• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Unfortunately true, my youngest had planned to move to Halifax as, at least there she had enough for a down payment, but then that area exploded just before she got there.

Sadly, an hour out of HRM is selling higher as well. We bought last year for our IRP.

My next door neighbor's house sold for $179,000 in 2015, and it just went for $430,000 with an asking price of $330,000 in the Annapolis Valley, NS.

It's pretty bad in a lot of places in Nova Scotia.

In Fairview, a Halifax neighborhood with not the best reputation, a half a duplex with no front yard went on the market for 300K and the next day they had 31 showings and 13 offers and it sold for 520K.

According to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the average residential rent for a two-bedroom apartment was $1,120 in 2021. The average monthly mortgage payment on a $259,700 home was $1,358 in 2022, down from $1,393 a month in 2022. The CMHC also reported that the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in a large Canadian city was $903 in 2022.
Not sure where you find those prices and rents here. Two bedroom apartments fetch about $1700 here. Even in 2001 my house was $335,000

Not sure where you find those prices and rents here. Two bedroom apartments fetch about $1700 here. Even in 2001 my house was $335,000
If CMHC is using national numbers, smaller communities across the country will skew the numbers. There are all sorts of towns in northern Ontario that average under $300K, some around $100K. Not individually huge in numbers compared to the GTA, but probably repeatable across the country.

Saw this in the local news,

"Alberta is calling".

They seem to be pushing the cheap cost of housing in Alberta.

Jason Kenney counts down to the end of his leadership with an odd appearance in a Toronto subway.​

The ads seem to be targeting young urbanites from the GTA and Vancouver.

I wonder if they will have an impact on Alberta voting ( municipal, provincial and federal ).

The ads seem to be targeting young urbanites from the GTA and Vancouver.

I wonder if they will have an impact on Alberta voting ( municipal, provincial and federal ).
Good point. How would they handle an influx of young urban leftists. More importantly, how many Starbucks does Alberta have - there might be an accommodation problem.

Good point. How would they handle an influx of young urban leftists. More importantly, how many Starbucks does Alberta have - there might be an accommodation problem.
Young urban leftists want locally owned, locally roasted fair trade coffee with ethically sourced vegan scones, none of the Starbucks corporate BS.

Please.

Back