• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

I'll play slight Devil's Advocate:

If I weren't in the military, those top 3 things would make or break who I voted for. Hell, even with me being in the military, I think those are very important issues to tackle - maybe even beyond the defence budget.

If I were asked right now whether those top 3 things were more important than raising the DND budget, I'd probably agree. I'm sure that Joe Bloggins who has zero military connection would definitely agree.

Some in CAF Reddit have said (not incorrectly) that it's not just how much money, but how we spend the money we're given. If we're still wasting and/or giving back funds then what's the point of increasing funds? If procurement processes are still slow, and the same detractors for service in the CAF are still there, does it really matter if Canada goes up to 2% GDP or not?
And all of the above just supports the fact we have become a real expensive variant of Government welfare LOL

Been there, I had a MCDV Captain tell me that "based on his experience" the weather I was briefing wouldn't happen, since "the weather is usually nicer on a more southern route"... What did I know, I was just an air force Cpl?

They then proceeded to sail into the very storm I briefed them about a few days after leaving Halifax, and encountered 17m significant wave heights.

It's OK, no one listened to the Professor either ;)

gilligans island GIF

Sure. But their utility is fairly limited. And it doesn’t need to be my own.
Sure. But their utility is fairly limited. And it doesn’t need to be my own.
Snerk!
Two things, Please remind me of their limited utility when you find yourself on the ground.
Oh and the second thing...Right! Welcome to the Infantry, sir !

Snerk!
Two things, Please remind me of their limited utility when you find yourself on the ground.

I was wondering how long it was going take for this everyone's a rifleman crap to infest this thread.

Snerk!
Sorry but a 9mm with 2 mags won’t help me too much on the ground. When you read the story of folks that actually ejected over in Iraq and Kosovo, most didn’t even fire a single shot before being captured.

Those are provincial issues. Even military matters notwithstanding, they'll be reason enough for me to vote out the government. We have a constitution, respect it.

The only one I'd tolerate is temporary federal intervention in housing, because there does seem to be a housing crisis. Just like I'd support federal intervention wrt to the opioids crisis.

It sounds harsh but it's true. You have anything deeper than a superficial conversation with the average NDP voter and the communism eventually shows its face.
Only because it has evolved that way. Other than "quarantine" (federal) and "hospitals" (provincial), anything else to do with healthcare is not mentioned at all in the Constitution. As in most things, it's complicated:

To get around the perennial 'just give us the money and we'll spend how we like', I saw one analysis (which of course I can't find now) that suggested the feds may go with paying for dental services directly. If I was a dentist and aware of the massive successes of platforms like Phoenix, I'd be a little concerned.

Pharmacare in terms of a single buyer makes a lot of sense to me, simply from the perspective of buying power.. Regardless, for both, the devil will be in the details.

Only because it has evolved that way. Other than "quarantine" (federal) and "hospitals" (provincial), anything else to do with healthcare is not mentioned at all in the Constitution. As in most things, it's complicated:

To get around the perennial 'just give us the money and we'll spend how we like', I saw one analysis (which of course I can't find now) that suggested the feds may go with paying for dental services directly. If I was a dentist and aware of the massive successes of platforms like Phoenix, I'd be a little concerned.

Pharmacare in terms of a single buyer makes a lot of sense to me, simply from the perspective of buying power.. Regardless, for both, the devil will be in the details.
Because the Federal government is so good at buying things............

The UK has a had a nationalized dental program for years.

And there's even a poem about that ;)

Teeth

English Teeth, English Teeth!
Shining in the sun
A part of British heritage
Aye, each and every one.
English Teeth, Happy Teeth!
Always having fun
Clamping down on bits of fish
And sausages half done.
English Teeth! HEROES' Teeth!
Hear them click! and clack!
Let's sing a song of praise to them -
Three Cheers for the Brown Grey and Black.

Spike Milligan

Teeth Weirdo GIF

Last edited:
Sorry but a 9mm with 2 mags won’t help me too much on the ground. When you read the story of folks that actually ejected over in Iraq and Kosovo, most didn’t even fire a single shot before being captured.
I'd agree, but on the flip side, as a tech, I need both my hands when working, so a pistol or a PDW would be helpful instead of a C7. Personally I think CSS types should have C8s, or if the budget allows, a MP7 type weapon.

I'd agree, but on the flip side, as a tech, I need both my hands when working, so a pistol or a PDW would be helpful instead of a C7. Personally I think CSS types should have C8s, or if the budget allows, a MP7 type weapon.
In Afghanistan, It was a joy climbing in an out of various vehicle types to do Comms installs while getting whacked in the head with by my slung C7A2. Apparently its more crucial to have the Duty O in the TOC strapped with a 9mm they're afraid they'll ND with 🤷‍♂️

Under Liberal-NDP deal, Singh won’t oppose higher defence spending in exchange for billions on social programs​

Source - Globe and Mail
The New Democrats say they won’t stand in the way of higher military spending to confront the Russian threat as long as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau approves billions of dollars in new social programs as part of a deal to prop up the minority Liberal government until June, 2025.

Mr. Trudeau flew to Brussels on Tuesday evening for a special NATO leaders summit on Ukraine, and is under pressure from Western allies to boost defence spending significantly in the federal budget expected in April. Other NATO allies, such as Germany, Denmark and the United Kingdom, have vowed to increase spending on new weapons, equipment and fighter jets to counter Russian aggression.

Before Mr. Trudeau left for Brussels, he and NDP leader Jagmeet Singh held separate news conferences to announce the deal to keep the Liberals in power for the next three years in exchange for parliamentary co-operation and progress on key NDP policies, including an income-based dental care program, national pharmacare and issues such as housing and climate change.

The text of the agreement is silent on defence at a time when Canada is under international pressure to fulfill a long-time pledge to boost military spending to 2 per cent of its GDP, a request from NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg to counter the increasing global threat of Russian aggression.
Mr. Trudeau said the deal does not preclude increasing defence spending. Mr. Singh said his party would not block purchases of new equipment for the Canadian Armed Forces in the upcoming federal budget, provided it does not come at the expense of the billions in new social spending in areas such as health and dental care that are promised in Tuesday’s deal.

Back