• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

The Royal Navy has had a similar capability for over 60 years and the UK team was able to provide expert knowledge and advice about the new equipment – from myriad operational uses to technical repairs.

Game changer? Ground breaking? I like their enthusiasm but that's a bit much, lets save the superlatives for when it's more appropriate.

If their bar is that low have I got a floating box with a motor for you; now with LEDs for ground effects!

Nice to see the RCN has caught up to the mid 20th Century.

Plus Combat Engineers laugh in your general direction
medium_raft_2.jpg

Game changer? Ground breaking? I like their enthusiasm but that's a bit much, lets save the superlatives for when it's more appropriate.

If their bar is that low have I got a floating box with a motor for you; now with LEDs for ground effects!

Unfortunately I don't have sound available. Did it say how long it takes to put it together ? Or the draught ?

Unfortunately I don't have sound available. Did it say how long it takes to put it together ? Or the draught ?
No, there is just generic rock music.

I imagine doing it from JSS with waves will take longer, but is pretty handy once you get it put together (a day?). Curious to see how it will work IRL though; we changed the cranes around on JSS from the Berlin class setup so won't be as easy as with the jetty crane in a sheltered harbour.

It's nothing new, and the fact that it goes into standard 20' sea containers is great for only needing it onboard for a mission packup, but for something like HADR it's going to be incredibly useful. It has much more capacity compared to the old whaler, but doesn't take up a huge chunk of real estate all the time. only really a 'game changer' for the RCN though.

No, there is just generic rock music.

I imagine doing it from JSS with waves will take longer, but is pretty handy once you get it put together (a day?). Curious to see how it will work IRL though; we changed the cranes around on JSS from the Berlin class setup so won't be as easy as with the jetty crane in a sheltered harbour.

It's nothing new, and the fact that it goes into standard 20' sea containers is great for only needing it onboard for a mission packup, but for something like HADR it's going to be incredibly useful. It has much more capacity compared to the old whaler, but doesn't take up a huge chunk of real estate all the time. only really a 'game changer' for the RCN though.
Are they much different from the Mexeflotes used by the RN?

Are they much different from the Mexeflotes used by the RN?
One difference is it is carried as ISO containers. So it probably fits in with the logistics of the JSS rather than landing crafts hanging on side of the Ship.

Game changer for the RCN for sure, groundbreaking might be a little much. There is a lot of stuff that this can be used for, particularly if you consider it can be employed as a persistant floating platform. Salvage and recovery operations, mine warfare, diving operations, ship repair functions, floating jetty, party barge (lol). And then you add the ship to shore connnector capabilities.

This is something the RCN has never had, so its interesting to see how the sailors are already looking at ways to take advantage with what is essentially a modular and portable barge. There was some discussion on it at the seminar I was at today, the sailors are certainly having fun with it and enjoying learning to employ it. And that's a huge win in my book.

Game changer for the RCN for sure, groundbreaking might be a little much. There is a lot of stuff that this can be used for, particularly if you consider it can be employed as a persistant floating platform. Salvage and recovery operations, mine warfare, diving operations, ship repair functions, floating jetty, party barge (lol). And then you add the ship to shore connnector capabilities.

This is something the RCN has never had, so its interesting to see how the sailors are already looking at ways to take advantage with what is essentially a modular and portable barge. There was some discussion on it at the seminar I was at today, the sailors are certainly having fun with it and enjoying learning to employ it. And that's a huge win in my book.
It will make painting the hull much easier. Put some scaffolding up and you have a great platform.

How hard can painting a ship be? Get some grey paint, a roller, and a long stick. Voila.
Visiting the navy base at Bremberton, two guys on a raft, painting the side of an aircraft carrier with rollers. I had to wonder what they did wrong to get that job.

How hard can painting a ship be? Get some grey paint, a roller, and a long stick. Voila.
I'm told that the real test of a naval officers not sea command exams ... it is simpler. He must stand in front of a wife, in December, and say, "Look, dear, I'm sorry, but we cannot paint ship in Halifax in winter. We must go the Caribbean; there's, not other way ... we all hate it, but that's how it must be."

Back