Author Topic: First Aid / CPR training and certification  (Read 104351 times)

Offline PQLUR

• Banned
  • Rate Post
DOAD, First Aid and CPR Training
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 14:24:57 »
Does anyone have a link or electronic copy of the DOAD for First Aid & CPR?
When in doubt empty the magazine.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Re: DOAD, First Aid and CPR Training
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 14:30:01 »
The DAOD has been superseded. If you want a copy of the new training standards, I can send them to you. PM me with your address.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline old medic

• Medical Forum Moderator
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 14:34:03 »
What specifically are you looking for. As mentioned, the DAOD is gone.
re-answering vision questions since 2004.

Offline PQLUR

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 14:45:58 »
What specifically are you looking for. As mentioned, the DAOD is gone.

Thanks, "Old Medic" . . I'll wait and see what 211RadOp sends me. (basically need anything that is similar to the DOAD)
When in doubt empty the magazine.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 14:56:14 »
On the way
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline TikiTak

• Rate Post
Re: Military First Aid Training
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 22:42:46 »
I got a certificate before I left camp. It's also recored in your file, just go to your OR and ask them.

Offline flight-corporal-08

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 22:04:04 »
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian? :cdn:

aesop081

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 22:33:34 »
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian? :cdn:

Yes

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 22:48:43 »
To expand on what CDN Aviator said everything you learned in cadets will have to be retaught to you when you do BMQ because that's the way the Training Plan is written.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 22:56:05 »
And to expand on Sapper, you'll be learning other stuff as well not taught on civvy courses.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:36 »
Another point:  Your certificate is not good for Life, so you will have to take the course several times in your lifetime to remain qualified.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 14:02:07 »

to add the military teaches Standard first aid, it is to a higher level then the one you have.
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 21:19:10 »
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian?

Now this brought back an amusing memory of a fellow recruit at Cornwallis asking a similiar question of an instructor.  IIRC, the individual had also received training in cadets, but he didn't learn the important rule that there are indeed stupid questions.  The instructor replied rather benevolently at first, saying that he didn't see a problem as the recruit obviously knew everything that he needed to know.  The instructor continued, saying that his concern was with the recruit's fellow coursemates and perhaps the recruit should remain with the class and ensure that they were properly trained as he would need someone to give him first aid because if he asked any more questions like that, he (the instructor) would rip off his head and crap down his neck.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline EW

• Rate Post
Question on St. John Ambulance and Red Cross courses
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 20:44:30 »
I am researching first aid training for a group of civilians, and have an honest question; is there a general perception amongst Medical Branch folks as to which 'generally' has the better first aid programs - St John Ambulance or the Canadian Red Cross? 

The intended audience would have to operate in isolated camps, where they may not get very timely response for anything other than air ambulance.  So I have been looking at the "First Responder" courses that both the Red Cross and St. John Ambulance offer.  I'm sure that people have likely had good and bad experiences with both, but I'd be interested in hearing any professional opinions.

Regards.

Offline medic45

• Rate Post
Re: Question on St. John Ambulance and Red Cross courses
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 01:55:31 »
I would say go with the Red Cross course.  They have a long established 40 hour first responder course and recently a newer 80 hour emergency medical responder course.  I am personally not a fan of the SJA coures.  They are too fragmented and don't at all teach a comprehensive approach to pt management, simply a disconnected list of skills.  The EMR course is a significant investment in time and money but is quite comprehensive.  If you are dealing with very green people you may want to keep it simple and go with the 40 hour first responder course. 

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 02:49:22 »
I'll come in as a Red Cross Instructor and offer my biased 0.02.

Red Cross depending on where you go and which authorized provider you are with, you will get varying degrees of training just like SJA. By varying degrees I don't mean that the skills won't be the same, I just mean that the instructors' skill experience and overall patient contact and experience will effect how they teach the courses.

That being said, Red Cross generally have pretty good courses, and with a large number of instructors with health care backgrounds. The Instructor Trainers are all extremely experienced, at least out here in BC, and they don't pass Instructors lightly.

Now from what you're saying and by your description, you want a Wilderness Advanced First Aid training from the Red Cross. This course will teach you all the skills necessary to employ WAFA in the wilderness and remote locations. What are some of the things taught on this? Well you'll have to learn all the same skills as a First Responder on top of other things such as fluid and food intake calculation so that your patients will not have to urinate or defecate that much, thus minimalizing movement to any possible injuries, or illnesses that has reduced the patient to limited activities.

This also includes how to utilize the surroundings and what you have to aide and take care of your patient instead of just thinking with a jump kit, or a first-aid bag. Let me know where you're from EW, if you're out here on the West Coast the company I work for is the ONLY company that teaches Red Cross First Responders in B.C. and the instructors teaching it has close to 40 years experience in the Paramedical field, and the assistant instructors are either instructors in other Red Cross fields or experienced First Responders themselves.

Shoot me a PM and let me know.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline medic45

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 03:11:48 »
Do you work for Maple Ridge First Aid?  They teach all the red cross first responder courses.

Offline EW

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 11:15:39 »
Thanks forall that. I'm located outside Ottawa, so there are strong offices for both organizations.  Appreciate the answers, and for some context, as I continue the research.  Thanks again!

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 13:29:31 »
Do you work for Maple Ridge First Aid?  They teach all the red cross first responder courses.

No I teach for Emergency services Institute. As far as I know we're the only one that teaches FR on a regular basis, and regular meaning every 2 months. I haven't met any FRs or EMRs from that school, so I can't really comment on them :).

Offline VRC

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 21:31:43 »
Hi there - sorry that I picked up this thread so late.  SJA & CRC are extremely similar in that, at a Standard FA level, they both meet the needs of the various provincial compensation boards(with the exception of BC).  At an advanced level, they have become similar again, although SJA has more experience in providing that level of care.  They have 24-hour, 40-hour, or 80-hour Medical First Responder course.  The 80-hour can meet Paramedic Assoc. of Canada requirements.  I don't know if CRC's 80-hour course does but they'd be foolish if it didn't.
If you're interested in teaching the public yourself, CRC gives you better options; being an authorized provider with Red Cross is much more flexible than teaching for SJA.

As regards content, the person who commented that SJA seems to be fragmented doesn't seem to know where SJA is coming from.  Since you can't pick your next casualty or your next emergency, SJA tries to give you a wide range of skills.  Where they fail is that since their courses are modular, they need to tell their clients that they have some choice in content. 

Having taught for both agencies, I think that I see the differences in approach &, although I still teach for SJA, acknowledge that the differnce really lies with the instructor, not the organization.

VRC

Offline Hawky225

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 22:50:07 »
I've got my NLS certs and SFA + CPR C. Will those quals count for anything?

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 23:16:44 »
Long and short - not really.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
First AId Training and Standards
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 16:05:53 »
Reference: CMP Instruction 11/06 - First Aid and CPR Training
  - ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 02/05 - Automated External Defibrillator Usage
  - DND Special Centre First Aid
  - DCoPS FAI and FAIT threads
  - SJA Intranet

Before starting this topic I did a search. While there are a number of posts on this topic, no thread discusses the area of first aid training, the quality of it and the standards of first aid training. I have provided the references above to link those who know the issues and to help everyone to else to know that the FA program is now voluntary vice professional as it once was.

As this thread is for training and standards, most posts would be from FAI (First Aid Instructors) or FAIT (First Aid Instructor Trainers). Other comments are constructive input on what FAI and FAITs can action within the above refs.

I have a topic in mind start with, but I want to hear how this thread is received.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
Re: First AId Training and Standards
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 16:20:21 »
I don't quite understand where you're going with this Kratz.

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: First AId Training and Standards
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2008, 16:36:47 »
In many topics I have read the moan and groaning of people about first aid and that it does not meet what they want. So I am opening a discussion from FAI and FAITs on the courses they are instructing and in a secondary role, providing an answer to questions that pers may have.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have topics in mind:
- SJA or CRC ? This comes up each fall for review due to TB issues.
- Transfer of skills when posted? Both RCR and SJA are nationally recognized, but what are the experiences after a move?

I know one base wants you to have HCP before becoming a FAI. I know another base that you could pull teeth and not be allowed to be  qualified as an AMFR Instructor. I know Gagetown wants FAI to be AMFR1 qualified before their ICP.

These are the topics that I was hoping to talk about in the thread. With other knowledgeable pers.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.