• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

I’m not going to be shedding any tears if China doesn’t want their citizens to spend their money in Canada.

One year ago this month my wife and I were in Banff National Park on vacation and there were so many people there (with probably the vast majority of them tour groups from China) that Moraine Lake and Lake Louise were basically closed off to all but those arriving by bus. It was total madness. Hell, once we made it to Lake Louise, the Chateau itself was virtually closed to all but guests. The viewpoints at Peyto Lake were so crowded that those taking pictures were getting shoved as more people arrived. Having been to the western parks numerous times over the last 50 years I’ve never seen anything like it and my wife says she never wants to go back, preferring to remember what is used to be like. Mind you, Jasper National Park wasn’t nearly as crowded.

Which reminded me of this map ;)

1692248332485.png

Seems like an acceptable loss if we want to be serious about standing up to Chinese interference in our affairs.
I agree. The billions upon billions this government has thrown away and literally lost. Catherine McKenna couldn't account for $187.8 billion.

$2 billion is a mere pittance and worth the cost in tourist dollars across the country.

I think you misspelled ‘PLA recce’…
not entirely. Many of the buses and hotels that they use are owned either in whole or in part by Chinese corporaations. All the profits go back to Beijing. We are left with the proceeds of fuel sales and of course staff salaries

not entirely. Many of the buses and hotels that they use are owned either in whole or in part by Chinese corporaations. All the profits go back to Beijing. We are left with the proceeds of fuel sales and of course staff salaries
🤔 Maybe ‘Vanguard’ or ‘QRF’ would have been more accurate? 😉

I’m not going to be shedding any tears if China doesn’t want their citizens to spend their money in Canada.

One year ago this month my wife and I were in Banff National Park on vacation and there were so many people there (with probably the vast majority of them tour groups from China) that Moraine Lake and Lake Louise were basically closed off to all but those arriving by bus. It was total madness. Hell, once we made it to Lake Louise, the Chateau itself was virtually closed to all but guests. The viewpoints at Peyto Lake were so crowded that those taking pictures were getting shoved as more people arrived. Having been to the western parks numerous times over the last 50 years I’ve never seen anything like it and my wife says she never wants to go back, preferring to remember what is used to be like. Mind you, Jasper National Park wasn’t nearly as crowded.
I would argue that it was the first year people could leave post-COVID, so people went a bit nuts.

Chinese tourists are stereotyped to be pushy and crappy all around, but from what I’ve seen around the Parliamentary precinct and other touristy areas in Ottawa, they are by no means the only ones.

A really famous place like Banff will have tons of tourists, especially at that time. China has the second-largest population in the world now, with a huge “middle class” that can travel. So they will.

I give it a few decades before India does the same - I’ve been seeing a lot of Indian/south Asian tourists in my travels lately.

You would be referring to the penetration of our systems of higher education then?

Only the totally complacent and naïve will believe that our university industrial complex hasn't been awfully penetrated and compromised by the PLA.

I would argue that it was the first year people could leave post-COVID, so people went a bit nuts.

Chinese tourists are stereotyped to be pushy and crappy all around, but from what I’ve seen around the Parliamentary precinct and other touristy areas in Ottawa, they are by no means the only ones.

A really famous place like Banff will have tons of tourists, especially at that time. China has the second-largest population in the world now, with a huge “middle class” that can travel. So they will.

I give it a few decades before India does the same - I’ve been seeing a lot of Indian/south Asian tourists in my travels lately.
You’re right dim sum. The post-Covid era has released the pent-up demand for travel. However the number of visitors from China (as well as South Asia) has been growing steadily for years now. In another post I made months back, I pointed out the bus loads of tourists from China who were visiting the Norman Bethune Museum in Gravenhurst some years ago. It seemed to me as if they were viewing his boyhood home and some of the objects on display there with as if it was a religious shrine.

And then there are New Yorkers. They are bad enough when in their home state…ever go to a Yankees game at home? But let them go abroad in numbers and the Ugly American image quickly resurfaces. Fortunately they are significantly fewer in numbers than those I’m complaining about. I just wish the federal and provincial governments were doing more to encourage travel within Canada and not appealing so much to foreign travellers. As it is, parks like Banff are being stressed to the limit to handle massive numbers of visitors and have been for years.

Still I do have a particular bone to pick with China, its aggressive nature and the influence it exerts on its citizens to do its bidding.

You’re right dim sum. The post-Covid era has released the pent-up demand for travel. However the number of visitors from China (as well as South Asia) has been growing steadily for years now. In another post I made months back, I pointed out the bus loads of tourists from China who were visiting the Norman Bethune Museum in Gravenhurst some years ago. It seemed to me as if they were viewing his boyhood home and some of the objects on display there with as if it was a religious shrine.

And then there are New Yorkers. They are bad enough when in their home state…ever go to a Yankees game at home? But let them go abroad in numbers and the Ugly American image quickly resurfaces. Fortunately they are significantly fewer in numbers than those I’m complaining about. I just wish the federal and provincial governments were doing more to encourage travel within Canada and not appealing so much to foreign travellers. As it is, parks like Banff are being stressed to the limit to handle massive numbers of visitors and have been for years.

Still I do have a particular bone to pick with China, its aggressive nature and the influence it exerts on its citizens to do its bidding.
The Bethune museum makes sense though. He helped the CCP during the Chinese civil war.

The really good videos of our tourists is when they take pictures of Nan petting buffalo or feeding bread to grizzly bears or honking their horns at moose.. They think we're a big petting zoo. :ROFLMAO:

The Bethune museum makes sense though. He helped the CCP during the Chinese civil war.

He was also a pukka, diehard commie, but that gets ignored alot ;)

Henry Norman Bethune (1890–1939): Surgeon, communist, humanitarian​

China was unabashedly enthusiastic. During the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s, communist leaders began to use Bethune as a symbol of ‘selflessness, dedication and responsibility’, which were characteristics that the leaders hoped to instil in all of China’s people. An essay written by Mao Zedong himself entitled ‘In Memory of Norman Bethune’ reached every citizen of China with these words: “Comrade Bethune’s spirit, his utter devotion to others without any thought of self, was shown in his great sense of responsibility in his work and his great warmheartedness towards all comrades and the people. Every Communist must learn from him… We must all learn the spirit of absolute selflessness from him. With this spirit, everyone can be very useful to the people. A man’s ability may be great or small, but if he has this spirit, he is already noble-minded and pure, a man of moral integrity and above vulgar interests, a man who is of value to the people.”

I still find it shocking that he is an elected member of a sitting government...
and all the CBC has to say is that he is going to China for the meeting and nothing about his status on the board or the possible conflict of interest.

Back