Author Topic: F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)  (Read 1771832 times)

Offline Dana381

• Rate Post
Re: F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)
« Reply #4575 on: June 30, 2020, 12:05:28 »
Interesting article outlining the F-35 costs and parts availability struggles. I get the feeling the site is very pro F-35 but it was still an interesting read.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/ten-reasons-why-f-35-remains-worlds-dominant-stealth-fighter-163723

I think the Trudeau and the Liberals know that it is the right fighter for Canada and they are waiting till the next election. If they win they will order it and tout the cost savings because the price has dropped so much. If they lose the Conservatives can order it and they can oppose it with all the rhetoric they used to cancel it in the first place. Win - Win for the Liberal party.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4576 on: June 30, 2020, 12:14:41 »
Interesting article outlining the F-35 costs and parts availability struggles. I get the feeling the site is very pro F-35 but it was still an interesting read.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/ten-reasons-why-f-35-remains-worlds-dominant-stealth-fighter-163723

I think the Trudeau and the Liberals know that it is the right fighter for Canada and they are waiting till the next election. If they win they will order it and tout the cost savings because the price has dropped so much. If they lose the Conservatives can order it and they can oppose it with all the rhetoric they used to cancel it in the first place. Win - Win for the Liberal party.

Many of us weren't pro F35 at first but as this procurement dragged on the situation changed more in the F35s favour, like cost for example. We really need to pick an aircraft soon, especially for economic recovery to get Canadian companies those industrial benefits.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Dana381

• Rate Post
« Reply #4577 on: June 30, 2020, 12:40:43 »
Many of us weren't pro F35 at first but as this procurement dragged on the situation changed more in the F35s favour, like cost for example. We really need to pick an aircraft soon, especially for economic recovery to get Canadian companies those industrial benefits.

I'm one of the ones that was not pro F-35 in the beginning. The facts have changed my mind! The first things I heard about it was how bad it was in various areas and how expensive it was. Mainly from anti F-35 sources.

I still wish it was a 2 engine fighter, no matter how much more reliable this engine is than previous engines redundancy is still safer. The air-frame and engine incorporate redundancy's for safety sake, how much safer would it be with two engines? Rhetoric question, I'm not trying to reopen the debate just sharing my opinion.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #4578 on: June 30, 2020, 12:52:41 »
...I still wish it was a 2 engine fighter, no matter how much more reliable this engine is than previous engines redundancy is still safer. The air-frame and engine incorporate redundancy's for safety sake, how much safer would it be with two engines? Rhetoric question, I'm not trying to reopen the debate just sharing my opinion.

The reliability has been addressed ad nauseum.  What is someone’s ’enhanced reliability’ is another person’s ’increased probability for something to go wrong.’  Imagine if a bunch of civilians tried to convince Kelly Johnson to put a second engine in the U-2 because it was ‘safer’....

F-16 has done just fine with one engine for decades and decades, and the F-35 balances reliability with reduced propulsion complexity (less the 35B lift-fan modified version of the PW135) in the same way as the multi-role light fighter that the F-16 was in its era.

So the. you’re a Super Hornet only guy, no F-35, no Gripen, due to the single engine?

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4579 on: June 30, 2020, 13:04:42 »
The original Single Engine fanclub was in no small part a rearguard action to prevent Canada from buying the cheaper F-16, and to steer the decision space to the preferred outcome of the F-15.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4580 on: June 30, 2020, 13:10:35 »

Have you read any other National Interest articles? They've been very critical of the F-35 in the past and posted articles supporting the Gripen's development...

Offline Dana381

• Rate Post
« Reply #4581 on: July 01, 2020, 12:57:59 »
Have you read any other National Interest articles? They've been very critical of the F-35 in the past and posted articles supporting the Gripen's development...

I was unaware of that, I have only recently read their articles and only when I see them re-posted on other sites. It is not a site I frequent. My comment was based purely on the way that article was written. I can't explain why but I just got the sense the writer was a fan by he way the article was written. It just didn't feel impartial.

So the. you’re a Super Hornet only guy, no F-35, no Gripen, due to the single engine?

No I am wholly in the F-35 camp because of it's capability, I just wish that capability came with two engines.

:cdn: Happy Canada Day All!  :cdn:

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #4582 on: July 02, 2020, 02:25:40 »

Very true, I do worry that the F35 is very dependent on not being seen to early, giving it an edge. But there are a lot of smart people working to counter that, so if it loses it's stealth edge and the networking edge is also eroded, then can it compete?

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4583 on: July 02, 2020, 02:55:16 »
That's a good question.  Curious to hear some opinions on that, especially Supersonic Max & whoever else may be knowledgeable.

Let's say in 5 or 10 years time, Russian and Chinese systems have caught up.  The F-35 loses it's stealth advantage, and it's advanced sensors/EW systems are eroded by them fielding systems that can adequately mitigate the advantages the F-35 has currently.

Is it still the best choice?

I'd believe so, as the software & capabilities of the F-35 will continue to evolve also.  The capabilities it has today aren't the same capabilities it will have in the same 5 to 10 year time-frame
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4584 on: July 02, 2020, 07:32:21 »
What is the role of the RCAF ? It has a NORAD mission but not necessarily a ground attack mission or support of ground troops. The F15 a two engine aircraft can perform NORAD missions. The A10 can do that. I can see the USAF need for the F35 but not the RCAF. The F15 has an strike version which might be more in keeping with likely scenarios.

F15x

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a22563768/super-eagle-f-15x/#:~:text=A%20new%20report%20reveals%20details%20on%20the%20F-15X%2C,considerably%20cheaper%20to%20fly%20during%20than%20other%20fighters.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:58:51 by tomahawk6 »

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4585 on: July 02, 2020, 09:32:30 »
That's a good question.  Curious to hear some opinions on that, especially Supersonic Max & whoever else may be knowledgeable.

Let's say in 5 or 10 years time, Russian and Chinese systems have caught up.  The F-35 loses it's stealth advantage, and it's advanced sensors/EW systems are eroded by them fielding systems that can adequately mitigate the advantages the F-35 has currently.

Is it still the best choice?

I'd believe so, as the software & capabilities of the F-35 will continue to evolve also.  The capabilities it has today aren't the same capabilities it will have in the same 5 to 10 year time-frame

Great thing about technology is, it evolves, they find a way to detect us, we step up the EW game to remain unseen until its too late.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #4586 on: July 02, 2020, 18:03:17 »
The reality is no one who really knows is going to say how big the gap is and even if they have a good understanding of our side of the EW fence, they may not know as much as they think about the other side.

Personally I think the F35 brings a lot to the table in regards to EW, but how long does that edge last? In a perfect world I would like to see a mixed fleet, so the F35 do their EW thing and the other aircraft do most of the fighting and bombing of annoying groups of farmers, religious nutbars and drug lords.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #4587 on: July 02, 2020, 23:37:25 »
The reality is no one who really knows is going to say how big the gap is and even if they have a good understanding of our side of the EW fence, they may not know as much as they think about the other side.

Personally I think the F35 brings a lot to the table in regards to EW, but how long does that edge last? In a perfect world I would like to see a mixed fleet, so the F35 do their EW thing and the other aircraft do most of the fighting and bombing of annoying groups of farmers, religious nutbars and drug lords.

Are you predicting a revolt breaking out in the Republic of Alberta or something? ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #4588 on: July 03, 2020, 00:14:44 »
My understanding is that Northern Alberta, Soon to be declared Republic of Tuffnell and the Fantasians are forming an alliance.

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4589 on: July 03, 2020, 00:48:47 »
Are you predicting a revolt breaking out in the Republic of Alberta or something? ;)

Hahaha!!  I'm born & raised Alberta, how dare you call us out for what we are!!   :tsktsk:   ;)

I'm offended.  You forgot to be inclusive of the imbred morons driving pick-up trucks, who can only work in oil & gas, who apparently 'can't learn' any other skills.  It's 2020, can't be excluding anybody.  Don't ya know? 
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #4590 on: July 05, 2020, 11:26:44 »

Hahaha!!  I'm born & raised Alberta, how dare you call us out for what we are!!   :tsktsk:   ;)

I'm offended.  You forgot to be inclusive of the imbred morons driving pick-up trucks (with Truck-testicles danging off the rear bumper), who can only work in oil & gas, who apparently 'can't learn' any other skills.  It's 2020, can't be excluding anybody.  Don't ya know?

There, FTFY :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon