• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

I like how they have a hopeful little 'help wanted' ad at the end ;)

We’re seeking qualified candidates for both police officer and civilian positions. Thinking about a career in public service? Join VicPD and help us make Victoria and Esquimalt a safer community together.

Should have had something to lead into it like "If you too want to get smacked around by the public only to see them walk before you finish your report, call 250-HIT-FACE to consult our recruiters".

Should have had something to lead into it like "If you too want to get smacked around by the public only to see them walk before you finish your report, call 250-HIT-FACE to consult our recruiters".
If Vic is anything like Winnipeg the bad guys get to walk with a Promise to Appear - even in serious cases.

Woman Arrested After Obstructing Paramedics, Assaulting Officer​

I don't know what the law is - or if there is one - regarding obstruction of paramedics in Canada.

Looks like "obstructing" paramedics is a Class A misdemeanor in many ( all? ) U.S. states.

New York State 195.16
Obstructing emergency medical services is a Class A misdemeanor.

Maybe it was a concerned taxpayer who was tired of resources being wasted on the same issues?

Maybe it was a concerned taxpayer who was tired of resources being wasted on the same issues?

Maybe. But, as "a concerned taxpayer" myself, I would be more concerned with the financial liability of paramedics refusing 9-1-1 calls.

In my town, paramedics simply delaying service to a 9-1-1 call cost city taxpayers $10 million.

We had no control. Tones go off. Door goes up. Wheels rolling in 60 seconds.

Usually a "concerned citizen" calls it in the first place.

I don't know what the law is - or if there is one - regarding obstruction of paramedics in Canada.

Looks like "obstructing" paramedics is a Class A misdemeanor in many ( all? ) U.S. states.

New York State 195.16
There’s no specific law for that. But you better believe if police are on scene and you’re obstructing the paramedics we’ll sort you the fuck out right ricky-tick. There will definitely be some offense we can articulate.

PP appears to test the waters, walks towards a form of re-institutionalization.

Looking forward to read more on this. This is exactly the sort of thing I believe the federal government should work on.

New York State 195.16

There’s no specific law for that. But you better believe if police are on scene and you’re obstructing the paramedics we’ll sort you the fuck out right ricky-tick. There will definitely be some offense we can articulate.
I thought there was as a result of recent CC amendments to include "health professionals" in a new 423.2 (Intimidation). Alas, paramedics aren't defined as 'health professionals' in Ontario because they aren't regulated by a 'college'.

Alas, paramedics aren't defined as 'health professionals' in Ontario because they aren't regulated by a 'college'.

After I retired, the members of our department overwelming voted NO to a regulatory college for five reasons.

1. Regulatory colleges are not teaching colleges. Rather they set the criteria for professional certification and investigate complaints from the public and discipline college members regarding issues such as professional incompetence, professional misconduct, and sexual impropriety.

2. Certification under a college model often shifts the blame for systemic problems in the workplace to the individual worker and removes government accountability for policies and funding decisions that have direct bearing on issues, incidences and the investigation of a worker.

3. The disciplinary functions of regulatory colleges impose an additional and unnecessary level of oversight and discipline above what is already in place under employer policy, legislation and freely negotiated collective agreements.

4. Mandatory fees to a college pose a financial burden and create a barrier for workers who are required to pay fees out-of-pocket to maintain their license/certification to practice. In Alberta paramedics pay $600 a year to the regulatory college.

5. Because colleges are designed to “protect the public”, workers who fall under a regulated profession or college model often pay out-of-pocket for malpractice insurance to protect themselves against liability.

My colleagues and I do our best to respond to "Assist EHS" type calls as soon as possible no matter what they're for. They're so short in this province they need all the help they can get, and if us helping them here frees up another one over there for another call, that's the best case scenario.

We do end up dealing with some stupid crap that is in no way shape or form Police work, though. I also went through our Policy book and found that transport of patients is authorized in RCMP vehicles if no ambulance is available so that's been a neat trick I keep in the back pocket.

I also went through our Policy book and found that transport of patients is authorized in RCMP vehicles if no ambulance is available so that's been a neat trick I keep in the back pocket.

I read that Philadelphia police transport 2 of every 3 gunshot victims to hospital.

The Chicago police "squadrols" were pretty well known for that too.

Although there have been occasional "mishaps".

The City of Chicago has tentatively agreed to pay $1.8 million to settle a federal lawsuit that alleged a highly intoxicated man suffocated in the back of a police squadrol in November 2000 while two officers ate dinner and took two hours to take him to a hospital.

Attachments

• squadrol.jpe
    squadrol.jpe
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
OK, this is a bizarre one... and he's been released following the arrest...

Arrest made after burning liquid sprayed on women; VicPD looking for more victims​

In November, police responded to three incidents in which women had an unknown hot-feeling liquid splashed on their legs.

I mean, why keep a demented phuquewit like that in jail, much less a forensic facility?

I mean, why keep a demented phuquewit like that in jail, much less a forensic facility?
Probably misadvantaged and misunderstood…so it fits it with the Feds’ and BCs’ apologist agenda, which would rather take the effort to see repeat offenders released on conditions that some believe will be followed (but aren’t) and which results in innocent civilians being assaulted with damaging substances…or a young police officer being (allegedly) slayed while responding to an apparent vehicle accident.

Probably misadvantaged and misunderstood…so it fits it with the Feds’ and BCs’ apologist agenda, which would rather take the effort to see repeat offenders released on conditions that some believe will be followed (but aren’t) and which results in innocent civilians being assaulted with damaging substances…or a young police officer being (allegedly) slayed while responding to an apparent vehicle accident.
Herein lies the truth - guilty white champagne and limo liberals (not Liberal party) thinking they know better. They have not a clue about the real world.

a young police officer being (allegedly) slayed while responding to an apparent vehicle accident.

I'm old enough to remember when they used to hang cop-killers back-to-back at the Don.

Within only a few months of arrest. Not years.

Herein lies the truth - guilty white champagne and limo liberals (not Liberal party) thinking they know better. They have not a clue about the real world.

That and it's showing way(s) in which our legal system is failing. Words and paper are great when people are willing honor them equally.

What we see now is what happens when a certain segment of the population understands that it really means nothing and the only absolute is what's in front of your face at the moment.

Eventually the citizenry will fix this if the powers that be continue to spin their wheels.

This from Halifax:

Chalk that up as a win for the good guys.

That and it's showing way(s) in which our legal system is failing. Words and paper are great when people are willing honor them equally.

What we see now is what happens when a certain segment of the population understands that it really means nothing and the only absolute is what's in front of your face at the moment.

Eventually the citizenry will fix this if the powers that be continue to spin their wheels.

This from Halifax:

Chalk that up as a win for the good guys.
Oh yes this happened in Calgary in 1986. A drug store had been robbed twice by the same robber, third time the owner blasted him with a shotgun. Dead.

Not guilty. By a jury of his peers.

Back