Author Topic: VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight  (Read 295377 times)

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight
« Reply #550 on: April 10, 2018, 19:42:47 »
Which l said to be fair, he was dressed correctly for his last assignment.  But again l ask, don't officers at this level look after each other at all, or is it every officer for himself? As l am not of that world, l don't know. 

I would like to think that were he a Chief, one of his wingers would have looked out for him.

We of the Wardroom do look out for each other or at least I try to. I've seen enough cluster***k disasters in the officer corps that I try my best to ensure people look professional when they are stepping out.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #551 on: April 10, 2018, 19:57:47 »
We of the Wardroom do look out for each other or at least I try to. I've seen enough cluster***k disasters in the officer corps that I try my best to ensure people look professional when they are stepping out.

That is good to hear that in your world, mess mates look after each other.

As a young guy l had a taste of your world while doing phase training in Gagetown as a Reserve Artillery OCdt.  The fellows l was with were mostly RMC and were not looking after each other, the atmosphere was poisonous.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 20:35:31 by jollyjacktar »

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #552 on: April 10, 2018, 20:12:34 »

As a young guy l had a taste of your world while doing phase training in Gagetown as a Reserve Artillery OCdt.  The fellows l were mostly RMC and were not looking after each other, the atmosphere was poisonous.

The ring knockers are a different breed for sure!  ;D

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #553 on: April 11, 2018, 11:08:00 »
The ring knockers are a different breed for sure!  ;D

We may take Sunday's toast a bit too literally...
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2018, 09:19:23 »

As a young guy l had a taste of your world while doing phase training in Gagetown as a Reserve Artillery OCdt.  The fellows l was with were mostly RMC and were not looking after each other, the atmosphere was poisonous.

The lucky Cbt Arms RESO OCdts managed to go to Gagetown outside of the summer course schedule so they could work with the DEO mob. The rest of us suffered through the extra character building experience ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #555 on: April 12, 2018, 09:47:33 »

That is weird. I was once an OCTP Artillery Officer who did the summer phase 2 course with the RMC crowd. My experience could not have been more different- we were all united in our hatred of the course staff!

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2018, 09:53:11 »

I can only imagine that it must be different for GOFOs. 

I have detected an increasing trend of infantilizing our senior people.  I have seen up close how demanding their schedules can be, compounded by the sheer scope and scale of the issues we expect them to contend with (mostly because we do not delegate low enough, and believe that every issue must be touched by every GO).  As such, there is certainly value to providing the necessary support to manage all of that, but it sometimes appears that we have gone a step too far, and essentially made them increasingly reliant on the support network...and when that goes away, the adjustment must be difficult

Just a thought
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:20 »
Also no name tag.

No longer needs one.  Everybody in the whole country knows his name!
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #558 on: April 12, 2018, 10:46:20 »
Actually, he is wearing a number 1A: No name tags unless specified by the commander.

As for the metal vs. cloth SSI: How would  he have known to change and got a proper one? He has been told to stay home, even though still in the service, for the last year and a half.

And really, except for a few obtuse ones of us, how many Canadians would know any of the difference? Or care?

They see him in full uniform with medals - that's what counts to them: He is making the statement "I am a top defence "soldier" of Canada, you try to impeach my honour at your own risk when it comes to putting Canada first".

The regulation concerning not wearing nametags with N1 orders of dress was rescinded a long, long, long time ago.  Nametags are now required with all orders of dress, except ceremonial orders (which the Navy does not have) and Mess Dress.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #559 on: April 12, 2018, 10:51:43 »
No longer needs one.  Everybody in the whole country knows his name!

:rofl: Very true.  You win this one kind sir! lol
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

jollyjacktar

« Reply #560 on: April 12, 2018, 11:33:00 »
At a sub section meeting we were told the following, which came from the top.  For all uniformed personnel, we are not to comment on this subject in social media.  Civilians within the department are encouraged to refrain from commenting as well. 

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #561 on: April 12, 2018, 11:45:09 »
At a sub section meeting we were told the following, which came from the top.  For all uniformed personnel, we are not to comment on this subject in social media.  Civilians within the department are encouraged to refrain from commenting as well.

I'm surprised it took this long for that directive to be made. Maybe a NAVGEN is in order?

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #562 on: April 12, 2018, 13:08:22 »
maybe he chose to go with the cloth as it stands out more.....
“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #563 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:26 »

I'm sorry, but are they suggesting you could comment if, for example, you were dressed like Yoassarian at his medal ceremony?
Living the lean life

jollyjacktar

« Reply #564 on: April 15, 2018, 12:06:04 »
I'm sorry, but are they suggesting you could comment if, for example, you were dressed like Yoassarian at his medal ceremony?

:rofl:  That might be a nice Catch 22.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #565 on: April 15, 2018, 12:57:42 »
I'm surprised it took this long for that directive to be made. Maybe a NAVGEN is in order?
Be an interesting message. "Support and trust your chain of command, but don't do it for this guy."

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #566 on: April 15, 2018, 15:33:54 »
Be an interesting message. "Support and trust your chain of command, but don't do it for this guy."
Mixed Messaging R Us

jollyjacktar

« Reply #567 on: May 15, 2018, 06:51:31 »
He is heading back to court and a legal defence fund has raised money on his behalf.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-court-costs-1.4662223

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #568 on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:44 »
He is heading back to court and a legal defence fund has raised money on his behalf.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-court-costs-1.4662223

Against my better judgement I went to the comment section.  :facepalm:

I think that this is all on Scott Brison (MP for Kings-Hants NS). Project Resolve embarrassed him in front of his Irving benefactors.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #569 on: May 15, 2018, 09:51:51 »

I think that this is all on Scott Brison (MP for Kings-Hants NS). Project Resolve embarrassed him in front of his Irving benefactors.

Ask yourself who holds the riding where Davie is located versus where Irving is located. I think the answer speaks for itself.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #570 on: May 15, 2018, 09:55:11 »
One remark in the comments caught my eye:
"Henein will chew these fools up if they are stupid enough to allow it to go to trial."

One can only hope.  :)

Offline c_canuk

• Rate Post
« Reply #571 on: May 15, 2018, 10:33:54 »

You weren't kidding...

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #572 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:08 »
Ask yourself who holds the riding where Davie is located versus where Irving is located. I think the answer speaks for itself.

That's what boils my butt about all of this. Its never ever about capability, its always about pork barrel politics.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #573 on: May 15, 2018, 13:16:33 »
It's also about Irving's perspective that they're the only company that can, and should build ships in Canada.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #574 on: May 15, 2018, 16:11:10 »
It's also about Irving's perspective that they're the only company that can, and should build ships in Canada.

An argument I could buy if and only if Irving itself stopped building and buying ships for their own fleet abroad - which is not the case: For themselves, they go for cheaper overseas builds. If you own a shipyard and don't even bother building your own ships, why should the taxpayer build at your place?

The fact is Irving never bought the Halifax shipyard with the expectation that it would be building ships after completion of the MCDV's. They bought it to have a refit yard for their own ships - no more. The small contract they got for the Coast Guard's mid-shore patrol vessels - built under the old yard's set up - was not exactly a glowing success.

And now they lucked out and have stumbled into the biggest shipbuilding contract in Canadian history, likely only because at the time, Davie was out of contention (just coming out of bankruptcy protection and as a result, applying at the last minute only for the "non-combatants" program).