• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No more uniforms in court

I'd go down to Two Finger Tommy's Tuxedo Emporium and rent the most godawful powder blue 70s tux and then submit for reimbursement. Standards need to be maintained.

Nothing says you have to wear a suit to court. If someone is a criminal accused, why is that CAF’s problem to pay for your choice of clothing?
If I'm ordered to court as an attending officer, why should I be out of pocket for civilian clothes? We literally have a civilian clothing allowance system for a reason.

"Just buy these collar dogs, it's part of your military factor."

You're on duty and have to wear civilian clothing so the CAF is providing suits at government expense?
If you read the article it says “unless you’re there for military purposes
The Canforgen says appropriate civilian attire unless you’re testifying on behalf of the CAF.

If you read the article it says “unless you’re there for military purposes”
I believe AOs are required to wear civilian clothing. CAF members called as witnesses or something else that excapes me can wear uniforms.

CAF members will also be banned from wearing their medals in court, regardless of the reason for their presence.
I wonder if this means ribbons not medals to be worn, or neither.

I'd go down to Two Finger Tommy's Tuxedo Emporium and rent the most godawful powder blue 70s tux and then submit for reimbursement. Standards need to be maintained.

So you used to be an MP and received civilian clothing allowance? Because that's how they dress .

Sweet, now I'm free to wear my own pseudo military kit with fake medals, and perhaps a parrot, cap and tricorn. It's not a weapon sir, it's a religious accomodation as I identify as pirate, that saber is part of my firmly held beliefs!

Well done on the GOFOs at leading change again! Next step, leading positive changes, not driven by f*%$ng up.

If I'm ordered to court as an attending officer, why should I be out of pocket for civilian clothes? We literally have a civilian clothing allowance system for a reason.

When do you need a suit as an AO?

The CAF is a joke at this point. I want to see someone go against this just for LOLz.
They totally can - if supported by their CoC as per the article.

The interesting part (again, as per article) is that this new policy apparently puts the CAF in line with police forces and other militaries.

Oh, for an AO, sure- if their duties require civilian clothes, yeah, pay the casual allowance for whatever it’s called. Though I would hope that any assisting officer would have at least some sort of appropriate civilian clothing. It’s not like they’re going on the stand.

How is it enforceable to ban medals? The CAF does not own the medals, unlike the uniform.
Court is invariably on weekdays, during normal duty hours for most CAF members. Last I checked, CAF gets to prescribe your order of dress. I’ve been out a couple of years but is that not still the case? In any event, why would you wear medals to your own criminal trial other than to try to influence the court or jury with shinies? CAF is fully in the right to prohibit this, as it looks like an accused leveraging military status for leniency.

They totally can - if supported by their CoC as per the article.

The interesting part (again, as per article) is that this new policy apparently puts the CAF in line with police forces and other militaries.

Bloody right. Any of us on trial for alleged offences will not be wearing a police uniform to our trial. Testifying as a witness? Sure, might be in uniform, might be in a suit, usually depends on what our normal duties are that day before and after court. If I’m on a 0600-1800 shift on the road and I’m a trial witness at 10, I’m probably there in uniform. If my normal job is plainclothes, I’m likely there in that.

At the end of the day, why WOULD a CAF member be permitted to wear their uniform to civil court as the accused in a criminal trial? CAF absolutely has the right to prohibit that and to protect its image.

Oh, for an AO, sure- if their duties require civilian clothes, yeah, pay the casual allowance for whatever it’s called. Though I would hope that any assisting officer would have at least some sort of appropriate civilian clothing. It’s not like they’re going on the stand.

Court is invariably on weekdays, during normal duty hours for most CAF members. Last I checked, CAF gets to prescribe your order of dress. I’ve been out a couple of years but is that not still the case? In any event, why would you wear medals to your own criminal trial other than to try to influence the court or jury with shinies? CAF is fully in the right to prohibit this, as it looks like an accused leveraging military status for leniency.

Bloody right. Any of us on trial for alleged offences will not be wearing a police uniform to our trial. Testifying as a witness? Sure, might be in uniform, might be in a suit, usually depends on what our normal duties are that day before and after court. If I’m on a 0600-1800 shift on the road and I’m a trial witness at 10, I’m probably there in uniform. If my normal job is plainclothes, I’m likely there in that.
What happens if they are a Reservist? Duhduhduh!

The CAF going to pay them to not wear medals 😁

Who said anything about leniency?

Did Mark Norman wear his medals for leniency? You're talking about sentencing dude, not the actual trial itself.

Back