• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British army pulling out of Suffield

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

Big news quietly came out of the UK today as the UK defense secretary announced the intention to pull the British out of CFB Suffield.

This is an announcement that has major implications for the CAF in Alberta.

Wow. Huge. I knew this was swirling around, but wasn't expecting a full pull out.

Lot of potential but also a lot of pitfalls now that they're leaving.

Big news quietly came out of the UK today as the UK defense secretary announced the intention to pull the British out of CFB Suffield.

This is an announcement that has major implications for the CAF in Alberta.
I await the next CAF news release:

"CFB Edmonton now moving to CFB Suffield"

I await the next CAF news release:

"CFB Edmonton now moving to CFB Suffield"
With the reports that the Strats are getting all leopards concentrated with them, and 1 CMBG becoming a heavy brigade, I would not be surprised if the strats were moved to Suffield. The infrastructure is already there, so it wouldn't cost much to carry out.

With the reports that the Strats are getting all leopards concentrated with them, and 1 CMBG becoming a heavy brigade, I would not be surprised if the strats were moved to Suffield. The infrastructure is already there, so it wouldn't cost much to carry out.
So, kinda like 2 VP moving from Winnipeg to Shilo?

I'm sure it'll do wonders for retention.

Given the environmental state of Suffield, we probably can’t ever divest it. This could be a historic opportunity to reorient the army towards heavy metal manoeuvre warfare. Or it could be an expensive millstone that finally takes us all down.

How’s the cost of housing in Medicine Hat? Have we now inherited a base people both want to and can afford to live in? Or is it deeply flawed?

the base also has an active rail head, airstrip, etc... the CAF would be pretty foolish not to move assets into the base, as all the infrastructure would give room to grow, and could also allow equipment for the reserves in southern alberta to be pre-positioned for training.

What's also somewhat humorous in that article is the mention of the Brits leaving Wainwright and that base slated to close as well. Not sure where the reporters dredged that up from, but the Brits left Wainwright over a decade ago, and it ain't closing any time soon....

What's also somewhat humorous in that article is the mention of the Brits leaving Wainwright and that base slated to close as well. Not sure where the reporters dredged that up from, but the Brits left Wainwright over a decade ago, and it ain't closing any time soon....
You want actual “facts” in a Canadian newspaper article?

what’s next- “research” and “context”?

Given the environmental state of Suffield, we probably can’t ever divest it. This could be a historic opportunity to reorient the army towards heavy metal manoeuvre warfare. Or it could be an expensive millstone that finally takes us all down.

How’s the cost of housing in Medicine Hat? Have we now inherited a base people both want to and can afford to live in? Or is it deeply flawed?

Does the Defence Research Establishment still have a research facility there?

Having been to Suffield a few times the training area is barren and devoid of trees. It might be a good area for mech ops. For dismounted infantry not so much.

Sad for Suffield, but I can understand why the British are moving to clear out of the area if they wish to reorientate to a more "global" posture; after all, our corner of the world is rather quiet in comparison to the Middle East and eastern Europe.

Still, it would be good for 1 CMBG to spread out its footprint beyond Edmonton and Shilo (and Wainwright as well). Getting the Strathconas down to where they can play with a full regiment's worth of tanks would do wonders for them.

Sad for Suffield, but I can understand why the British are moving to clear out of the area if they wish to reorientate to a more "global" posture; after all, our corner of the world is rather quiet in comparison to the Middle East and eastern Europe.
The ME has the advantage as it could be used as a year round training area. Its the same reason the Germans dumped Shilo for Texas.

I would not bet against an secondary underlying political reason for the move either.

Back