• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lawyers Allegedly Behaving Badly

You misspelled it, noob. ‘Seppuku’, no ‘a’.
excited ralph wiggum GIF

Twenty five breaches of the code of conduct, ten other rule violations, and "also made it clear during the hearing that she would not follow the rules or comply with her ethical obligations."

Lol, this will be a fun side show. Doubtful it’ll materially affect the prosecution or criminal charges, but you know there will be lots of noise made off to the flank. I’ve not read this filing myself, but those who have are saying it has no witness affidavits or specific information to substantiate it, so this could be a bit of a Hail Mary throw by that defendant.

This filing was by counsel for Mike Roman, one of the multiple defendants in the Georgia case. He’s been watching his codefendants cave in around him and take plea deals, so he may be sweating a tad.

This was big in the news awhile ago... a disbarment double-double

Two BC lawyers disbarred a second time as regulator seeks public’s confidence in discipline process​

The Law Society of British Columbia has ordered additional sanctions against two already-disbarred lawyers.

In separate decisions issued by the LSBC tribunal, lawyers Peter Darren Steven Hart and Aaron Murray Lessing were ordered disbarred. The orders were made in tribunal hearings that concluded after previous hearings into different matters resolved with both Hart and Lessing being disbarred.
In the most recent tribunal decision for Hart’s disciplinary action, the panel found that Hart committed professional misconduct when he betrayed, misled, and “exploited a vulnerable client he knew to be suffering from a mental illness.”

“The panel found that Hart provided an abysmal quality of service, failed to act with honesty and candour, and that he pressured his client into entering an unfair and unethical contingency fee agreement,” the society said in a press release.

The panel further found that Hart entered into a settlement that was contrary to his client’s instructions, he misled her about the terms of the settlement, and he took over $1 million in fees to which he was not entitled.

In ordering disbarment, the panel considered the “extremely grave” nature of Hart’s misconduct, the fact that it was deliberate and calculated, and that it had a profound impact on the client who has suffered irreparable emotional and financial harm.

The panel also considered that Hart’s misconduct compromised the sanctity of the solicitor-client relationship and dishonoured the legal profession. It concluded that the facts require strong disciplinary action that protects the public and provides general deterrence.

The decision says that Hart ignored his client’s instructions and acted solely for his own personal financial benefit.

“The impact on the client has been profound. She is financially destitute. What should have been an adequate divorce settlement to ensure her future financial security was decimated by the respondent.”

So a question: at what point does the Bar hand these egregious issues over to the Crown for criminal prosecution?
You would think they would go hand in hand; what Hart did sounds like straight up fraud to the tune of $1M, with other aggravating factors.

Lol, this will be a fun side show. Doubtful it’ll materially affect the prosecution or criminal charges, but you know there will be lots of noise made off to the flank. I’ve not read this filing myself, but those who have are saying it has no witness affidavits or specific information to substantiate it, so this could be a bit of a Hail Mary throw by that defendant.

This filing was by counsel for Mike Roman, one of the multiple defendants in the Georgia case. He’s been watching his codefendants cave in around him and take plea deals, so he may be sweating a tad.
I watched the whole thing as it went down. Willis and Wade were absolute shitshows. They might even have some appointments with the IRS to explain a few things. There is more than a good chance neither will be working the Trump case, but weirder things have been happening, in all the other cases, so why not this one also?😏

I watched the whole thing as it went down. Willis and Wade were absolute shitshows. They might even have some appointments with the IRS to explain a few things. There is more than a good chance neither will be working the Trump case, but weirder things have been happening, in all the other cases, so why not this one also?😏

You’ve got a different take on it than a number of legal experts I’ve been reading. Despite aggressive questioning, there is no direct testimony substantiating any alleged impropriety. Even if the two are found to have been in a relationship at some point in time material to the allegations, that also does not automatically mean either is disqualified to work on the case, or alternatively that any part of the actual case is invalid should a different lead prosecutor be assigned. In any case, this should at least be wrapped up one way or another pretty quickly.

Back