Author Topic: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)  (Read 370756 times)

Offline Tyriel

• <~Army Reservist~>
  • Banned
  • Rate Post
  • <-Trooper l McCarthy-> Nulli Secundus
    • Scribd
Re: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)
« Reply #325 on: January 14, 2011, 13:49:35 »
I found this online. Thought it was interesting but its the PO 101 Rank Structure for Staff. Might be useful for those not on SQ yet but will be on it.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/40084548/101-06-MK-32

P.S I didn't upload this.. Only found it.
- Strategically speaking, when annihilating a small number of enemies, the best plan is to cut of his retreat path and shower him with bullets. In this case, the commanders decision to surround and destroy the enemy was in fact technically correct.... However... You should never take action without fully understanding your enemy's potential.. -

Offline denimboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2011, 08:38:17 »
Just making sure, once BMQ-L is done and you are posted, does the following infantry courses require you to stay 24/7 on base for a certain amount of time or do you get a regular daily schedule with evenings and week-ends off (unless you're sent in a specific PO)?

MikeL

« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2011, 08:42:05 »
For Infantry, BMQ-L and DP1 is combined.  Yes during periods of the course you will probably be confined to barracks at nights and weekends, but later in the course the staff can give you weekends off, etc. 

Offline denimboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2011, 09:23:13 »
For Infantry, BMQ-L and DP1 is combined.  Yes during periods of the course you will probably be confined to barracks at nights and weekends, but later in the course the staff can give you weekends off, etc.

For that part yes.
(This might not be the best thread to ask in, sorry)
My question was regarding courses following BMQ-L/DP1. Not sure if it's still valid but if I look at the CF Courses List thread it should be QL3, QL6A, QL6B and QL7.

So BMQ (which is now 10 weeks) + BMQ-L/DP1/BIQ = about 20 weeks right?

Just so I can manage how long I would be confined.

Thanks

MikeL

« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2011, 18:18:23 »
My question was regarding courses following BMQ-L/DP1.

Then you should word your question properly, not asking what happens after BMQ-L as that is not the final course you do before leaving the training system.

My question was regarding courses following BMQ-L/DP1. Not sure if it's still valid but if I look at the CF Courses List thread it should be QL3, QL6A, QL6B and QL7.

QL3 is DP1. Also theres QL4 and QL5 courses before QL6, etc. Anyways, once you are trained and at your unit you will get into a routine, work during the day, and nights and weekends off when you are in garrison.  There will be the occasional field ex, which can last anywhere from 1 week to 2 months.  There are some QL4 level courses, some you get to go home at night, others will require you to be in the field.  And career courses will have you away from your home in the training barracks, and everything that is involved with that.    Also for Infantry career courses AFAIK they don't call them QL3, QL4, etc it is DP1, DP2, etc

In short, yes when not on course or in the field you will have time off and be able to do what you want, etc.

Offline denimboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2011, 18:34:22 »
Thank you!   :)

(sorry for the not so clear question. It wasn't clear in my head either with all the name changes/different designations per trade, etc.).

Offline owa

• Episode 666
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: March 10, 2011, 22:12:57 »
Finished BMQ today. Head to Gagetown Friday morning for BMQ-L.  Course starts March 15 and ends April 13.  At least that is what my orders say but we will see.  I am excited to get going so fast after BMQ, but I think this course is going to kick my *** haha.

Offline owa

• Episode 666
  • Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:29 »
Well we just finishes the field portion and I fnish this Wednesday.  It isn't as bad as some might think.  You get a lot of **** and the pt is more demanding for sure.  With that said, it is mostly class time and they really want you to learn this stuff so you will be given a lot of help.  They generally don't give you much shot during class time for this reason.  It is a change from basic because the staff are a lot more like co workers.  You eat it at times but they will shoot the crap with you and have some pretty creative insults haha.

My big tip is finding a platoon standard as quickly as possible.  Our first week was rough because of this.  They will give you a standard but if someone is missing certain kit you have to work around that as a group.  The soone that happens, the better off you will be.

Just two days of classes and then off to wainwright for a couple of months!

Offline WarriorMonk

• Rate Post
« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:25 »
I'm currently nominated for BMQ(L) (PRes) for this June 2011, however, I'm getting pushback from my employer about taking 4 weeks off.  Has anyone heard whether there are weekend BMQ(L) (formerly SQ) courses planned for 2011 in LFCA?  This summer and/or fall?

Thanks!
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.  - Dalai Lama

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:56 »
My crystal ball says.....don't hold your breath.....

In all seriousness course dates come and go and are always subject to last minute cancellation....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline PJGary

• Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2011, 03:37:20 »

:facepalm: As long... :facepalm:...as nobody... :facepalm:...loses their bayonet... :facepalm:...somewhere in the TA Friday afternoon  :crybaby: hahaha.
Cù-Chaorach

The 3 rules of the army:

Rule #1: Always look cool.
Rule #2: Always know what you're doing.
Rule #3: If you don't know what you're doing...always look cool.

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2011, 01:35:00 »
I don't know what it is, but this seems to happen to alot of people.

Offline doerksen27

• Rate Post
« Reply #337 on: August 17, 2012, 12:31:00 »
SQ run's differently for every trade and those set dates can change at any time. You will learn very quickly that the army ****s you around. In my trade (armour) we don't have SQ. Our SQ is combined with our trades training and we call it DP1. this past summer we ran 4 courses then they decided to fill up the holding barracks, cancel the rest f the courses and not schedule another one until June 2013  :facepalm:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:31 »
SQ run's differently for every trade and those set dates can change at any time. You will learn very quickly that the army ****s you around. In my trade (armour) we don't have SQ. Our SQ is combined with our trades training and we call it DP1. this past summer we ran 4 courses then they decided to fill up the holding barracks, cancel the rest f the courses and not schedule another one until June 2013  :facepalm:

There is no longer an animal called SQ.  It is BMQ (L) now. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline kc-limoges

• Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2012, 08:23:40 »
There is no longer an animal called SQ.  It is BMQ (L) now.

From what I've heard through my chain of command, though this is for reserves and I can't speak for Reg Force; there won't be an SQ or BMQ-L any longer, they will be calling it the "Delta Package" and it will be roughly a week long addition to DP1, where you learn everything you would have throughout BMQ-L.

At this point they are still offering BMQ-L to those who wish to take it, but it's only for personal gains and knowledge...it won't officially count towards be trained.

Again, this is from an infantry reservists point of view.

MikeL

« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:23 »
kc-limoges,   AFAIK BMQ-Land is still going to be run,  how ever things are different for the Infantry.  The Infantry will do BMQ then move onto DP1 and do the Delta Package as well as other Supplemental training during the year.  During that training you will cover everything that is taught on BMQ-Land as well as all your Infantry training.  Supplemental training will cover what is taught on the Regular Force DP1 course but is not taught on the Reserve one due to time constraints. If you have DWAN access,  all of this info on the Gagetown site/cabinets in the DP1 Infantry folder.  You can find it by going to the Infantry school site and clicking on a course and anything on the left bar,  it will open up the cabinets site.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:39:41 by -Skeletor- »

Offline kc-limoges

• Rate Post
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2012, 04:13:58 »
Seen. Thanks for the heads up Skeletor, that kind of puts things into perspective for me and makes much more sense. I appreciate it. I don;t have DWAN access at the moment, hopefully I'll be able to take a look at some point though.

Cheers

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #342 on: December 18, 2012, 14:37:03 »
Is anyone in a position to speak to BMQ-L for RMS clerks after BMQ? I have a friend about to go RegF RMS clerk (army), and starting BMQ pretty soon. I've been unable despite searching to find out anything about where they go for BMQ-L. Any information anyone could give on this would be helpful. Thank you.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

MikeL

« Reply #343 on: December 18, 2012, 15:18:46 »
From what I've seen clerks will either do BMQ-Land after BMQ if there is time,  others will go directly to their QL3 after a stint in PRETC.  Those who do not do BMQ-Land prior to QL3 will do it afterwards,  or not at all -not sure how common that is,  but there are a few people who are Army that have never done SQ/BMQ-Land.

As for where,  they will go to any of the ATCs that run the course such as Wainwright, Shilo, Meaford, Gagetown, etc. 

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #344 on: December 18, 2012, 15:47:33 »
From what I've seen clerks will either do BMQ-Land after BMQ if there is time,  others will go directly to their QL3 after a stint in PRETC.  Those who do not do BMQ-Land prior to QL3 will do it afterwards,  or not at all -not sure how common that is,  but there are a few people who are Army that have never done SQ/BMQ-Land.

As for where,  they will go to any of the ATCs that run the course such as Wainwright, Shilo, Meaford, Gagetown, etc.

She's looking at about 4 months between the end of BMQ and the commencement of RMS QL3. I would hope int hat time they've be able to get her BMQ-L. She hopes to get to a field force unit, so not doing the course would not be advantageous at all.

Thanks for the info- it helps build the picture. Much appreciated.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline down on the upside

• Rate Post
« Reply #345 on: March 12, 2013, 13:23:02 »
I'm currently in BMQ-L for PRes slated to be completed June 2nd, it looks like the next course would be DP1 but supposedly it's only 2 weeks long (Armour Recce) and it's in the middle of July. I almost never get 4 months off from work in the summer but I was able to negotiate a break between rotations. Is there any courses I can take befor DP1 and immediately afterwards (is DP2 possible?) I want to speak to the holding troop commander next parade and make sure I make the most of this break.

Offline down on the upside

• Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:01 »
I'm currently in BMQ-L for PRes slated to be completed June 2nd, it looks like the next course would be DP1 but supposedly it's only 2 weeks long (Armour Recce) and it's in the middle of July. I almost never get 4 months off from work in the summer but I was able to negotiate a break between rotations. Is there any courses I can take befor DP1 and immediately afterwards (is DP2 possible?) I want to speak to the holding troop commander next parade and make sure I make the most of this break.

So it took some time, some perseverance (asked around a lot and got to know a lot of NCM in the regiment) and patience but it looks like I will be getting loaded on DP1 and DP2. Unfortunately there are no other courses available to me, but at least I'm getting the most out of summer training

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2013, 18:53:42 »
After doing a CT almost 10 years ago and having the Pres BMQ-L on my MPRR as a national qual I got told by the unit that I need to submit a PLAR for BMQ-L because as they put it it's Pres BMQ-L and not BMQ-L. Went to CDA web site and couldn't find anything for BMQ-L equivalencies for PLARs and it's not even on the new PLAR form they have. I thought that when you do a CT they do a PLAR  to transfer your quals and time in. This is the first time my Pres BMQ-L hasn't been recognized. Anyone know if a PLAR is even necessary?

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #348 on: June 11, 2013, 20:36:23 »
BMQ-L/Soldier Qualification isn't a CDA qualification. It's an Army qualification. Where you need to look is the Land Forces Command Order governing equivalencies. LFCO 24-20.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #349 on: June 11, 2013, 21:50:36 »
Do you still have a copy of your offer? I was granted all courses on PLAR automatically. Who is questioning your BMQ-L? Sending a Cpl with operational experience on a SQ because they don't think it holds up to the Big R standard seems out to lunch to me.