• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CAF and Covid/ Covid Vaccine [merged]

If you aren’t vaccinated and aren’t willing to be, that’s completey your right. I’m sure you’ll find other gainful employment opportunities elsewhere if you’re one of the CAF members in this position.

That's good. Because the E I situation does not look great for the vaccine hesitant,

Frankly the government is taking the wrong approach here. Instead of emphasis on the co consequences, we really need a public awareness blitz. Get out there, get in malls, talk shows with doctors and experts, answer the questions. The only way we will combat misinformation is with facts and proper counters. We are failing there, and it just feeds the anti Vax, and vaccine hesitate camps more.

Frankly the government is taking the wrong approach here. Instead of emphasis on the co consequences, we really need a public awareness blitz. Get out there, get in malls, talk shows with doctors and experts, answer the questions. The only way we will combat misinformation is with facts and proper counters. We are failing there, and it just feeds the anti Vax, and vaccine hesitate camps more.

You'll never see an increase of vaccination rates meaningfully beyond what we have now. Those who are against vaccination in the CAF will be so regardless of how many PowerPoints and info sessions they receive. If the CAF was at 100% manning then I can support releasing the unvaccinated, now I'm not so sure. Estimates bring us 10-15k undermanned before this vaccine mandate and now it'll be even worse. No one is joining, people are releasing due to a number of factors like burnout, retirements or just simply wanting to move onto better things. Meanwhile it doesn't seem like the CAF has scaled back operations which is killing the people who are left. At this point, I don't see how losing even more people helps anyone.

With all the MS Teams meetings over the past 2 years I'd guess a lot of stuff is being recorded...
Absolutely. I'm certain it happens all the time for a variety of reasons.

I'm laughing at all these replies about the subject of how I have this, but none of the fact that your premise of "we can eradicate covid if only 100% of people get vaccinated" is wrong, as per a MO, not reddit/twitter etc where you's heard the opposite.
Babish88 since you're using the conversation of a MO as a source would you mind sharing it?

If the CAF was at 100% manning then I can support releasing the unvaccinated, now I'm not so sure. Estimates bring us 10-15k undermanned before this vaccine mandate and now it'll be even worse. No one is joining, people are releasing due to a number of factors like burnout, retirements or just simply wanting to move onto better things.

The fraction of people refusing the vaccine is rather insignificant.

I dont see how keeping people who wouldn't be allowed to travel would help either....

We keep people who aren't deployable....

The fraction of people refusing the vaccine is rather insignificant.

Some of the fractions I know are in pretty significant positions that won't be replaced easily. I'm sure the CAF totally did the risk analysis on removing these people and the affect they'll have on training and operations.... or they didn't because it's a government mandate and they have no choice.

We keep people who aren't deployable....

Some of the fractions I know are in pretty significant positions that won't be replaced easily. I'm sure the CAF totally did the risk analysis on removing these people and the affect they'll have on training and operations.... or they didn't because it's a government mandate and they have no choice.
Nobody is irreplaceable.

Nobody is irreplaceable.

If your goal is to fill positions, regardless of qualifications, experience, leadership and justification, then no, no one is irreplaceable. Waivers for various things have become normal to fill gaps for key qualifications that units lack due to manning. It's only going to get worse.

If your goal is to fill positions, regardless of qualifications, experience, leadership and justification, then no, no one is irreplaceable. Waivers for various things have become normal to fill gaps for key qualifications that units lack due to manning. It's only going to get worse.
Two things I learned in my career:

1- You can train people to do work above their level;
2- People generally rise to the challenge.

That’s why the system doesn’t fail when we are faced with shortages. Not saying the system is perfect (we need to compensate people fairly when they work at a level higher than they are supposed to, which we don’t do enough and the level of approval is far too high) but it is not on the brink of collapse yet.

Keeping unvaccinated folks that can’t travel just put further strain on the system.

You'll never see an increase of vaccination rates meaningfully beyond what we have now. Those who are against vaccination in the CAF will be so regardless of how many PowerPoints and info sessions they receive. If the CAF was at 100% manning then I can support releasing the unvaccinated, now I'm not so sure. Estimates bring us 10-15k undermanned before this vaccine mandate and now it'll be even worse. No one is joining, people are releasing due to a number of factors like burnout, retirements or just simply wanting to move onto better things. Meanwhile it doesn't seem like the CAF has scaled back operations which is killing the people who are left. At this point, I don't see how losing even more people helps anyone.
There’s an option for COs to request to retain people despite their not being vaccinated, I haven’t heard of anyone going down that route.

There’s an option for COs to request to retain people despite their not being vaccinated, I haven’t heard of anyone going down that route.
Maybe it's just the overlap between anti-vaxx and general pain in the asses is strong. Fighting city hall is only worth it when the individual isn't a soup sandwhich.

Maybe it's just the overlap between anti-vaxx and general pain in the asses is strong. Fighting city hall is only worth it when the individual isn't a soup sandwhich.
Of the 5 people that refused to vaccinate where I work. 1 received a legit accomodation. 3 are admin nightmares even before all this and 1 just quit.

You point is well taken. And you may actually be right.

Of the 5 people that refused to vaccinate where I work. 1 received a legit accomodation. 3 are admin nightmares even before all this and 1 just quit.

You point is well taken. And you may actually be right.
Out of curiosity, what was the nature of the legit accommodation?

Religious. Have no other details though.
I've read a few articles about US service mbrs arguing religious grounds, something to do with stem cells or fetus's to do with creating the vaccines. No idea if they were supported or not.

Very rare for a religious accommodation to be accepted for this, that’s surprising. None of the requests I’m aware of on those grounds have gotten the thumbs up.

Very rare for a religious accommodation to be accepted for this, that’s surprising. None of the requests I’m aware of on those grounds have gotten the thumbs up.
Yep. But it went up the proper channels. Was looked into and approved. Again I have no idea what religion or what allows for it.

Back