• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck

Every section dismount issued a replacement battery cell to carry along with their other gear....

:cool:

Camping Season 5 GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Begs the question what contracts are they eyeing? LVM? ERC? the milcot/G-Wagon replacement? If they set up production lines in canada, they may have a leg up scoring contracts.

Begs the question what contracts are they eyeing? LVM? ERC? the milcot/G-Wagon replacement? If they set up production lines in canada, they may have a leg up scoring contracts.
This is a brilliant move if they do.

GM Defense's immediate goal is to win the Canadian Armed Forces' Light Utility Vehicle (LUV) contract. The new LUV's will replace the CAF's current fleet of Mercedes G-Wagons (Geländewagen) and Militarized Commercial Off-The-Shelf (MilCOTS) Chevrolet Silverados, which have been in service since 2003.

y8ozJyC.jpg

dI5KymG.jpg

XjulJWk.jpg

UKmzvYR.jpg

Mqmz9PL.jpg

I was an infantryman my entire career and once they start loading these things up they will bend in half. The Canadian Army is well known for carrying extraneous shit "because the troops might need it". It is the same with rucksacks "the troops can carry more crap now".

I was an infantryman my entire career and once they start loading these things up they will bend in half. The Canadian Army is well known for carrying extraneous shit "because the troops might need it". It is the same with rucksacks "the troops can carry more crap now".
Actually you generally run out of space on the ISV before any significant issues.
The way the seating is setup one cannot place any major loads.

Based on the ZR2 off-road version the frame and suspension is pretty stout.

Would be nice if we ordered 1,000 of the 4x4 versions, so we can have a real tactical truck.
Yes could be good for the CAF. They seem to like German vehicles. So you get a GM built truck of Germany design. This would help the service supply chain as the US will want the crazy German bits replaced with NA supplied parts.

Just thinking about this. So they take a VW truck. MAN is a Traton company. Traton is the VW commercial truck business of VW. This includes VW trucks, Scania, Navistar, International and MAN. Put in it a JV with Rheinmetall then sent it to American Rheinmetall to JV with the new GM Defense LLC. And people wonder why defence procurement is so expensive.

Its is even worse in Canada add whole another layer on top.

I’ve said it before (probably not here) and I’ll say it again. Whatever we will get as a main fleet, we will always need a “Jeep”. We need something that is light weight, stealthy, rugged, easy to maintain with an already existing supply chain, really built for off road (no IFS), big enough for 3-4 people and their 48 hrs days of supplies and not a pickup. That doesn’t live us with a tonne of commercial ready options. That leaves Toyota Troopy, Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Patrol, or the Grenadier unless I miss one.

I’ve said it before (probably not here) and I’ll say it again. Whatever we will get as a main fleet, we will always need a “Jeep”. We need something that is light weight, stealthy, rugged, easy to maintain with an already existing supply chain, really built for off road (no IFS), big enough for 3-4 people and their 48 hrs days of supplies and not a pickup. That doesn’t live us with a tonne of commercial ready options. That leaves Toyota Troopy, Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Patrol, or the Grenadier unless I miss one.
Really none of those. The Jeep, Bronco etc are all really street off roaders. The Jeep of today is more the Polaris, GM ISV etc.

The LSVW was perfectly fine....😄

Back