• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian paratrooper under investigation for living his best life during a jump

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
And when you're just hanging around . . .

Canadian paratrooper under investigation for living his best life during a jump​

You’re in a parachute harness, floating in the sky over a lake somewhere in Canada, what else is there to do other than crack open a can of beer?

Apparently, the Canadian government takes issue with this.

A beard rocking, beer drinking Canadian paratrooper is apparently under investigation for sipping on a can of Miller Light during a jump.

Last Friday, a video began to circulate on social media of a Canadian Army paratrooper using his couple of minutes of aerial solitude to sip on some light beer and take in the great views of Canada’s Ontario province.

The video starts with the paratrooper’s chute open, and him floating above Petawawa, Ontario. The soldier cracks open the can of light beer and laments, simply, “the government.” He pauses, gives the viewers a nice look at the ground around him, and takes another sip.

Needless to say, the video was popular. From the beard, to the choice of beer to the simple joy in the pure, unadulterated not giving a fuck nature of the video — we’ve all been there, right?

Actions have consequences, though.

Dan Le Bouthillier, a spokesperson for Canada’s Department of National Defense, told the Ottawa Citizen that the soldier was assigned to the Quebec-based Royal 22nd Regiment and added that this beer aficionado had apparently left the Canadian Army on September 1. Still, as Le Bouthillier said, “A unit investigation has been initiated.”

The reaction online has been decidedly in this soldier’s favor. And after all, drinking a Miller Light is essentially the same thing as hydrating.

This of course begs the question: what would your drink be for a parachute jump?

Others report the member is now out, and was only released after he got out. Now you can be charged for service offenses that occurred before you left, but it may come down to if it would be worth it.

Others report the member is now out, and was only released after he got out. Now you can be charged for service offenses that occurred before you left, but it may come down to if it would be worth it.
I am certain the DJAG will chalk this one up to "not in the public interest" to pursue charges.

Even if it's the right thing to do, the CAF would be flayed in the court of public opinion; especially with the "GOFO's behaving badly" record we have lately

I am certain the DJAG will chalk this one up to "not in the public interest" to pursue charges.

Even if it's the right thing to do, the CAF would be flayed in the court of public opinion; especially with the "GOFO's behaving badly" record we have lately
I'll bet this results in amendments to the "Training Safety" manual or the release of a sternly worded PARABEERFORGEN.

Yeah, but that would just add to the mentality that you can do whatever you want and their are no consequences. Could you imagine the things we could start seeing from being about to release.

Yeah, but that would just add to the mentality that you can do whatever you want and their are no consequences. Could you imagine the things we could start seeing from being about to release.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Perhaps the soldier was making a statement…if my commanding general can shag a regimental corporal to stay warm on a winter ex, is a beer on the way down really so bad? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Perhaps, perhaps not. Perhaps the soldier was making a statement…if my commanding general can shag a regimental corporal to stay warm on a winter ex, is a beer on the way down really so bad? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Although this may be misconstrued as sending an adverse message, I suspect that this video and the associated views has raised the CAF profile more than most recruiting efforts in the past six months combined. Just sayin.

Although this may be misconstrued as sending an adverse message, I suspect that this video and the associated views has raised the CAF profile more than most recruiting efforts in the past six months combined. Just sayin.

It's also proof that our new dress/hair regs are having the intended effect of making our troops look alot like kids at a skateboard park ;)

Right?? Like men in skirts with purple hair and face piercings on parade! Where does it end?? :cool:

And thinking more about this......

That begot this:
1663348057675.png

As I have read before a few times on this board today's working or battle dress is tomorrow's Class A Dress Uniform

So in a hundred years we are going to have formal sweats and hoodie's or Lulumon's? Hair will be dyed to regulation Blue and Purple Colour number 5.

Right?? Like men in skirts with purple hair and face piercings on parade! Where does it end?? :cool:
No face piercings allowed, just ears.

So in a hundred years we are going to have formal sweats and hoodie's or Lulumon's? Hair will be dyed to regulation Blue and Purple Colour number 5.
I am unabashedly a fan of Lululemon.

Their men's activewear is amazing - a foreign military colleague who's in their equiv of CISM raved about it so much that I tried wearing their stuff, and I'm never going back to anything else - and their "ath-leisure" (term I heard from a friend) looks good enough to be worn at the office.

I am almost certain that if you look at "business casual" offices or NCR on Fridays, people are wearing Lululemon polo shirts and/or slacks. They look no different than khakis and standard office wear, just in better fabric.

RCafe had a post a while back about contracting Lululemon for PT gear. It wasn't the right forum for it since it's not something that RCAF has direct control over, but I thought that wasn't the worst idea.

But to get back to your point: I would not be heartbroken if we had Lululemon polo shirts with velcro for name and rank (similar to what the French Navy already does) and slacks for office work to replace DEU 3B.

Edit to add: Relevant Terminal Lance strip.

1663450334797.png

No face piercings allowed, just ears.

Their men's activewear is amazing - a foreign military colleague who's in their equiv of CISM raved about it so much that I tried wearing their stuff, and I'm never going back to anything else - and their "ath-leisure" (term I heard from a friend) looks good enough to be worn at the office.

I am almost certain that if you look at "business casual" offices or NCR on Fridays, people are wearing Lululemon polo shirts and/or slacks. They look no different than khakis and standard office wear, just in better fabric.

RCafe had a post a while back about contracting Lululemon for PT gear. It wasn't the right forum for it since it's not something that RCAF has direct control over, but I thought that wasn't the worst idea.

But to get back to your point: I would not be heartbroken if we had Lululemon polo shirts with velcro for name and rank (similar to what the French Navy already does) and slacks for office work to replace DEU 3B.

Edit to add: Relevant Terminal Lance strip.

View attachment 73621
Yet.

Yes, and I personally don't see a problem with someone with a nose stud. This isn't a new fad.

I live in Ottawa and it's so common that I don't even really bat an eye when I see it. It'll be like everything else - take it off for operational or safety reasons.

But you're not a fat chick ;)

I have been told by reliable sources that "Lululemon doesn't fit if you're bigger than a B cup".

Back