• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In defence of Lady Susan Hussey

If I dress like I'm from Newfoundland I'd be expecting to be asked what part of Newfoundland I was from.....sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

NO ONE, no matter how outraged you are or are not, was privy to that conversation.

Therefore you are convicting, or aquitting, on hearsay.....grow up, get a life, and carry on with your wonderful day.
I agree with this…but as an aggravating factor, but not the core reason for the exchange’s direction…

I've run into this attitude quite a bit. Worked in 4 person section. Two obvious white guys, one guy who looked like a tanned white guy but had a Slavic last name, and one obvious Sikh. Three of us never got asked where we were from, one did. Guess who. The ironic thing is the Sikh was born in Mississauga. The other three of us were born overseas. Was funny at first but got old pretty quick.

In today's society, anyone who is in still asking about origin and doesn't understand that people can be from anywhere harbours rascism somewhere in themselves.

Age doesn't excuse ignorant behaviour. It should be corrected on the spot and it the correction doesn't take more measures should be taken. As is the case here.

I've taken to asking if someone was born in the town I'm in, or if they moved here from somewhere else in the province. That allows them to answer how they want.

I've taken to asking if someone was born in the town I'm in, or if they moved here from somewhere else in the province. That allows them to answer how they want.

My go to is "Where is home for you? And I don't mean where you store His Majesty's kit..."

It usually will illicit a laugh and a response they're comfortable with. Be that Mississauga, Ste. Poutaine de Caliss Quebec, Rwanda, Korea, or "wherever I lay my hat."

Let’s take the alleged transcript at face value…I think it progressed thusly using a stoplight scheme:

That’s some Prince Philip calibre ‘old school’ ignorance and societally-ingrained class racism getting into the red-deep red zone…
Well broken down re: turnoffs the conversation could have taken.

NO ONE, no matter how outraged you are or are not, was privy to that conversation.

An eyewitness to the conversation, Mandu Reid, told BBC News that Lady Hussey's questions had been "offensive, racist and unwelcoming".

Statement from Buckingham Palace.

In its statement, Buckingham Palace said: "We take this incident extremely seriously and have investigated immediately to establish the full details.
"In this instance, unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments have been made.

To go back to the OP and the 'defence' of the (now former) member of the Royal Household, the main premise of the author is (to sarcastically paraphrase her) that she's a set in her ways, old woman who should be excused because she was brought up that way in a different age. Horseshit.
"Ha, ha, ha. Goofy old Joe!"

I suppose the rules are different for some people.

There is a lot of assumptions in that statement. When I get asked where I’m from as a white guy, it’s where I’m from in Canada (SW Manitoba farm) and when I ask somebody in the CAF where they’re from (regardless of colour of skin) it’s because 99% are not working and living in the place they were born and raised.
Folks should not make assumptions, as in assuming the asker is questioning their legitimacy as a Canadian or that the person being questioned is assuming the questioner is a racist pig for just being curious.
I stumbled into something similar a number of years ago; quite innocently I assure you. I was at a work related social function and met a young Black member (stunningly beautiful if it matters) and innocently asked her where she was from. Statistically, most members of the OPP are from somewhere in Ontario, and that's what I meant. She replied with a rather cold 'what do you mean?' which I immediately realized how she had taken the question. I said 'well, I'm from Willowdale' and her demeanour immediately softened and she said 'Brampton'. I guess I haven't had to got through life being constantly on guard.

Keep in mind sometimes the “offended “ parties are just as racist as the one they call out.

I’ve seen it.

I’m not excusing this woman’s behaviour. She should learn from this.

A few years back I was somewhere and we did Yoga for group PT. We actually had someone complain that it was cultural appropriation.

I'm def going to use this to my benefit the next time someone suggests I try yoga. Any way we can link veganism and cross fit to some form of cultural appropriation ?

I'm def going to use this to my benefit the next time someone suggests I try yoga. Any way we can link veganism and cross fit to some form of cultural appropriation ?
Yoga (or as PSP calls it "mobility class") is not a bad thing though. Most of us are not flexible at all and a session to limber up would probably do some good.

One of the group PT sessions I went to was "mobility". The burly hockey players thought it would be easy and were laughing that it was "a waste of time". They were pretty much crying by the end of it and started going to those sessions regularly afterwards.

The entire history of humanity so far has involved cross-pollination of cultures. Nothing but belly laughs for "cultural appropriation" whiners.

Yoga (or as PSP calls it "mobility class") is not a bad thing though. Most of us are not flexible at all and a session to limber up would probably do some good.

One of the group PT sessions I went to was "mobility". The burly hockey players thought it would be easy and were laughing that it was "a waste of time". They were pretty much crying by the end of it and started going to those sessions regularly afterwards.

You're absolutely correct. And I put it and spin class in the position the least enjoyable fitness things I've done.

Can confirm ;)

The mobility stuff does alot to prevent injuries too.

‘Shavasana’ is the best position in yoga IMO.

Some might prefer another.

jada pinkett smith GIF by Red Table Talk

lol, that's one position I can get into (aka the corpse pose) but is genuinely a good cool down/meditative pose. Outside of yoga, use that as part of general anti-insomnia exercise.

Really difficult to think about nothing, but if I'm going ot be awake, at least I'll be calmer about it.

I ask people because I am fascinated by their stories and how their families came to be. Generally if regardless of the colour they have a Canadian accent, I assume they are born her, but someone with a distinct accent is safe bet to guess they or their parent immigrated. In fact i am a minority here in Vancouver as I was actually born here, most of the immigrants are stunned to find that out, and say I am the first person my age they met, born in Vancouver.

Back