of the candidate selection process of Dartmouth South for the NS provincial liberal party.

Yes, darn Justin Trudeau

Darn those provincial NS Liberals!
I get it. This place can be an echo chamber when it comes to criticizing Trudeau and the Liberals, and I'm one of the loudest offenders.

Your nonchalant approach to Liberal behavior (not all the time, just most IMO) is really reminiscent of all the mess-dinosaurs who laugh about troops getting fucked around or crack jokes about people in positions of power and authority behaving poorly. I'm sure I border on being sanctimonious about this stuff, if not crossing over to it, but that whatever lol attitude really seems to be a reflection of what the LPC stands for, from the top to the bottom.

The Liberal party, whether federal or provincial, tries to sell Canadians on how progressive they are and all their gender equality virtue signaling. They're pretty successful actually in selling that image. People like yourself shrugging stuff like this off empower that behavior to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back