• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

OR, a massive tax grab is about to be announced - cough cough - 1% flat tax on the sale of your personal residence...

More likely (and effectively- given the state of the housing market) a stiff buyers flat tax on any single family dwelling not being purchased to be the buyer's personal residence

Costs are inevitably passed on to end consumers (buyers, renters).
True, but the intent would be similar to a foreign buyers tax and create lower priced principal residences, not higher priced rentals. Would it work / how would it need to be designed? Don't know. But we already have precedent for all of
-buyer pay time of sale taxes (Land Transfer)
-buyer segmentation taxes (foreign)
-differentiation between principal residence and non (capital gains exemption)

There's a lot of space for a tax to generate and income and influence the housing market before getting to a sellers tax on principal residence.

But going way OT here

Costs are inevitably passed on to end consumers (buyers, renters).
Not when demand is elastic, such as when said demand is propped up by speculation.

Now is that the case right now? I have no idea. Are there other factors that could make me wrong? Yes. My point is just that no, as a rule, costs are not inevitably passed on to consumers. Although, generally, at least in part, and in some sectors, it may be in very large part so.

C8 should

The C8 should have been the standard small arm for all positions, less hard Cbt Arms position, where the long barrel might be useful in the 250-400m range.

I had an aviation colleague tell me with a straight face that he thought the C7 was a necessity for all aircrew, since we would “need to reach out to 600m if we ever went down.” I told him we would part ways ASAP if we ever went down, and that I’d rather stick with the SE.. part of SERE, than drawing fire and having to do the ..RE part of SERE. He thought a lot of himself as a shooter, but I don’t recall a strong correlation between PWT3 score and his self-assessment.

The only time I found a 9mm useful was in dealing with Soviet-trained locals who mentally aligned them to ‘guy with the pistol is to be listened to, while guys with rifles should stand to the side and kill about while they talked with ‘pistol guy’ .’

Or should that just be everybody gets a C8.

MG/DMR tms get 7.62.

Or should that just be everybody gets a C8.

MG/DMR tms get 7.62.
Not sure I’d go that far…because I wouldn’t want to be ‘that guy’ the same way Mr. C7-to-fight-his-way-away-from-the-crashsite, and try to tell INF/ARTY that a C8 would suffice…some might want the extra reach the C7 gives, but I think most A/B-echelon folks (and tankers) would be better off with the C8.

A glimmer of hope? From Warren Kinsella

I caught about 2 minutes of JTs speech to the EU before my gag reflex kicked in. I figured I would read about it in the funny pages. But from the tone and content - middle class, democracy, climate change - I figure he is pitching himself for some international position.

I hope it happens soon.
I’ve said before. I am convinced he won’t be running again.

Not sure I’d go that far…because I wouldn’t want to be ‘that guy’ the same way Mr. C7-to-fight-his-way-away-from-the-crashsite, and try to tell INF/ARTY that a C8 would suffice…some might want the extra reach the C7 gives, but I think most A/B-echelon folks (and tankers) would be better off with the C8.
Theoretical range.
The C8SFW 16” barrel is more than enough for any practical 5.56mm range.
Heck I shot a guy @400m with a 10.3” Mk18 - yes I brought the wrong gun, but the C8CQB in 11.5” barrel length is fine for 300m and in.
Mostly it’s troops not hitting targets - not the weapon…

Theoretical range.
Exactly. The whole “C7 massively out ranges C8” thing is a bit of an urban legend dating back to iron sights being the standard, as with an iron sighted weapon a longer sight radius does indeed help with long range accuracy. With an optic, not so much.

Exactly. The whole “C7 massively out ranges C8” thing is a bit of an urban legend dating back to iron sights being the standard, as with an iron sighted weapon a longer sight radius does indeed help with long range accuracy. With an optic, not so much.
I shot a 16” gun at CFSAC with a 1-4 S&B Short Dot and had no issues outshooting C7’s at 500m.
Other than one R22eR MWO getting angry I shot a match in sandals, and didn’t find my ‘dress of the day’ comments humorous, I won a couple of matches, which I don’t think he appreciated.

Interesting results.
I'm actually surprised there's an even split towards more taxes for defence spending. This is more support than I expected.

As well as greater support for increased defence spending (45%) than social spending (39%).

Interesting results.
Because a tax increase would only be need for Defence increases, not the bazillions of dollars for universal pharmacies and dental care… 🙄

Another crap survey set up to bias the answer from the outset…Canadians deserve everything they’re not going to get…

I thought the tankers already used C8's?

Individually, but what's the section range. The range where a section can hit a target (or is that not a thing anymore). I'm fairly confident that the C7 one is longer by a significant amount. Isn't that a useful metric considering you don't attack a position by yourself?

edit: of course I prefer a C8 myself, range really isn't an issue onboard ship!

I thought the tankers already used C8's?
They do, I just wouldn’t want to be part of any implied support to forcing C7 on all orgs who should have the C8 pulled and given the C7 back again (to wit Armour, which I agree should retain the C8).

Back