• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

That’s a lot of carbons for one helicopter just to respond to a call. Our convict environment minister gets off on letting people die as long as we meet our net zero goals.

Maybe not in some of the overinflated markets. But certainly in other markets.
A significant amount of Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen live in locations with over-inflated markets. These markets have, furthermore, become more and more the natural baseline for our country. I am deeply sceptical that any of these markets are going to deflate in any serious manner, but I think rather that we are looking towards a new normal where we are poorer than our parents generally were.

There is definitely merit in what you say but there are many variables to this. Location is a big part of it, as well as type of employment for both yourself and your spouse, along with the standard of living that you live.

My wife and I both drive Honda's (yes, I'm originally from Windsor and yes I don't drive cars from the 'Big Three', but my cars are manufactured here in Canada), me a 2008 Honda Civic and her a 2016 CRV. Our cars are 15 and 7yrs old respectively. I have zero expectations of selling my Civic in the next 2, maybe 3 or 4yrs and that CRV will mostly likely be around for another 5+yrs. Could I afford to go out right now and buy a 3 series BMW, yes, luckily I could do so, same with my wife. But I had an accountant for a father, who worked 42yrs with Chrysler Canada in the financial department and he drilled into my head and my brothers head - "a car is a depreciating asset, treat it as such' - meaning buy a good car and run it into the ground before you buy another. My brother drives a 2000(!) Dodge Dakota pick-up truck still, it has over 550,000km on it. He doesn't intend to sell it until it breaks 600,000km and I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind at 600,000 and looks for 650,000km. He is luckily in the same position as myself, he could have bought a new truck years ago, decades ago, but the current truck still does want he needs it to do - get him reliably from Point A to Point B in some comfort and safety.

Prices of houses have gone up but people's expectations as to what is 'normal' have gone up even higher in my opinion. Hell, I peel off stamps on envelopes that haven't been cancelled by Canada Post just so I can re-use them and not buy new ones, that's how frugal I can be. When out of walks I pick up and take home beer bottles or liquor bottles so I can return them for the deposit.

I don't live especially flamboyantly. I have a 12 year old car, and we had to sell my wife's car when we moved into this new house because we needed the money. If we think that this is normal for a mid-ranking NCO with 15 years of service, I'm not sure what to say. At least in the old days when we were really not paid well, people lived closer to base, there was an actual community throughout the units and more broadly into the members' families etc...

I don't live especially flamboyantly. I have a 12 year old car, and we had to sell my wife's car when we moved into this new house because we needed the money. If we think that this is normal for a mid-ranking NCO with 15 years of service, I'm not sure what to say. At least in the old days when we were really not paid well, people lived closer to base, there was an actual community throughout the units and more broadly into the members' families etc...

So what you're saying is "We were poor, but happy", right? ;)

That’s a lot of carbons for one helicopter just to respond to a call. Our convict environment minister gets off on letting people die as long as we meet our net zero goals.
Well not all true. Your Social Credit score will be check first. If you have a good score we can send the helicopter out, then add the CO2 cost to you Lifetime allotment. And when that is used up your MAiD home kit will be delivered to your sleeping cube.

And in the meantime here are some funny Tik Toks.

Well not all true. Your Social Credit score will be check first. If you have a good score we can send the helicopter out, then add the CO2 cost to you Lifetime allotment. And when that is used up your MAiD home kit will be delivered to your sleeping cube.

And in the meantime here are some funny Tik Toks.
Crap C-11 passed I forgot....The above comment was post by Funiture, or Quirky or somebody......I have been hacked and would never post something like that.

All hail the PM. He has beautiful hair and I long to be just like him. And I have preorder my copy of little red book of Justin Thoughts!

Crap C-11 passed I forgot....The above comment was post by Funiture, or Quirky or somebody......I have been hacked and would never post something like that.

All hail the PM. He has beautiful hair and I long to be just like him. And I have preorder my copy of little red book of Justin Thoughts!

Here it is, with all his thoughts ;)

3339.jpg

We'll see...

Richard Shimooka: As NATO allies grow impatient, Canada may be quietly planning major increase in defence spending​

There are credible signals that the government is at least considering a major increase in defence spending

The Washington Post recently reported that the latest leak of secret U.S. intelligence documents reveal that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has privately told NATO officials that Canada can never meet its funding commitment to the military alliance.

This is anything but a surprise to seasoned defence observers. The Liberal government has never promised to meet the long-stated (but never-achieved) target of NATO funding—the equivalent of two percent of Canada’s GDP—and it has long been clear that our allies have become privately frustrated with Canada’s reluctance to pull its weight.

These candid intelligence notes pierce through Ottawa’s messaging about Canada being a good ally and global citizen. They make it clear the government’s pronouncements for domestic consumption are unconvincing to our allies and have harmed the country’s credibility in foreign circles.

But here’s the surprising bit: it is not clear whether the situation described in the leaked document accurately captures the current moment in Canadian defence policy. In fact, there have been credible signals that the government is at least considering, if not outright planning, a major increase in defence spending. Perhaps this policy shift is a response to reproaches from allies in closed-door meetings, or it could be a political calculation to deflect criticism on what is traditionally one of the Liberal Party’s weakest files. The government is currently drafting a defence policy update to the 2017 Strong, Secure, Engaged defence policy, which may offer a strategic rationale for launching such a shift.

Whatever the reason, the hints of this shift are just emerging. It is nowhere to be seen in any major announcement, nor was it accounted for in the last budget. Rather, its indications are scattered across a range of signals, including during outlook sessions hosted by the Canadian Association of Security and Defence Industries (CADSI). These annual gatherings of Canada’s largest defence industry association have the chiefs of the Navy, Air Force, and Army speak of their respective priorities. These interactions have recently been accompanied by requests for information from potential vendors, as well as establishing new project staff in DND or other federal departments.

A provisional shopping list includes a wide variety of much-needed replacements for Canada’s defence systems, including for the Victoria Class Submarine. At potentially $60 billion, the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project alone would do much to bridge Canada’s funding shortfall.

However, there are also some surprising and new capabilities being considered, including an advanced airborne early warning aircraft with a powerful radar capacity for surveillance over large swaths of airspace. Other potential systems of note are a long-range rocket artillery system, like HIMARS, and potentially a lightweight mobile artillery platform, like the BAE Systems Archer. The Army is also moving to acquire a new tank to replace the Leopard 2 currently in service.

This scale of modernization program would be a significant step toward restoring Canada’s military to a more capable footing after a decade of neglect. Many of the capabilities being considered are critical for the Canadian Armed Forces to operate in a future combat environment. For example, HIMARS, and highly mobile tube artillery systems like the Archer or NEXTER’s Caesar, have been immensely effective in the war in Ukraine. Some experts claim (perhaps hyperbolically) the former was critical in turning the momentum of the war against the Russian Federation in the spring of 2022.

(sigh) I do have 10 acres for sale in Florida. Wouldn't it be nice. Or they are simply creating wooden tanks and inflatable guns. It is just as likely that by initiating the preliminary work they will deflect criticism for another couple of years and punt the whole thing past the next election. History would suggest that this is the most likely scenario

I disagree with the article that the signals are indicating a shift in defence spending.

There are signs that in the next 5-10 years Canada will pursue the purchase of small limited numbers of weapons and equipment to bring NORAD and the aFP Bde elements in Latvia up to modern standards.

However I don’t see signs that the GoC,DND, or CAF are planning a complete upgrade of the CAF. Nor is there a long term plan to maintain such capabilities.

We are at a natural point in Canadian defence spending that we hit every 30-40 year or so where the equipment we bought 30-40 years ago is unworkable and must be replaced. We proceed to replace it with generally pretty decent modern systems then proceed to operate it until it bordering on obsolete and in unmaintainable.

CSC, F35,P8, NORAD and aFP will likely drive the budget up some but the political calculus in Ottawa won’t have changed I bet.

I disagree with the article that the signals are indicating a shift in defence spending.

There are signs that in the next 5-10 years Canada will pursue the purchase of small limited numbers of weapons and equipment to bring NORAD and the aFP Bde elements in Latvia up to modern standards.

However I don’t see signs that the GoC,DND, or CAF are planning a complete upgrade of the CAF. Nor is there a long term plan to maintain such capabilities.

We are at a natural point in Canadian defence spending that we hit every 30-40 year or so where the equipment we bought 30-40 years ago is unworkable and must be replaced. We proceed to replace it with FEWER pretty decent modern systems then proceed to operate it until it bordering on obsolete and in unmaintainable.

CSC, F35,P8, NORAD and aFP will likely drive the budget up some but the political calculus in Ottawa won’t have changed I bet.
FIFY
Also I suspect Canada will be forced to pony up for the Submarine replacement, and a Bde for the Pacific on top of that.
My guess is there will be some gradual increasing pressure on Canada to join AUKUS, as its the only 5E that operates Subs and doesn't have Nuke boats planned (NZ doesn't have any subs in their "Navy" Ships & watercraft)

FIFY
Also I suspect Canada will be forced to pony up for the Submarine replacement, and a Bde for the Pacific on top of that.
My guess is there will be some gradual increasing pressure on Canada to join AUKUS, as its the only 5E that operates Subs and doesn't have Nuke boats planned (NZ doesn't have any subs in their "Navy" Ships & watercraft)

Or we can slowly stop being invited to the 5 Eyes tree house until they just fold AUKUS into it and tell us we're service no longer required.

Meanwhile
That will not affect the thinking of the current GoC - This government sees no threat from any other nation, despite evidence to the contrary.

Lithuania and Denmark have seen the bear and it ain't friendly. We have seen a tiger - but we continue to deny its very existence.

That will not affect the thinking of the current GoC - This government sees no threat from any other nation, despite evidence to the contrary.

Lithuania and Denmark have seen the bear and it ain't friendly. We have seen a tiger - but we continue to deny its very existence.

Now, now.... I'm sure they're worried about running out of champagne ;)

1683322255977.png

Interesting article from the States

US EconomyUSD/Year$ 27,000,000,000,000.00Year/Year1
USD/Day$ 73,921,971,252.57Day/Year365
USD/Hour$ 3,080,082,135.52Hour/Year8,766
USD/Minute$ 51,334,702.26Minute/Year525,960
USD/Second$ 855,578.37Second/Year31,557,600
Federal BudgetUSD/Year$ 6,800,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.25
USD/Day$ 18,617,385,352.50Day/Year92
USD/Hour$ 775,724,389.69Hour/Year2,208
USD/Minute$ 12,928,739.83Minute/Year132,464
USD/Second$ 215,479.00Second/Year7,947,840
Defense BudgetUSD/Year$ 886,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.033
USD/Day$ 2,425,735,797.40Day/Year12
USD/Hour$ 101,072,324.89Hour/Year288
USD/Minute$ 1,684,538.75Minute/Year17,259
USD/Second$ 28,075.65Second/Year1,035,557
Defense ResearchUSD/Year$ 265,800,000,000.00Year/Year0.010
USD/Day$ 727,720,739.22Day/Year4
USD/Hour$ 30,321,697.47Hour/Year86
USD/Minute$ 505,361.62Minute/Year5,178
USD/Second$ 8,422.69Second/Year310,667
Defense OtherUSD/Year$ 620,200,000,000.00Year/Year0.023
USD/Day$ 1,698,015,058.18Day/Year8
USD/Hour$ 70,750,627.42Hour/Year201
USD/Minute$ 1,179,177.12Minute/Year12,081
USD/Second$ 19,652.95Second/Year724,890
Combat VehiclesUSD/Year$ 3,800,000,000.00Year/Year0.00014
USD/Day$ 10,403,832.99Day/Year0.051
USD/Hour$ 433,493.04Hour/Year1
USD/Minute$ 7,224.88Minute/Year74
USD/Second$ 120.41Second/Year4,441
USN CarrierUSD/Year$ 12,400,000,000.00Year/Year0.00046
USD/Day$ 33,949,349.76Day/Year0.17
USD/Hour$ 1,414,556.24Hour/Year4
USD/Minute$ 23,575.94Minute/Year242
USD/Second$ 392.93Second/Year14,493
US Missile DefenceUSD/Year$ 10,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.00037
USD/Day$ 27,378,507.87Day/Year0.14
USD/Hour$ 1,140,771.16Hour/Year3
USD/Minute$ 19,012.85Minute/Year195
USD/Second$ 316.88Second/Year11,688
US Army AircraftUSD/Year$ 3,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.00011
USD/Day$ 8,213,552.36Day/Year0.041
USD/Hour$ 342,231.35Hour/Year1
USD/Minute$ 5,703.86Minute/Year58
USD/Second$ 95.06Second/Year3,506
US Army MissilesUSD/Year$ 7,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.00026
USD/Day$ 19,164,955.51Day/Year0.095
USD/Hour$ 798,539.81Hour/Year2
USD/Minute$ 13,309.00Minute/Year136
USD/Second$ 221.82Second/Year8,182

Doing the same thing with Canada resulted in this

Canadian EconomyCAD/Year$ 2,200,000,000,000.00Year/Year1
CAD/Day$ 6,023,271,731.69Day/Year365
CAD/Hour$ 250,969,655.49Hour/Year8,766
CAD/Minute$ 4,182,827.59Minute/Year525,960
CAD/Second$ 69,713.79Second/Year31,557,600
Federal BudgetCAD/Year$ 465,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.21
CAD/Day$ 1,273,100,616.02Day/Year77
CAD/Hour$ 53,045,859.00Hour/Year1,853
CAD/Minute$ 884,097.65Minute/Year111,169
CAD/Second$ 14,734.96Second/Year6,670,129
Defense BudgetCAD/Year$ 25,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.011
CAD/Day$ 68,446,269.68Day/Year4
CAD/Hour$ 2,851,927.90Hour/Year100
CAD/Minute$ 47,532.13Minute/Year5,977
CAD/Second$ 792.20Second/Year358,609
NATO 2%CAD/Year$ 44,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.020
CAD/Day$ 120,465,434.63Day/Year7
CAD/Hour$ 5,019,393.11Hour/Year175
CAD/Minute$ 83,656.55Minute/Year10,519
CAD/Second$ 1,394.28Second/Year631,152
OperationsCAD/Year$ 824,000,000.00Year/Year0.005
CAD/Day$ 30,116,358.66Day/Year2
CAD/Hour$ 1,254,848.28Hour/Year44
CAD/Minute$ 20,914.14Minute/Year2,630
CAD/Second$ 348.57Second/Year157,788
Ready ForcesCAD/Year$ 11,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.00037
CAD/Day$ 2,255,989.05Day/Year0.137
CAD/Hour$ 93,999.54Hour/Year3
CAD/Minute$ 1,566.66Minute/Year197
CAD/Second$ 26.11Second/Year11,820
Defence TeamCAD/Year$ 3,800,000,000.00Year/Year0.00173
CAD/Day$ 10,403,832.99Day/Year0.63
CAD/Hour$ 433,493.04Hour/Year15
CAD/Minute$ 7,224.88Minute/Year908
CAD/Second$ 120.41Second/Year54,509
Future Force DesignCAD/Year$ 887,000,000.00Year/Year0.00040
CAD/Day$ 2,428,473.65Day/Year0.15
CAD/Hour$ 101,186.40Hour/Year4
CAD/Minute$ 1,686.44Minute/Year212
CAD/Second$ 28.11Second/Year12,723
Procurement of CapabilitiesCAD/Year$ 4,750,000,000.00Year/Year0.00216
CAD/Day$ 13,004,791.24Day/Year0.789
CAD/Hour$ 541,866.30Hour/Year19
CAD/Minute$ 9,031.11Minute/Year1,136
CAD/Second$ 150.52Second/Year68,136
Bases, IT and InfrastructureCAD/Year$ 4,530,000,000.00Year/Year0.00206
CAD/Day$ 12,402,464.07Day/Year0.752
CAD/Hour$ 516,769.34Hour/Year18
CAD/Minute$ 8,612.82Minute/Year1,083
CAD/Second$ 143.55Second/Year64,980
Internal ServicesCAD/Year$ 904,000,000.00Year/Year0.00041
CAD/Day$ 2,475,017.11Day/Year0.150
CAD/Hour$ 103,125.71Hour/Year4
CAD/Minute$ 1,718.76Minute/Year216
CAD/Second$ 28.65Second/Year12,967

A Billion Canadian Dollars costs the Canadian Economy about 4 hours of productive labour, communally, per year.

ReferenceCAD/Year$ 1,000,000,000.00Year/Year0.00045
CAD/Day$ 2,737,850.79Day/Year0.166
CAD/Hour$ 114,077.12Hour/Year4.0
CAD/Minute$ 1,901.29Minute/Year239
CAD/Second$ 31.69Second/Year14,344

Back