Author Topic: Active Shooter / Hostile Event ( ASHE ) prevention / response  (Read 35952 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Active Shooter / Hostile Event ( ASHE ) prevention / response
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:41 »
Fire is still a far greater threat to life and limb, statistically, than mass shootings. It would make sense to design buildings accordingly, which I think most of them already are.

I think what our emergency services are considering is having large masses herded into crowded and confined hallways. Moving along a straight corridor in mass during an ASHE.

Pulling the fire alarm in a school or high-rise could 
unlock every door in the building (or at least the stair towers).

Victims could be channeled into crowded and predictable avenues of egress where they can be intercepted and shot. Or targeted at the designated assembly point.

It's not just schools and buildings that require planning.

For open air festivals they recommend perimeter fences, roving police patrols, drones, security cameras, social media monitoring, bag checks, metal detectors, restricted entry and an “overwatch” police unit that monitors the event from a high perch.

August, 2019

Mass Casualty Trauma Triage Paradigms and Pitfalls
https://www.jems.com/articles/news/2019/08/report-mass-casualty-trauma-triage-paradigms-and-pitfalls.html

The report suggests the traditional triage approach used by paramedics for decades is no longer feasible to effectively respond to ASHE.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:11:52 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2019, 10:19:13 »
NYPD's Counter Terrorism Unit, Tweets about NYC's first day of school.
https://twitter.com/NYPDCT/status/1169344639599554561

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2019, 10:22:03 »
NYPD's Counter Terrorism Unit, Tweets about NYC's first day of school.
https://twitter.com/NYPDCT/status/1169344639599554561
IMHO inappropriate in conjunction with back to school. Different scene in the U.S. I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2019, 07:03:19 »
This (19-minute podcast) from the NJ DHS ...
Mental illnesses are extremely common; mass violence is not. Despite the fear and public scrutiny, mass shootings are statistically rare events. But it is hard for most people to imagine that a mentally healthy person would deliberately commit an act of mass murder; thus, it is often assumed that the perpetrators of mass violence must be mentally ill. There is a tendency to overuse mental health problems as an explanation for violence, but the relationship is far more complex than typically presented. While there is a modest link between mental illness and violence, there is no basis for a generalized fear of people with mental illness. Having a mental illness does not predispose someone to violence of any type, and certainly not mass violence. 

In our Season Four finale, Steve Crimando of the New Jersey Department of Human Services’ Disaster and Terrorism Branch joins us again to unpack this complicated relationship and offer insights into the programs and resources that address both mental health and mass violence in the State ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2019, 09:02:32 »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-church-shooting-latest-jack-wilson-suspect-keith-thomas-kinnunen-white-settlement-fort-worth-a9265041.html

Man brought a shotgun (I think I read) to a crowded church of over 200 and started shooting. Within 6 seconds he already killed 2 but another man, a firearms instructor, stood up and shot him once putting an end to the shooting and undoubtedly saving many more lives.

6 seconds is a pretty solid response time to end a shooting.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2019, 09:32:25 »
Saw the video. Single head shot from 15-20 metres away, then other armed guys swarm toward the perpetrator.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2019, 09:39:27 »
Saw the video. Single head shot from 15-20 metres away, then other armed guys swarm toward the perpetrator.

I've seen the video as well. One hell of a shot.

Saves an expensive trial and lengthy incarceration.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2019, 12:31:15 »
On one hand, you can applaud the use of firearms to end a situation with a rampaging gunman.

On the other hand, you can lament the fact that the average American needs to be armed in a church, a school, or a waffle house to ensure they are safe from rampaging gunmen.  I'll take Canada over that any day.
+1,200
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2019, 15:10:18 »
Not to sound morbid, just professionally curious.

Is the video of him responding in the news link??  It kept jumbling around while loading various ads, I couldn't find it.  If it's there, I'll take another look.  Sounds worth watching.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2019, 15:28:01 »
Not to sound morbid, just professionally curious.

Is the video of him responding in the news link??  It kept jumbling around while loading various ads, I couldn't find it.  If it's there, I'll take another look.  Sounds worth watching.

This link is about the machete attack oin New York but some two paras down contains an uncut version of the shooting in Texas.

https://pluralist.com/granfton-thomas-hate-crimes-jews-friends-say-hes-not-violent/49999/?fbclid=IwAR0D0AgMuxO4PGg8FZJB7wDhqpMCVLpIjgETEvdUDlcbLTlblmhLbKvDgeA

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/