Author Topic: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]  (Read 194688 times)

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
Re: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 09:49:34 »
Saw a spreadsheet yesterday.

I apparently have 1083 Sea Days.

*shrug*  Might be right. 

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 14:52:06 »
Saw a spreadsheet yesterday.

I apparently have 1083 Sea Days.

*shrug*  Might be right. 

NS

Hmmm is this spread sheet open for all to see ?
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 14:57:29 »
Seen my time today as well, seems like I have 1620. I know I have more, but since I meet the criteria for the gold I guess it doesn't matter.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 15:08:02 »

It's not available in the production version of Monitor/MASS yet.  If you know someone who has Beta you should be able to see your days.

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 15:09:51 »
It's not available in the production version of Monitor/MASS yet.  If you know someone who has Beta you should be able to see your days.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 17:24:56 »
Not sure the source, but it came from my COC, and showed the sea days of the entire ship's company. 

I think the highest number was in the 1900's....that's almost 200 sailing days per year for 20 years....

Care to guess his trade??

Hint #1...NOT MARS

:-P

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 17:59:53 »
I think the highest number was in the 1900's....that's almost 200 sailing days per year for 20 years....

:orly:

New math?   ;)

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 19:54:32 »
Oopsie.

Brain took a momentary vacation on me....insert FAIL icon here.

(face-palm....?)

I've been busy thinking about why they'd send a bunch of CSE guys out for the new Attack team Leader course (50% of the Journeymen LS's in the entire department GONE for 2 days during a SWP....)  and the CSE guys will, in all likelyhood, never be an Attack Team leader....

Pre-occupied. 

I'll sign up for remedial math tomorrow.

;D

NS
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 19:37:36 by NavyShooter »

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 15:34:51 »
I see the new production version of monitor mass is out now, lots of gaps to be fixed.  Apparently where we work we will be in charge of updating the sea days for our people a pretty big task to be sure.  Interestingly I was also given a database today of every CF ship since 1955 and the sea days for each, looks pretty good and an excellent  tool to figure out actual days at sea.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 15:48:55 »
I checked Monitor Mass today and the numbers were in there. Our section ranged from 760-1700 days.
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 16:42:47 »
I see the new production version of monitor mass is out now, lots of gaps to be fixed.  Apparently where we work we will be in charge of updating the sea days for our people a pretty big task to be sure.  Interestingly I was also given a database today of every CF ship since 1955 and the sea days for each, looks pretty good and an excellent  tool to figure out actual days at sea.

I will have to check MM when I am back to work tomorrow.  After my CT, my sea time did not cross over to my new MPRR.  My BOR is in the process of requesting my file through the Privacy Act to track everything down.

As for the ship database, does it include the MCDVs too?  Would you mind sharing 2002-2006 for SAS and WHI, if it does?  Thanks.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 17:18:20 »
Chief Stoker,

I can imagine that would be a tough data-base to have developed.

Question.  Does it count days in foreign port?

NS

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 18:14:13 »
The database shows days at sea for each ship and has a search feature. I can't attest how accurate it is, I would imagine there are instances where it is not due the data available and difficulty obtaining it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 18:17:16 by Chief Stoker »

كافر

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 18:24:01 »
Question.  Does it count days in foreign port?

Days at anchor or foreign port do not count. Also days less than 8 hours underway do not count as well.
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:59 »
The database shows days at sea for each ship and has a search feature. I can't attest how accurate it is, I would imagine there are instances where it is not due the data available and difficulty obtaining it.

Actually, it ought to be near perfect and should have been easy to produce. The math wiz at operational research have had every ship in commission file a monthly Ship Activity Report every month for the last 60 years. This report, compiled by the Nav. O's from the ship's logs and OOW notebooks, have to be a continuous description of the employment of the ship accounting for every hour  of its service. No gaps allowed. So for each ship in commission, you know precisely which hours you were at sea, at anchor or alongside for the whole duration of her service.

It doesn't tell you who was onboard in any given hour, however.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 09:26:44 »
If someone has access to Mon Mass and is willing to look up stuff for me please PM me as at my current unit we have neither Mon Mass or do I have access to somone who does.

Or email me on the Din thanks Andrew.Kenny@forces.gc.ca

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Sailorwest

• Rate Post
  • IN PACE BELLUM PARA
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 09:56:16 »
Actually, it ought to be near perfect and should have been easy to produce. The math wiz at operational research have had every ship in commission file a monthly Ship Activity Report every month for the last 60 years. This report, compiled by the Nav. O's from the ship's logs and OOW notebooks, have to be a continuous description of the employment of the ship accounting for every hour  of its service. No gaps allowed. So for each ship in commission, you know precisely which hours you were at sea, at anchor or alongside for the whole duration of her service.

It doesn't tell you who was onboard in any given hour, however.
In some weird way, I feel somewhat proud of the fact that I managed to get MWS command qualified and I'm not anywhere close enough to get one of these badges. In fact I will never be getting one. I assume that a good majority of my sea time is in the 'doesn't count' category.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:22 »
Days at anchor or foreign port do not count. Also days less than 8 hours underway do not count as well.

Days at anchor do count.  The note to the policy guidance for the SSI states:

"Unlike the criteria applied for civilian certification, time spent at anchor will count towards the SSI.  OPERATION HESTIA highlights the efforts of our sea-going personnel even while at anchor.  However, as this will require an amendment in the way ships report sea-days, D Mar Pers will only commence crediting time at anchor once the sea-day reports are amended to include time at anchor (anticipated 1 Jan 11)"

In some weird way, I feel somewhat proud of the fact that I managed to get MWS command qualified and I'm not anywhere close enough to get one of these badges. In fact I will never be getting one. I assume that a good majority of my sea time is in the 'doesn't count' category.

How is that possible?

Offline Sailorwest

• Rate Post
  • IN PACE BELLUM PARA
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 14:23:55 »
Days at anchor do count.  The note to the policy guidance for the SSI states:

"Unlike the criteria applied for civilian certification, time spent at anchor will count towards the SSI.  OPERATION HESTIA highlights the efforts of our sea-going personnel even while at anchor.  However, as this will require an amendment in the way ships report sea-days, D Mar Pers will only commence crediting time at anchor once the sea-day reports are amended to include time at anchor (anticipated 1 Jan 11)"

How is that possible?
How is what possible?
Not having enough sea time to even be close? A lot of the MWS west coast sailing is day sails, in and out of ports, doing lots of shiphandling for alongside and departures but doesn't count. Great experience but no accumulation for SSI.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 14:35:52 »
How is what possible?
Not having enough sea time to even be close? A lot of the MWS west coast sailing is day sails, in and out of ports, doing lots of shiphandling for alongside and departures but doesn't count. Great experience but no accumulation for SSI.

I guess I just overestimated the amount of 8-hour periods at sea it would take to gain a MWS command ticket.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 15:37:11 »
I finally got into MM today and then forgot my %$#@* password! I do know that as a new Cert 3 in the early 90s, I was passed around to an AWFUL LOT OF SHIPS and none of them show on my MPRR as A'dP-ings...Oh well...It isn't all about glory!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 15:39:49 by Pat in Halifax »
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline NavalMoose

• Rate Post
  • "Life in a blue suit"
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 19:35:43 »
I saw my Sea day count in MM today....1209, will bring in my RN docs to put me over the top for gold, whenever they come out is anybody's guess.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 19:50:19 »
Anything connected to sea time has not shown on my MPRR since my CT.  However, I am curious as to whether the update on MM will do anything for me.  I did a quick peek today but I don't find the update quite as user friendly as when it first came out (aka I don't like change!  lol).  Could someone please tell me where they went to find anything regarding seadays or sea time.  Thanks!
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 09:38:44 »
The SSI webpage is now updated with a link to the database for sea day counts http://mshq.mil.ca/dmarp-dperm/dmarp2-dperm2/ssi-ism/default-eng.asp. The online vertification forms are located at http://halifax.mil.ca/N1/N1/monitor_mass.htm. All are on the DIN only.

كافر

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 10:02:04 »
Did some quick math, and it looks like mine is pretty close to correct.

Life is good.