• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Yeah, I found a news article after I posted. Not to quibble, but you said "many". One is not many.

New Public Health Order Requires Proof Of Vaccination In Additional Venues - SK

Reading that page (and some other Sask Gov't ones) it is still not clear (to me) whether or not it applies to "liquor stores".

For one, the requirement is "vaccination or negative test". And while it starts by saying,

Proof of vaccination or a negative test will be required at point of entry to access:
  • Seated dining in all restaurants including fast food restaurants;
  • Liquor manufacturers conducting retail liquor sales; and
  • Liquor stores with an integrated permit that also hold a liquor restaurant or tavern permit.

it later states

Businesses or organizations exempt from this order includes:
  • businesses holding an integrated liquor retail store permit that do not also hold a tavern or restaurant permit issued by the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority;

Yeah, I found a news article after I posted. Not to quibble, but you said "many". One is not many.

New Public Health Order Requires Proof Of Vaccination In Additional Venues - SK

I assumed Manitoba and Alberta already had those requirements, but between all the things provinces are doing on their own I don't know who is doing what anymore. Either way, proof of vaccination for liquor stores doesn't do much when there are other ways to get liquor. Also from what I hear, the enforcement of that requirement in Sask is loosely applied and checked.

Before I left for the coast, I can confirm that yes Sask requires you to show proof of vaccination to get into a liquor store.

Reading that page (and some other Sask Gov't ones) it is still not clear (to me) whether or not it applies to "liquor stores".

For one, the requirement is "vaccination or negative test". And while it starts by saying,

it later states
It’s been a while since I lived in Sask, but I seem to recall that they have a lot of “off sale” liquor stores, which is what this is describing.

"If anywhere between a third to a half of those hospitalizations could be prevented, we would not be having a concern about our surge capacity," he said, adding the vaccine passport is necessary "not to eliminate hospitalizations, but to prevent those that are preventable."

"Right now, the numbers are scary because the rate of transmission, the rate of infection, is very high and [the] risk is to our health care system," she said. "Therefore, the risk is to everybody, and especially to vulnerable people."

Given the risk to the health care system, Ravitsky says she sees the vaccine passport as a justified limit on freedom.

"Freedom is never absolute and without limits," she said. "I don't have the freedom to drink a bottle of wine and get behind the wheel."

She called vaccine mandates “challenging” but said governments should be looking to “pull at the levers we have to increase pressure on people.” An example she cited was how new laws in Quebec now mean people are unable to enter cannabis and liquor stores unless they have gotten their COVID-19 jabs.

The province is consulting with the Minister of Finance, but Legault said $50 or $100 "is not significant" enough for him.

Its an interesting dilemma if the numbers ring true. If approx. 10% of the population is resulting in 50% of the ICU numbers, its a compelling argument to want to penalize them.

Its an interesting dilemma if the numbers ring true. If approx. 10% of the population is resulting in 50% of the ICU numbers, its a compelling argument to want to penalize them.
I wonder how significant the penalty will be. probably less than an ICU or hospital visit I would wager.

Quebec was never big on personal rights anyways, do as the Church government tells you to do or else.
Put another way, they take a more ... European approach to collective rights.

In the words of the DM in "Yes, Minister", "courageous" move on Quebec's part.

It interesting to see our take on personal liberties versus other parts of the world. We are so wrapped up in our rights we forget about societal responsibilities.
That's the balance right there, and it does play out differently in different systems, indeed.

Back