Author Topic: "Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"  (Read 62151 times)

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: "Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2018, 10:39:17 »
That's pretty much debating SOPs. Hitler racist settler blah blah
The first 3 of 4 examples you give have pretty straight forward beliefs and views.  Islamophobia is a BS scare tactic. The word doesn't even have an official meaning and is so ambiguous it can include simple (and legitimate) criticism.

Seen. But I think you see where I was trying to go with that. Just because I want to ask reasonable questions or challenge positions held by a certain group or community, doesn't mean I automatically side with their opponents.

For example, if I question corrupt, disgraceful, stupid and brutal behaviour by certain police officers, it doesn't mean "I hate the police". After all, I'm a middle-aged, middle class, property-owning, Scotch-drinking white male. I pretty much like law and order.  I support the police: I just want them to behave.

Or, on the other end, if I question why a certain community in a certain city seems to account for 98% of its gun homicides and drive-by shootings, and I don't automatically accept the premise that it's because they're "oppressed", now I'm a "racist".

Where is wisdom and judgement in all this?

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2018, 11:00:33 »
I support the police: I just want them to behave.

It can get expensive for taxpayers.

From 2013,

Toronto police paid $27 million in lawsuit claims
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/10/11/toronto_police_paid_27_million_in_lawsuit_claims.html

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2018, 11:20:03 »
See also: Baltimore.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:31 »
I want to go on record as having no intentions of starting a police-bashing thread.... ::)
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2018, 13:56:20 »
Seen. But I think you see where I was trying to go with that. Just because I want to ask reasonable questions or challenge positions held by a certain group or community, doesn't mean I automatically side with their opponents.

For example, if I question corrupt, disgraceful, stupid and brutal behaviour by certain police officers, it doesn't mean "I hate the police". After all, I'm a middle-aged, middle class, property-owning, Scotch-drinking white male. I pretty much like law and order.  I support the police: I just want them to behave.

Or, on the other end, if I question why a certain community in a certain city seems to account for 98% of its gun homicides and drive-by shootings, and I don't automatically accept the premise that it's because they're "oppressed", now I'm a "racist".

Where is wisdom and judgement in all this?

Unequivocally agree.  I do see where you were going with that. People that ask legitimate questions are quickly called out for being racist, prejudiced, nazi etc..  Facts are racist.

The new CANFORGEN that just came out on this stuff was an interesting read for sure.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2018, 07:14:59 »
...Facts are racist...

I don't agree with that, exactly, If racism is the belief that one racial group is inherently superior or inferior to others, or that behaviours are determined by race (a set of physical characteristics), then I don't think facts are "racist". The dangerous implication there is that the basis of racism is factual, which IMHO it isn't.

What facts are, often, is "inconvenient". Facts can cause embarrassing questions, or demolish poorly constructed arguments. So, for example, if you say "the police are all heroes who can do no wrong", or " (XYZ racial group) have no choice but to turn to violent crime because of oppression and discrimination", then I think that facts will soon be very inconvenient for you.