• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best posting for experience?

Kosmas

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to go into the military police trade and wondering where the best posting would be. I am aiming to gain experience, so that in the future if I do want to leave the CAF (unlikely) I will qualify as an experienced police officer. Thank you

Hello, I am looking to go into the military police trade and wondering where the best posting would be. I am aiming to gain experience, so that in the future if I do want to leave the CAF (unlikely) I will qualify as an experienced police officer. Thank you
Petawawa or Esquimalt. Large PMQ patches to patrol, endless amounts of drunken shenanigans from sailors and infanteers.... You'll find a way to keep yourself busy 😆

Petawawa or Esquimalt. Large PMQ patches to patrol, endless amounts of drunken shenanigans from sailors and infanteers.... You'll find a way to keep yourself busy 😆
I've heard a lot of people refer to Petawawa as the wild west. What are the chances that if I select those three as my preference that I will go to those places? I was told that if I write places that are far apart from each other, they think I don't care about where I am placed but if I choose three locations near each other I would have a higher chance being placed around there, is this true?

1. Affordable.
2. Plenty of housing.
3. Close to humanity.

Can only have two when it comes to posting choices.
Thanks for the reply, I thought it was three, good to know. So Petawawa and Esquimalt would be a good choice for police experience?

I've heard a lot of people refer to Petawawa as the wild west. What are the chances that if I select those three as my preference that I will go to those places?
Needs of the service/trade will dictate where you go.

I was told that if I write places that are far apart from each other, they think I don't care about where I am placed but if I choose three locations near each other I would have a higher chance being placed around there, is this true?
No

Pick your three spots -- it doesn't matter what they are or where they are.
If there are openings in any of them they will try to give you your preferences -- but if there are not openings - it doesn't matter where you picked - because you are going to be sent where needed.

Needs of the service/trade will dictate where you go.

No

Pick your three spots -- it doesn't matter what they are or where they are.
If there are openings in any of them they will try to give you your preferences -- but if there are not openings - it doesn't matter where you picked - because you are going to be sent where needed.
I see, thanks for the information!

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was three, good to know. So Petawawa and Esquimalt would be a good choice for police experience?

Depends on what type of experience you are looking for. From what I've seen over my years, MPs patrol the PMQ patch and are snarky about their speed limits, but I'm highly bias from my sheltered Air Force life. Do take into account your off-duty life as well, it's not always about the job, you want to be around other, non-military, people if you can.

Depends on what type of experience you are looking for. From what I've seen over my years, MPs patrol the PMQ patch and are snarky about their speed limits, but I'm highly bias from my sheltered Air Force life. Do take into account your off-duty life as well, it's not always about the job, you want to be around other, non-military, people if you can.
Yea, I wanted to gain experience that would allow me to transfer to other forces if I wished to do so. For instance, transferring to RCMP or municipal policing.

Yea, I wanted to gain experience that would allow me to transfer to other forces if I wished to do so. For instance, transferring to RCMP or municipal policing.
FWIW it won’t.
You will still required to go through whatever Police College/Depot that the hiring force puts on. Unless it changes recently non of the Canadian LEA’s view MP training as a reasonable hand draw facsimile of their curriculum.

FWIW it won’t.
You will still required to go through whatever Police College/Depot that the hiring force puts on. Unless it changes recently non of the Canadian LEA’s view MP training as a reasonable hand draw facsimile of their curriculum.
Well by experience I mean transferable experience. Like I know with MPO it's mainly desk job but with MP, you have a chance to get actual experience depending on the posting. I know that I may not get in as an experienced officer, but having experience helps.

Well by experience I mean transferable experience. Like I know with MPO it's mainly desk job but with MP, you have a chance to get actual experience depending on the posting. I know that I may not get in as an experienced officer, but having experience helps.
Of the former CAF guys that have become LE for a second career, nearly all are Infantry or CANSOF.

If you are thinking about a civilian policing job later - becoming an MP isn’t the best way.

Kosmas, you may have seen this.

The information is dated, but you may find it of general interest,

12 pages.

Of the former CAF guys that have become LE for a second career, nearly all are Infantry or CANSOF.

If you are thinking about a civilian policing job later - becoming an MP isn’t the best way.
Not necessarily the case. My recruit class had two PRes Infantry, a PRes combat engineer, a RegF combat engineer, a RegF Intelligence Officer, and a PRes Logistics Officer. I know police who were medics, intelligence, signals, boatswain, airborne electronic sensor operator… So yeah. Police services in Canada aren’t looking at veterans for the run and gun skills, but rather for a lot of other things.

FWIW it won’t.
This is out of date. Plenty of MPs coming in as laterals. Different services expect different levels of training, it a qualified MP who has gone on to do whatever their QL5 course is called now should be able to lateral if they’re competitive enough.

If you’re willing to go anywhere CAF might send you, have you considered simply putting in the application to RCMP or OPP as well?

Don’t say ‘no’ to yourself. Take the best shot you can at it. Make someone else say ‘no’. Maybe they won’t.

Not necessarily the case. My recruit class had two PRes Infantry, a PRes combat engineer, a RegF combat engineer, a RegF Intelligence Officer, and a PRes Logistics Officer. I know police who were medics, intelligence, signals, boatswain, airborne electronic sensor operator… So yeah. Police services in Canada aren’t looking at veterans for the run and gun skills, but rather for a lot of other things.
Roger my point was I didn’t see being an MP an advantage over any other trade.
This is out of date. Plenty of MPs coming in as laterals. Different services expect different levels of training, it a qualified MP who has gone on to do whatever their QL5 course is called now should be able to lateral if they’re competitive enough.
Interesting, several years ago I knew a few MP’s that had to start at ground zero.
If you’re willing to go anywhere CAF might send you, have you considered simply putting in the application to RCMP or OPP as well?

Don’t say ‘no’ to yourself. Take the best shot you can at it. Make someone else say ‘no’. Maybe they won’t.
100%

In thirty-one years with the OPP, I worked with or generally knew a number of former CAF members who came from all sorts of areas. A couple were MPs but it certainly wasn't predominant.

It is a condition to be a police officer in Ontario that you graduate the Ontario Police College. There is provision for that to be waived along with the standard probationary period for 'previous police training' from another province or territory. I knew some members who patched over from the RCMP but never asked them if they had to go to OPC. I don't know if MP 'schoolin' would be included or if it has ever happened.

There is a process for hiring experienced members of other Ontario police services, but they have already been to OPC. Not counting members from absorbed police services (which has its own process), off the top of my head I can only recall a handful of members who were taken on - from anybody - at anything other than the rank of constable.

Yes, I also plan to apply to both RCMP and OPP as well alongside my MP application. The only reason I have not applied yet is because I am waiting to graduate in June, so I qualify for the position. I know it does not hurt to apply, so I am applying to all three. Ideally, I get RCMP because I see a lot of opportunities there and growth and then maybe transfer to OPP down the line.

Kosmas, you may have seen this.

The information is dated, but you may find it of general interest,

12 pages.
Thanks for this, I will read through it.

Yes, I also plan to apply to both RCMP and OPP as well alongside my MP application. The only reason I have not applied yet is because I am waiting to graduate in June, so I qualify for the position. I know it does not hurt to apply, so I am applying to all three. Ideally, I get RCMP because I see a lot of opportunities there and growth and then maybe transfer to OPP down the line.
Graduate what? High school? College? University?

Back