• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

The RCAF has failed to scale pilot training, ACSO training, AESOp training, and air trades technical training to meet demand for decades.

Not high attrition, low production.

Still a little surprised that Boeing got cut and not Saab. The Gripen is probably a fine aircraft but worry about it being too short legged for domestic operations. I wouldn't count Saab out though it could win on cost and industrial benefits. It all depends on how the scoring is done
Without knowing the package either, we don't know if Saab has modified the design at all for the NG varient

"A contract decision is expected next year, but if the F-35 is chosen, 10 years of effort, human resources, and tax dollars will have been wasted."

too true a lot of time, effort, people and money is wasted on these big military programs for little return. As it is the procurement process is so slow that it has to be falling further behind each year on capital replacement

bah the French fart in the general direction of your flight safety rules
When an A-10 takes your antenna off at midway at the base pole - that is low -- this guy is around 20-50ft other than the touch and go - the CF-5 guy flying the road was lower, and had better music ;)

"A contract decision is expected next year, but if the F-35 is chosen, 10 years of effort, human resources, and tax dollars will have been wasted."

too true a lot of time, effort, people and money is wasted on these big military programs for little return. As it is the procurement process is so slow that it has to be falling further behind each year on capital replacement
The Cormorant says Hold My Beer...

The RCAF has failed to scale pilot training, ACSO training, AESOp training, and air trades technical training to meet demand for decades.

Not high attrition, low production.
We produced 20 fighter pilots a year in early 2010s and we’re still in the hurt locker. We just didn’t have the capacity to absorb them in the line units. If attrition beats absorption capacity, you’ll always have an issue, and production won’t solve it.

I don't think the Gripen is a terrible aircraft. Sweden produces some solid Military hardware and Sweden is a Country that's highly regarded for their Engineering prowess.

The real question is, does it meet our requirements and are the trade offs worth the cost?

Honestly, for most of the operations we do, it's completely fine. Bombing brigands in 3rd World hell holes doesn't exactly require state of the art technology.

The F35 is clearly a superior aircraft but it's not all about specs.
Just for comparison’s sake, the Gripen cannot load two GBU-31 (2,000 lb class GPS-guided weapons) with three external fuel tanks. That doesn’t include air-to-air missiles for self-defence nor a targeting pod to find those targets…. I have flown several times in anger with two 2,000 lbs weapons and a complement of Air-to-Air weapons…

Dangles the ongoing Aurora replacement project and 'hints' at Boeing's P8 as the preferred choice
  • Commits to increase the fleet size from 18 to 24-30, allowing for a better, more consistent and comprehensive patrolling of the Arctic and more roles within NATO
What replacement project? Block 4 isn’t complete yet. 140s will be turning gas into noise for another 2 decades+. With disrespect to my own fleet, the US doesn’t really take our MPA capability very serious.

If I was going to burn more YFR with MPAs I would not do it in the arctic.

Of course we don't know why Boeing's bid was dropped, but if it was a pee-pee slap for their Bombardier action (or low points for supporting Canada's economic interests), then an F-15 would suffer the same fate.

We produced 20 fighter pilots a year in early 2010s and we’re still in the hurt locker. We just didn’t have the capacity to absorb them in the line units. If attrition beats absorption capacity, you’ll always have an issue, and production won’t solve it.
Ditto for my non-fighter fleet; we’re drowning in First Officers, so much so that it’s a struggle keep them all current let alone keep them all progressing. More production would definitely exacerbate the situation.

Just for comparison’s sake, the Gripen cannot load two GBU-31 (2,000 lb class GPS-guided weapons) with three external fuel tanks. That doesn’t include air-to-air missiles for self-defence nor a targeting pod to find those targets…. I have flown several times in anger with two 2,000 lbs weapons and a complement of Air-to-Air weapons…
The F35s max take off weight is almost double the Gripen's. Breaking it down, a lot of it comes to the engine inside the Gripen, it has a lot less power then the F-35, including about 36KN less thrust.

Ditto for my non-fighter fleet; we’re drowning in First Officers, so much so that it’s a struggle keep them all current let alone keep them all progressing. More production would definitely exacerbate the situation.

logical star trek GIF

I’d love to comment on that publicly…but, I shouldn’t.
shouldn’t, or can’t…??

There’s a lot of taxpayer dollars going to them, and their ability to complete work according to timelines has a direct affect on national security and our ability to deploy aircraft.

I’m curious. As I’m sure others are too.

Back