• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

As much as I agree the parties are shit, I find the candidates are, at best, painted fence posts or trained seals. Until MPs become someone again and power is again decentralized, you’re better off choosing a trained seal for a party and leader you can stomach.

As much as I agree the parties are shit, I find the candidates are, at best, painted fence posts or trained seals. Until MPs become someone again and power is again decentralized, you’re better off choosing a trained seal for a party and leader you can stomach.

Agreed.

While I realise that this might be a long shot, I hope that the possible creation of a new centrist party (Centre Ice Canadians) will see one of their candidates run in my riding. They have a solid advisory board of various centrists that I could get on board with. The CPC and LPC are going too far in opposite directions for my liking.

You can thank Trudeau the Elder for consolidating power in the PMO and setting the tone for the castration of individual MP power, consequently creating this disfunctional parliamentary process.

The UK has had more caucus revolts in the past 3 years than we have in the past 50.

While I realise that this might be a long shot, I hope that the possible creation of a new centrist party (Centre Ice Canadians) will see one of their candidates run in my riding. They have a solid advisory board of various centrists that I could get on board with. The CPC and LPC are going too far in opposite directions for my liking.
Problem is, you get a situation like the 90s where the Liberals ran the country with impunity. I’m not convinced that there is a groundswell of support for a new party, no matter how much people say they want one. It all boils down to negative partisanship: “who is best able to defeat the bastards I hate”. That explains all those NDPers that vote Liberal.

Problem is, you get a situation like the 90s where the Liberals ran the country with impunity. I’m not convinced that there is a groundswell of support for a new party, no matter how much people say they want one. It all boils down to negative partisanship: “who is best able to defeat the bastards I hate”. That explains all those NDPers that vote Liberal.
Don’t care. I want to vote for something. It needs to start somewhere. So far traction seems to be taking but I hold no illusions that it will be able to take power. It just needs legitimacy and send a message. If their policies are more centrist they could earn my vote.

I’d strongly consider this if they can, in fact, bring forward candidates and a platform that don’t suck. That to me could be a comfortable way to cast what to me would be a meaningful vote, with a middle finger up in the air off to either side.

Not that I think whatever centrist party emerges will become ‘the thing’, but maybe it forces CPC and LPC to each smarten up. It’s a way for disappointed swing voters to self ID and count off.

Sigh. I had real hope that the CPC was going to be that party up until about this time last year. I truly believe that JT's more inflammatory and divisive words and actions towards the end of Covid were were a calculated attempt to prevent that from happening.

Don’t care. I want to vote for something. It needs to start somewhere. So far traction seems to be taking but I hold no illusions that it will be able to take power. It just needs legitimacy and send a message. If their policies are more centrist they could earn my vote.
Centrist? Politics in the modern west for the last 60 years are not swing but a ratchet ever moving left. It can sometimes slowdown or almost come to a stop but never swing back.

Your centralist is yesterday's left. On and on forever. Modern Tory or right are just the mainstream a few years ago now thought as of far right.

Reactions: QV
Centrist? Politics in the modern west for the last 60 years are not swing but a ratchet ever moving left. It can sometimes slowdown or almost come to a stop but never swing back.

Your centralist is yesterday's left. On and on forever. Modern Tory or right are just the mainstream a few years ago now thought as of far right.
I might have agreed with this 20 years ago but things have changed. The mainstream centre-right and centre-left parties have moved further to the right and left respectively. The plurality in the exhausted middle is turned off politics and the left and right poles are galvanized to vote against their opponents. The parties are successfully suppressing the vote of the portion of the electorate that used to win them elections.

What particular issues do you think have ratcheted left that you'd like to see a swing back right?

That's an awfully broad term. Care to elaborate what in the justice system has "swung" left that needs to be swung back to the right?
sentence length, parole and response to parole violations, bail availability for repeat offenders, police defunding ( which is all part of the broad category of justice), the deletion of the concept of life sentencing. Give me some time and I may think of more

sentence length, parole and response to parole violations, bail availability for repeat offenders, police defunding ( which is all part of the broad category of justice), the deletion of the concept of life sentencing. Give me some time and I may think of more
Many of the issues that Harper's government addressed in justice that Trudeau rolled back

I know you were not asking me, but I'd say fiscal policy; spending to be specific.
Not seeing a ratchet

What particular issues do you think have ratcheted left that you'd like to see a swing back right?
Speech, social issues, gov handouts, taxes etc. Size of government etc. Ever left always and forever.

5 minutes ago a boy was a boy etc.

To dress above about the parties move ever apart is true....but it's the left moving the goal posts. When has a right leaning government ever rollback anything? They can slow but can not change the direction of the ratchet.

Here is big one speech.....When was "hate speech" a crime twenty years ago? It was not nice, it could be horrible but not a crime. It is now.

Regulations, regulations....more and more.

the list going on and on.....lockdowns, shots, handouts to business....

Speech, social issues, gov handouts, taxes etc. Size of government etc. Ever left always and forever.

5 minutes ago a boy was a boy etc.

Here is big one speech.....When was "hate speech" a crime twenty years ago? It was not nice, it could be horrible but not a crime. It is now.

Regulations, regulations....more and more.
Regulations is a good one. A lot of scope creep.

Taxes- nope, size of government - massive growth of public service under Trudeau, but no 60 year ratchet by spending, see links above.

Hate Speech- added to the criminal code in 1970. R v Keegstra and R v Andrews happened in 1990. 33 and 53 years respectively. Most definitely a crime 20 years ago.

Social Issues- let's just say I agree with Peter McKay, and end it there.

Regulations is a good one. A lot of scope creep.

Taxes- nope, size of government - massive growth of public service under Trudeau, but no 60 year ratchet by spending, see links above.

Hate Speech- added to the criminal code in 1970. R v Keegstra and R v Andrews happened in 1990. 33 and 53 years respectively. Most definitely a crime 20 years ago.

Social Issues- let's just say I agree with Peter McKay, and end it there.
Hate Speech you prove my point....plus the 60 years of ever widening definition. Bill C-36 is Trudeau's

Plus your size of government is not right
1685124572245.png

44 percent plus of GDP. And in reality it thing it bigger because it like miss the quasi government spending. Government public commissions, crown corps etc.

Back