Author Topic: Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application  (Read 94036 times)

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
Re: Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 00:52:07 »
Could one work casual or on call shifts for EMS while employed as a Reg Force Med Tech?  Would this be frowned upon?
A sucking chest wound is Mother Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Offline Great White Hype

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:56 »
Could one work casual or on call shifts for EMS while employed as a Reg Force Med Tech?  Would this be frowned upon?

There are, for the record some bases that have MCSP (maintenance of clinical skills) programs set up with their local EMS providers to enable practicing medical technicians to stay current with their protocols.

It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to work as a casual EMS worker granted that the EMS service doesn't have any expectations of availability. You must remember that serving in the CF is the priority and realistically one should be prepared to deploy at any given time. It would also depend on wether your CO would allow and if the operational tempo of the unit that you are attached to could facilitate your desire to work a PT job.

From experience, it seems very difficult to work a PT job, however I can't say that it cant be done. It would just be alot simpler to do this the other way around. ie. EMS full-time + MedTech Pt.

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 15:17:57 »
There are, for the record some bases that have MCSP (maintenance of clinical skills) programs set up with their local EMS providers to enable practicing medical technicians to stay current with their protocols.

Does the Reg Force member have to get registered under the Provincial body in that province where he is posted to be eligible for the MCSP?  I'm licensed under 2 Provinces; BC & AB.  With that being said, in regards to license maintenance for the 2 im registered in, how would this work so they do not expire while in the Reg Force?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 15:48:38 »
It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to work as a casual EMS worker granted that the EMS service doesn't have any expectations of availability.

<snip>

It would just be alot simpler to do this the other way around. ie. EMS full-time + MedTech Pt.

There is the question of Labour Mobility: "While most Canadians can now benefit from full labour mobility, there are a small number of professions for which additional requirements are needed when moving to another province and/or territory.":
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=511429

Assuming you are qualified to work in that province, does your local EMS hire part-timers? The city I worked for has never hired, or used, part-timers or casuals. Certainly not since 1933. Everyone is full-time permanent.

As far as working full-time EMS and the Reserves, because of the shift-work, you may not be available for a lot of evening parades and week-end excercises. Even if you are off, the department frequently calls for "voluntary" overtime. Especially on weekends. 

Being a Med.Tech is not emergent care, and those who have experience with that sort of job often find the pace and scope to be slow and limiting.

Good point. 9-1-1 types may feel more at home working the street.
I had to look up the word "emergent". We just say "emergency" ( as in Emergency Medical Service ):
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/emergent.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 21:12:22 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 15:29:59 »
Does the Reg Force member have to get registered under the Provincial body in that province where he is posted to be eligible for the MCSP?  I'm licensed under 2 Provinces; BC & AB.  With that being said, in regards to license maintenance for the 2 im registered in, how would this work so they do not expire while in the Reg Force?

I saw this today. It seems to be recent.
There is mention of MCSP at the 03:55 mark:
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/medicaltechnician-70

This is from the Province of British Columbia. As you are certified in that province, you may find it of interest:
"Canadian Paramedic Regulators Working Group: Statement of Intent Regarding Labour Mobility for Paramedics":
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/intent.html

"Currently more than 20 regulatory designations for paramedics exist over the 10 jurisdictions, involving different regulatory approaches and entry-to-practice requirements."

"Regulators confirmed that they would continue to require recent, active practice as a condition of registration."

If posted to Ontario ( and if authorized by the CF ), "I am a qualified paramedic in another Province or Territory of Canada. What steps must I take before I can be employed as a paramedic in Ontario?":
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/equiv_qa.html#3

A point to remember is that there is a lot of mandated overtime in EMS. That is, you never know for sure when you will be going off duty, because of last minute calls. They can ( and do ) routinely force end-of-shift overtime on Paramedics. You do not have the right to refuse. ( No problem, we knew that when we hired on. That situation has improved greatly in recent years. )
Under municipal law ( at least in Toronto ), Police, Fire and Paramedics are not considered to be civilians.
Which is one of the reasons they do not hire part-timers, as this could lead to a potential conflict if you have a commitment to another employer.

From what I understand, finding employment in Ontario is very difficult. Some find work with the private non-emergency transfer companies. Some look for work in remote areas up north, or other parts of Canada:
August 27, 2010
"Ont. paramedics recruited to N.L.":
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/08/27/nl-paramedic-hires-827.html?ref=rss

( Interesting comments. )

Toronto EMS ( from Wikipedia ):
"The 'Baby Boom' generation is aging. As it does so, all of those 'boomers' become net consumers of health care, driving up demand for services. Simultaneously, all of those 'boomers' employed by the service in the early 1970s are reaching the end of their careers and retiring. Since subsequent generations are typically much smaller, the service is experiencing difficulty in recruiting suitably trained replacement staff, just as demand for services is increasing."

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 13:42:39 by mariomike »

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 18:32:21 »

I can't speak for other provinces, but in AB you are required to keep your registration up to date. In fact, in order to do on-car MCSP in AB, you have to be registered in AB. The CF puts a great deal of energy, time, and resources into ensuring that RegF MedTechs in AB have the best chance of success at the AB exams. In AB, you can count all of your "green" time towards your patient contact hours, so you'll have well over the requirement. You'll also have to do your the College of Paramedics CME modules, and keep any other qualifications up to date.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 18:50:44 »
Ditto for New Brunswick.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 02:57:47 »
Thank you for the replies MM, Modlr and Mario.   My registration within BC and AB will knowingly expire due to myself attending BMQ in January.   I will have to re-apply and spend yet more money to get renewed if stationed in either Province.  :(  Or does the Forces cover the cost of PCP/EMT licensing for MCSP (if required to be licensed) in the Province which you are posted to?

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:01 »
Or does the Forces cover the cost of PCP/EMT licensing for MCSP (if required to be licensed) in the Province which you are posted to?

The last time I did it, yes. Things change however, and it's best to check when you arrive at your posting and have obtained your registration.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 13:33:46 »
Thank you for the replies MM, Modlr and Mario.   My registration within BC and AB will knowingly expire due to myself attending BMQ in January.   I will have to re-apply and spend yet more money to get renewed if stationed in either Province.  :(  Or does the Forces cover the cost of PCP/EMT licensing for MCSP (if required to be licensed) in the Province which you are posted to?

Rafterman, you may find this of interest.

"Maintenance of Clinical Skills Program (MCSP)":
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/pdf/mcsp-pmcc/man-eng.pdf
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/mcsp-pmcc/AnnA-eng.asp
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/mcsp-pmcc/AnnB-eng.asp
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 13:49:51 by mariomike »

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:02 »
I've been curious about this for awhile so I shall ask before I put all of the JIBC PCP school things into storage.   What books from the PCP course should I bring with myself to BMQ?  Essentials of Paramedic Care 1&2, The thick Pathophysiology book, theres a few more but cannot recall the names off the top of my head.   And the stethoscope?  Bring it all?

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2010, 01:29:56 »
Do you really want to drag all that stuff to BMQ?  Could you put the texts you want in a box at the front of the storage room, give a key to a trusted friend, and have them ship it to you after you're done BMQ and have a use for it?

Learn to travel light.  Yes, I'm sure the books will be helpful at some point...but you won't need them at BMQ.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:12 »
The CF will provide you with all the things you need to do your job, including the appropriate books and stethoscope. You need not bring any with you.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2010, 11:48:49 »
Ok, Thanks.

Offline Rafterman1

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2011, 12:32:30 »
I received a renewal notice from the Alberta College of Paramedics today asking for $340.00 to renew the EMT license for 2011.  I'm heading off to BMQ tomorrow and my license fee is due no later than 16 Feb.  After that date, theres a late fee of $175.00 and if i wish to reactivate my registration after 16 Feb, there is another $100.00 reinstatement fee.  Should I let this expire or notify the CFRC of this?  I think I may have letter coming from the BC EMALB as well to renew the PCP. 

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2011, 20:00:45 »
Notify CFRC.

Personally knowing what I know right now, if you are coming into Reg F, you probably do not need to renew this year, as you may not be posted back to Alberta. Also, after you are trained (i.e. completed your QL 3 and posted) the CF covers professional membership fees under the MCSP program.

But this is my opinion, I do not have any regulations to back this up.

Offline MediPea

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2011, 08:50:26 »
The issue I've found is that I was licensed in BC upon completion of my PCP. Now I'm posted in Ontario and I asked about challenging the Ontario exam to become licensed here. I was told that the unit will only pay for QL5's to do this. I also haven't received any opportunities for MCSP, and I've been posted for over 2 years now. So now my license in BC has expired and I do not hold any sort of qualification in Ontario. I'd hoped the military would have been more supportive of keeping us Med Tech's licensed so that the training we'd received would be more useful.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2011, 11:49:20 »
Medi brings up a good point; with the emphasis on AEC now for all QL5s and up, it does make more sense, both financially and in the skills, to concentrate the effort (and money) on having the majority of Med Techs maintain their civilian equivalency certificates at that level, remembering that PCP (which is the skill level you finish QL3) is the basic entry-level skill set that you are to advance forward of as you progress through your military career.

Personally for you, Medi, I would not sweat not having an opportunity to do MCSP yet, and I am sure you learned much more about your job in the last year than you would have by refreshing yourself with a month of ride-a-longs. Given the quality of your CSM, I am sure that you will have that MCSP opportunity between now and your QL5 course that will be coming shortly.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2011, 12:22:11 »
The issue I've found is that I was licensed in BC upon completion of my PCP. Now I'm posted in Ontario and I asked about challenging the Ontario exam to become licensed here. I was told that the unit will only pay for QL5's to do this. I also haven't received any opportunities for MCSP, and I've been posted for over 2 years now. So now my license in BC has expired and I do not hold any sort of qualification in Ontario. I'd hoped the military would have been more supportive of keeping us Med Tech's licensed so that the training we'd received would be more useful.

On the subject of challenging PCP equivalency in Ontario.

"BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
Reference A is a confirmation letter by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, recognizing the CF QL5 Med Tech as meeting the PCP requirements to challenge the AEMCA exam, all QL5 Med Techs are encouraged to prepare for and write this exam with approval through their Chain of Command.  Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario. Med Techs (M) who qualify are also eligible for the writing of the exam.":
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/hp-ps/mcsp-pmcc/aemca-eng.asp
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 14:46:36 by mariomike »

Offline MediPea

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2011, 15:41:36 »
Personally for you, Medi, I would not sweat not having an opportunity to do MCSP yet, and I am sure you learned much more about your job in the last year than you would have by refreshing yourself with a month of ride-a-longs. Given the quality of your CSM, I am sure that you will have that MCSP opportunity between now and your QL5 course that will be coming shortly.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to deploy as early as I did in my career. I definitely learned more in that 7 month period than many people learn over a period of many years in a civilian hospital. For that I am very grateful.

QL5's are fastly approaching for many of us at the unit. However I've applied to start University in the fall  (Bachelor of Nursing) and am now just waiting on my acceptance so that I can start my Component transfer to the reserves. We'll see where my career takes me after that.  :)

Offline Valentine

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2011, 20:27:01 »
Okay, so reading this makes me nervous.

In May I will be a licensed ACP. I have been in the P Res for three years in the Infantry and have BMQ, SQ, DP1 Infantry, DP2A, Comms and Driver Wheel. I guess I expected to bipass the PCP portion of QL3 and maybe even keep my Cpl rank. I assume I will not have to take reg force BMQ/SQ etc either.

I have posed questions to my unit about switching from P RES Infantry to Reg force Med Tech but was wondering what to expect from you who have gone through the process.

Right now I believe I need to take the 16 week field training in Bordon.

If I ever get a transfer will I only be a PCP? That makes my ACP training go to waste if I cannot use those skills in the CF?

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:21 »
The ACP training will not go to waste.  Training never goes to waste if you learned something.

You will not be using the complete ACP skill set that you have acquired on civi-street in the CF as it was decided sometime ago not to go with a ACP skill set for our Med Techs but rather a skill based solution (AEC) that met our needs the CF (especially in the field) at the QL5A level.

Again training progression for Med Techs (Reg F) right now is:

BMQ  (or BMQ-L)
SQ

- CFB Borden
QL3 (Clinical Phase, PCP Phase - civilian school, Field Phase)
   - You are now an "apprentice" Med Tech
   - Badged to the Canadian Forces Medical Service 
   - First posting to a CFHS Unit

QL5A (Clinical Phase, AEC Phase - civilian school, Field Phase)
   - You are now a fully qualified "journeyman Med Tech"

- Then if you show leadership potential.
PLQ
QL6A
QL6B - Physician Assistant (Phase I - Borden, Phase II - rotations, Phase III - testing)
ILQ
ALQ
CQ

There are now frequent waivers (based on a the Prior Learning Assessment - PLAR process) for PCP if you hold that qualification on civilian street / are NCM SEP.   

Even with PCP/ACP I suspect strongly that you will have to do the Clinical Phase of the QL3. Much of it will be easy for you as you have seen the material. It is probably not worth the PLAR and you will just have to treat the material you have seen as a nice refresher and a indoctrination to the Medical Service (in fact a total clinical waiver is seldom given unless you were a  Reserve Force Med A / Med Tech).   I encourage you as someone who has time in the CF already and who knows the material to step up to the plate and be a leader in the class helping those that are still struggling with the military aspects of CF life or who are having problems with the material.

Planning to spend some time in Borden for Clinical and Field Phase is a good ideas.  It might be 16 weeks of instruction (+/- a week or two) but since those Phases are not back to back you might have a pause awhile you wait to join a Field Phase after competing you Clinical Phase.

As well as trying to have some fun along the way....  there is some movement afoot to chance this "pipeline" but nothing is going to happen in the next year (or two, or three) so do not get too worried.

Good luck at making the cross over.

MC

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2011, 09:46:09 »
Assuming you are coming in as a Reg F med tech, your skills will not be wasted. You may not be able to fully use them for the first couple years. But once you are QL5, then you will be able to use your full scope, when employed in that role.

Remember though, the pay and benefits you will receive as a CF member will be better than most civilian agencies.

edit to add: In addition to what MC said, once you are in and qualified QL3/5  there are select positions at certain units where a fit, motivated, cbt arms experienced Med Techs will be able to be challenged beyond what most regular Med Techs are able to do.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:51:40 by Rider Pride »

Offline Valentine

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2011, 10:56:17 »
Thanks for the information guys. By clinical time I assume you mean an in hospital rotation versus a clinical class where you learn IV's etc... I will have around 600 in hospital/ambulance clinical hours and re learning skills seems like a waste of time. However, I will do it if i have to! When you say QL3 and QL5 courses what skillset are you tought on these? I searched last night but could not find a breakdown of the courses. I am assuming QL3 is your intro to ivs and meds while QL5 is intubation/chest decompressions etc. And is QL5 when you are deployable?

Lots of questions! These are the ones my unit cannot answer. I am also hopefully taking PLQ Infantry this summer to knock that off the list of things to do.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2011, 11:07:47 »
QL3's have deployed.