Author Topic: Veteran groups seek to influence the 2015 vote  (Read 112830 times)

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Veteran groups seek to influence the 2015 vote
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2015, 15:01:03 »
Note that the NDP HAS NOT promised to get rid of lump sum payments and bring back lifetime pensions. They never demanded this while official opposition either.
Not exactly - this, from the NDP's 2013 policy paper on the issue:
.... New Democrats would review, improve, and update the entire New Veterans Charter (NVC) from top to bottom including the issue of lump-sum payments ....
I WILL grant you that a review =/= a commitment to change, but I haven't heard any such commitment from the Conservatives, either.  So far, the Liberals have promised a choice between lump sum & monthly payment, and the Greens have said "The Lump Sum Payment in lieu of lifetime pension for injuries sustained on duty for Canada must be scrapped ...."

The party's veteran promises, announced so far this campaign:
Still almost four weeks left, so loads of time for everyone to flesh out their promises.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:40 »
Well, the PAO in me is looking at the Liberal page and wondering if that is a stock photo from a CAF databank which they are using, which would be completely inappropriate and not just a little illegal during an election campaign.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:08 »
So as a Cole's notes for anyone wanting it, the NDP's only support for veterans is:

$454 million over 4 years ($113.5 million a year) split between:

- Treatment for PTSD and mental health issues
- Enhancements to long-term care (no details)
- Expand VIP program (no details)
- Increase survivor's pensions
- Ensure funding for Last Post Fund

So each survivor is going get a $20 increase a month for their pension, and maybe VIP will buy us a Timmies? Platitudes, and looks like a lot less money than what the Tories have already committed. This is what ABC Veterans claims is better?

When you factor in the increased cost to "study" this with the appropriate NDP friendly think tanks, say Rideau Institute, and then ensure that said "improvements" must be implemented by appropriate union persons which will each need more funds, I think the extra $20.00 and a Timmies is prpbably not going to happen.  8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2015, 06:28:07 »
.... For the record, comittments to vets so far with about four weeks left before voting day:

One more plank for the Conservatives' platform - new veterans ID (release also attached in case link doesn't work for you):
.... the Honourable Erin O’Toole, on behalf of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party of Canada, announced a new initiative to recognize the service of all Veterans and make it easier to access the services they need.

A re-elected Conservative government would issue a Canadian Veterans Card (CVC) to every Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces.

“The Canadian Veterans Card will help hundreds of thousands of men and women who have proudly served Canada in the Armed Forces,” said O’Toole while making the announcement outside of CFB Gagetown NB.

“The CVC will be issued the moment a Veteran is released from the military, enabling Veterans Affairs Canada to immediately contact the Veteran and make him or her aware the benefits and services available.”

“This CVC will act as a catalyst to further close the seam between the Department of National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada.” O’Toole added.

Every Military member who has completed basic training and who is honourably discharged will receive the CVC. This includes Regular Force, Reservists, Canadian Rangers and the Cadet Instructor Cadre.

Veterans Affairs Canada will also proactively reach out to existing Veterans to ensure they get their CVC.

The CVC will serve as official government identification ....
Meanwhile, the NVC litigation remains in play while others have been dropped, even during the campaign period.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2015, 06:45:16 »
I'm going to guess that, just like the old service pins and the more modern e.g. SSI, these will be, somehow, coded ... i.e:

1. Those with 28 or more years of service will get a Platinum card;

2. There'll be a Gold card for those with more than 20 but less than 28 years of service;

3. Those with more than, say, five or seven years of service will get a Blue card; and

4. There will be a Green card for those who never managed to finish their initial engagement.

Sorta like ...

... but, maybe, with a picture.  ;)
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

jollyjacktar

« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2015, 07:40:59 »
And I for one as a future veteran am extremely underwhelmed by it all.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2015, 07:44:37 »
My personal fave from the news release:
.... Every Military member who has completed basic training and who is honourably discharged will receive the CVC. This includes Regular Force, Reservists, Canadian Rangers and the Cadet Instructor Cadre.

Veterans Affairs Canada will also proactively reach out to existing Veterans to ensure they get their CVC.

The CVC will serve as official government identification ....
Good use of resources, getting "papers" to ALL vets, given the percieved shortage of front-line staff  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:00:35 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2015, 08:37:15 »
Just a stupid question that just popped into my mind: What the heck was my CF 75 for then?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2015, 08:43:36 »
Just a stupid question that just popped into my mind: What the heck was my CF 75 for then?

1.  Not everyone got a CF 75.

2.  How could they justify keeping, or increasing, staff if they did not create another bureaucratic boon doggle ?

>:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2015, 08:44:36 »

I think the complaint (valid for some) is that the CF-75 is only issued after n years of service (I forget how many) and there are, of course, some young combat veterans who served, very honourably, and left the CF, perhaps because of wounds, but do not qualify for the CF-75 because they didn't serve long enough.

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2015, 08:45:52 »
I'm going to guess that, just like the old service pins and the more modern e.g. SSI, these will be, somehow, coded ... i.e:

1. Those with 28 or more years of service will get a Platinum card;

2. There'll be a Gold card for those with more than 20 but less than 28 years of service;

3. Those with more than, say, five or seven years of service will get a Blue card; and

4. There will be a Green card for those who never managed to finish their initial engagement.

Sorta like ...

... but, maybe, with a picture.  ;)

So, in other words, you'll be able to tell just how old a fart someone is by the colour of their card...
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2015, 08:59:39 »
So, in other words, you'll be able to tell just how old a fart someone is by the colour of their card...

Yep ... a very, very attractive young lady, a flight attendant on a good, global airline, once told me that her favourite colours were grey and platinum: enough grey in the hair to indicate maturity and enough platinum on the credit cards to indicate success.  :nod:
----------

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2015, 09:06:05 »
I think the complaint (valid for some) is that the CF-75 is only issued after n years of service (I forget how many) and there are, of course, some young combat veterans who served, very honourably, and left the CF, perhaps because of wounds, but do not qualify for the CF-75 because they didn't serve long enough.
And one hopes that the new card will get the outgoing troop connected posthaste into the VAC sausage machine, something I don't think the NDI75 does now. 

Also, the NDI is NOT an I.D. card (as it says on the back), while the new card will be - no shortage of process involved to create ANOTHER certified piece of government I.D.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2015, 21:21:45 »
And one hopes that the new card will get the outgoing troop connected posthaste into the VAC sausage machine, something I don't think the NDI75 does now. 

Also, the NDI is NOT an I.D. card (as it says on the back), while the new card will be - no shortage of process involved to create ANOTHER certified piece of government I.D.

Precisely. While I'm loathe to support another bureaucratic process, there's thousands of us that are only know to VAC once we initiate contact. For many, that's too late. VAC should have the name and address of every vet at their digital fingertips. They should be proactive with periodic mailings that advise vets of the services that are available to them, and provide contact information to start the various processes. Heck, if the veteran won't intervene on their own behalf, at least family can because they have the contact information. Will it cost? Sure, but I wager it's pretty cheap, and isn't that what we're asking for anyway? A better connection between VAC and vets and their families. Establishing contact with VAC should be part of the release process.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2015, 07:54:47 »
For the record, comittments to vets so far with about four weeks left before voting day:
One more plank for the Conservatives' platform - new veterans ID (release also attached in case link doesn't work for you) ....
You can also check out this CTVNews.ca overview of what the parties commit to vets via their Minister or VAC critics.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline dan7108

• Rate Post
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2015, 17:44:36 »
Curious what you folks think of a political candidate wearing medals while campaigning (Tim Laidler).

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/21/terry-fox-family-denies-support-for-tory-promise.html

jollyjacktar

« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2015, 18:32:34 »
If they're his, he can wear them whenever and wherever he wants to.  It doesn't particularly move me on his merits one way or another.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2015, 18:38:02 »
If they're his, he can wear them whenever and wherever he wants to.  It doesn't particularly move me on his merits one way or another.
Nor me.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2015, 18:52:29 »
I would say it is "tacky".   :-\

Bad taste.   :-\
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2015, 18:58:07 »
Curious what you folks think of a political candidate wearing medals while campaigning (Tim Laidler).

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/21/terry-fox-family-denies-support-for-tory-promise.html

My, very personal, opinion is: it's in bad taste ... but, then, he's running for a seat in our House of Commons where, as far as I know, good taste is not highly valued.

----------

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2015, 21:08:09 »
First thought was "just showing off", but if he has mentioned his service in public on record, then I don't see how wearing his medals changes anything.  If someone would be swayed by them, they would have been swayed by him saying "I was in the military doing xyz".
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline Danjanou

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2015, 21:12:31 »

If memory serves and somewhere in this thread http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,99042.0.html are the details. Every sitting MP and Senator in 2012 was awarded/received a QDJM in addition to those they were allotted to hand out. So a lot could be wearing bling as they campaign. If it is considered tacky  then as Mr. Campbell many are applying for a position where tacky is often a asset.

NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2015, 22:08:27 »
Looks like a CD as well as GCS(SWA) curious if he still has the ISAF bar attached or a roto bar.  The middle one might be a Beiber too.

Offline Danjanou

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2015, 22:22:54 »
Looks like a CD as well as GCS(SWA) curious if he still has the ISAF bar attached or a roto bar.  The middle one might be a Beiber too.

his Bio, http://www.timlaidler.ca/media/

he has both the GSC(SWA) and the QDJM

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2015, 00:04:44 »
He is in a catch 22.  He will be damned by vets for Not showing pride in his service, and pandering to Party PA officers if he does not wear them.

He wears them, and we admonish him for it, arguments aplenty; why?

Politics is war, and the one that stands is the one with the most votes.  I would rather have him use that technique and get in to parliament, than some local owner of the Cat food superstore. (I made that one up)

Good on him!
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.