Author Topic: The US Presidency 2019  (Read 144151 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: The US Presidency 2019
« Reply #975 on: December 31, 2019, 15:50:25 »
The guy in the White House needs a powerful distraction, and Iran stupidly just gave it to him.

More like the Dems need a distraction from their FUBAR impeachment attempt.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #976 on: December 31, 2019, 17:07:47 »
More like the Dems need a distraction from their FUBAR impeachment attempt.

It wasn't an "attempt", it was successful.  Impeachment is the charge; the conviction is a separate thing.  Clinton was impeached but not convicted. 

Definition from the US Senate website: 

"If a federal official commits a crime or otherwise acts improperly, the House of Representatives may impeach—formally charge—that official. If the official subsequently is convicted in a Senate impeachment trial, he is removed from office."

https://www.senate.gov/reference/Index/Impeachment.htm

“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #977 on: January 01, 2020, 01:05:21 »
Opinion is divided as to whether Trump has been impeached yet, since the House has not yet voted to send the articles to the Senate.  But I'm sure we'll get there.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #978 on: January 01, 2020, 17:18:46 »
Opinion is divided as to whether Trump has been impeached yet, since the House has not yet voted to send the articles to the Senate.  But I'm sure we'll get there.

The House has voted to impeach on December 19th, so he has been "impeached".

Pelosi has not yet sent the articles of impeachment over to the Senate. That's a different matter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50840934

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #979 on: January 01, 2020, 19:52:50 »

I am sure the GOP is anxious to get this done and over with.  Pelosi knows that and will use that as leverage to ensure that the process isn’t just a formality.

By waiting, the President can’t claim exoneration by the senate.  Now it might hurt the dems but it seems they are willing to take the risk.
Optio

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #980 on: January 01, 2020, 19:59:09 »
Apparently if it moves to the senate and hearings commence, then several key Democratic Senators will not be able to campaign during that time during a critical election year. Self inflicted wound it appears.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #981 on: January 01, 2020, 20:07:19 »
We have a whole new decade so I've opened a new topic for the US Presidency 2020.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #982 on: January 01, 2020, 22:00:16 »
>The House has voted to impeach on December 19th, so he has been "impeached".

Your mere assertion doesn't negate the opinions to the contrary, expressed by people who know law and government in the US and including some who are not habitual Trump fans.  Example.

Despair is a sin.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #983 on: January 01, 2020, 22:05:33 »
>I am sure the GOP is anxious to get this done and over with.

For values of "the GOP" not including Mitch McConnell.  He seems content to continue conducting other Senate business while Pelosi seeks whatever political advantage she can from this formerly urgent business of doing the right thing without regard for political advantage.

Despair is a sin.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #984 on: January 01, 2020, 23:01:08 »
For values of "the GOP" not including Mitch McConnell.  He seems content to continue conducting other Senate business while Pelosi seeks whatever political advantage she can from this formerly urgent business of doing the right thing without regard for political advantage.

12/19/19

Democratic senators tweet photos of pile of House-passed bills 'dead on Mitch McConnell's desk'
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/475346-democratic-senators-tweet-photos-of-pile-of-house-passed-bills-dead-on-mitch

Democratic senators have been taking to social media to share photos of a pile of hundreds of bipartisan House-passed bills that still await action in the Senate as tensions continue to flare over the pace of legislation in the chamber.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 23:06:48 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #985 on: January 02, 2020, 07:31:00 »

What Senate business?  They won't even debate an issue that may anger the President.  They have literally refused to do their job, in order to protect their jobs.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #986 on: January 02, 2020, 08:32:54 »

Yes God old Mitch, as he stated loud and clear is his taking his orders from Trump. The Speaker of the House has no chance of a proper Hearing without first getting fair rules of procedure determined.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:51:39 by Baden Guy »

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #987 on: January 02, 2020, 08:38:40 »
In a country of 300 million it seems they cannot find anyone capable of uniting the country. Astounding.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #988 on: January 02, 2020, 11:05:55 »
And you never will again.....why would any person of decent character put themselves, thier family/loved ones, and every person they've ever been friends with in the past through the media meat grinder?

"Here's $20,000, say something bad about XXXXXXXXXX for us."
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #989 on: January 02, 2020, 12:33:27 »
>What Senate business?

Judicial nominations.  Whatever fiscal stuff the two bodies can agree on.  Probably none of the House posturing bills that contain poison pills.

Despair is a sin.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #990 on: January 02, 2020, 12:36:49 »
>The Speaker of the House has no chance of a proper Hearing without first getting fair rules of procedure determined.

The Speaker of the House yielded that high ground by running such a tightly scripted investigation.  The House didn't want to test its claims against the administration's claims in court, so it's up to the Senate to do it for them?  What a laugh.

Despair is a sin.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #991 on: January 02, 2020, 13:09:55 »
>The Speaker of the House has no chance of a proper Hearing without first getting fair rules of procedure determined.

The Speaker of the House yielded that high ground by running such a tightly scripted investigation.  The House didn't want to test its claims against the administration's claims in court, so it's up to the Senate to do it for them?  What a laugh.

Given that the WH stated it would not cooperate with the investigation, spent millions on Facebook ads to discredit the process and senators like Lindsey Graham stating that he would not pretend to be a fair juror I can see why Pelosi would try and set some conditions even though it is a forgone conclusion.

Not sure how one yields the high ground when the opponent insists on staying in the sewers.
Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #992 on: January 02, 2020, 16:01:07 »
>Not sure how one yields the high ground when the opponent insists on staying in the sewers.

Perhaps by not descending into the sewers with them?  Hold a floor vote to launch the impeachment investigation instead of just declaring one.  Go to court to challenge claims of executive privilege instead of bleating about "obstruction".  Allow members of the committees of both parties to ask whatever questions they want.  Don't assert that people whose testimony you want to hear should be present while at the same time declining to hear from people whose testimony would be inconvenient.  Clear the air by getting testimony on record from committee members and their staff members as to whether their was collusion between House and/or staff members and people bringing complaints, while also provided all requested documents.  Etc.

Despair is a sin.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #993 on: January 02, 2020, 16:33:42 »
Sometimes fun to take a look back. This is from New Year's Day 2019,

: the people who voted for Trump and will vote for him or his surrogate again, in 2020 and in 2024 and beyond, don't care about the data because it doesn't address their issues, their feelings.

ERC makes an interesting point.
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #994 on: January 02, 2020, 19:31:35 »
Not particularly.  Politics is entirely about feelings and ideas and issues of heart and culture, and very little about data. 

Despair is a sin.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #995 on: January 02, 2020, 22:37:31 »
Locking this one up, Happy New Year! Here's the 2020 thread: https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,131695.0.html